Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it disrespectful to walk on people's graves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

xflyer wrote: »
    A lot of graveyards are very busy so it's hard to avoid other people's graves. When I went to show my sons their granny's grave. Not my Mother (she's still alive) but hers. I had no choice and they could give a damm. We stamped all over other people's graves.

But I don't think they care and frankly I wouldn't either being dead and all. So it's not an issue. If dead people were aware of anything they'd be glad anyone came near them.

It's not that the dead would notice but that living family members would and frankly it shouldn't even need to be said to anyone who had any cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

paddyandy wrote: »
    If you walk on a grave and you wake in the night with something tugging at yer ankle then it's time to stop it .
    :eek: I have kinemortophobia, so no you won't catch me doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

To all the thundering gobsheens saying 'they're just bones lol!' have you had the grief of burying a loved one in the last few years? Thought not, because your attitude would be very, very different.

As for walking on them, well if there's no way around it (as is the case in certain parts of old cemeteries) and you have to walk within the grave's demarcation, so be it, but try to disturb it as little as possible. As for someone who'd deliberately walk on someone's grave, they should probably look up the terms 'morals' and 'respect' because they clearly have neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

If it had been your sons graves (god forbid), would you feel the same about people "stamping" all over them?
    I'm realistic to realise that sometimes there is no choice. That's my point.

The dead don't care.

You didn't answer the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

would it not be more a case of dancing on one's grave.. in this disco bunny climate - what about having a sesh on one's tomb. like we used to do in the graveyard across the road. The old boy was still the life n soul, tbh

The dead don't care.

Obviously the dead don't care, that's not the issue. I think you're missing the point that cemeteries serve a greater purpose to the living than the dead, because they represent a loved one's final resting place, offer a defined place for quiet reflection towards the deceased and so you shouldn't walk on other people's graves because the living certainly care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

D'oh! No :rolleyes:

As if they'll care!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I wouldn't, and would take offence at someone "stomping" across the grave of a friend or family member. I think it's the height of bad manners when done in a "oh nobody cares" way. At times stepping on a grave is unavoidable, but it should be avoided when possible as a sign of respect. Sadly, too many ignorant kids grow up today thinking all religious beliefs are silly with the "silly beliefs don't deserve respect" mantra. To those I say tread softly dumbass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Well sure people can't help it, it's my garden

Oh I've said too much, yes yes, very disrespectful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

No- only to piss on them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is it disrespectful to dig up someone's grave?

marty1985 wrote: »
    . Sadly, too many ignorant kids grow up today...

Not to mention the utter morons they have for parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Weylin wrote: »
    where/how did you come up with this,that is the most ,dumbest,ignorant conclusion that ever explains the existance of humans.please go back to your x-box,toys :pac::pac::pac:
    No more dumb or ignorant than the notion that it's the dead person's final 'resting' place and a few footsteps of a human (but strangely enough not a fox, badger or any other animal) would disturb them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I try not to walk on graves, its a small matter of respect for me, thats all.
    Its a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

To all the thundering gobsheens saying 'they're just bones lol!' have you had the grief of burying a loved one in the last few years? Thought not, because your attitude would be very, very different.

As for walking on them, well if there's no way around it (as is the case in certain parts of old cemeteries) and you have to walk within the grave's demarcation, so be it, but try to disturb it as little as possible. As for someone who'd deliberately walk on someone's grave, they should probably look up the terms 'morals' and 'respect' because they clearly have neither.

So I'm a gobsheen am I? That's nice. I think you should get off your high horse of respect before you start calling names.

Stop presuming how other people will think. I buried someone very close to me just over a year ago but I still think its a pile of bones in a wooden box in the ground. I know that the dead person won't notice so it doesn't bother me in that respect. To quote another poster I don't "show respect to silly religious beliefs". Although I wouldn't walk across a grave not out of respect but just not to offend anyone or cause myself trouble. Maybe that is respect, but for the living, not a corpse.

As for posters who go and call names and make presumptions without reading into the situation "they should probably look up the terms 'morals' and 'respect' because they clearly have neither."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

No it's not disrespectful depending on the age of said grave.

To make some money tho I enjoy strealing headstones, sanding them down and re-selling them on......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    No it's not disrespectful depending on the age of said grave.

To make some money tho I enjoy strealing headstones, sanding them down and re-selling them on......
    What is this "strealing" you speak of? If it involves a swag bag count me in.

Also as a rule I wouldn't walk on a grave as a mark of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

People forgetting the living. If I saw someone walking on a grave of a loved one when it's easy to not walk on it then I would not be happy. Goes without saying I wouldn't nonchalantly stroll on someones grave.

Would you stand on a child's newly dug grave? Or is that different suddenly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Personally? Yes I think so, but primarily a sign of disrespect to the family, relatives, friends etc of the dead rather than the dead person themselves.

I would avoid it when at all possible, there's no real need to be walking over the graves of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It obviously depends on the age of the grave, and whether there's likely to be family members and friends still visiting it, in which case, it's a little disrespectful to them.

But as someone else already mentioned, there's people buried under just about every square foot of land in this country. Grave site's can't remain sacred forever, or we'd run out of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Kinda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Yes I think it's disrespectful . And if at all possible I dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I try as best I can, not to walk on a grave.

I cant help feeling that I'm actually treading on someone, or disturbing someone. Silly, I know, but if its someones Final 'Resting' place, then it should be respected imo.

As rightly pointed out earlier, if treading on the grave to tend to it/change flowers etc, thats ok.

Just walking on it to take a shortcut/laziness/disrespect is a shameful act.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There are people who cannot even tolerate the idea of the sacred .It disturbs them .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Jeez it's hard to believe that 88 people would just trudge over the graves of other peoples family members. Would ye jump on the coffin when it is in the funeral parlour as well I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Would ye jump on the coffin when it is in the funeral parlour as well I wonder?

Depends how sexy she was/is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It is either disrespectful or is it isnt. Like in the way, saying "You're a cnut" is universally seen to be disrespectful.
    But in the his case, walking alone through a graveyard taking shortcuts is disrespectful, but on the day of a packed funeral, 100s of people climbing all over graves is no bother at all. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

Well when i am dead i would not care but it is disrespectfull

Advertisement