Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engine Warning Light

• 25-08-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads

This morning the "glow plug/engine management" light came on and stayed on in my van (2004 nissan kubistar 1.5 dci 70 bhp - same as renault kangoo, 150,000 miles on clock)

It now won't go over 30 mph. I only drove 1 more mile as I was at work then.

I'm in cork but need to get to Dublin - is it safe to drive?
    Water and oil ok.
    Only thing is I had a worktop on the roof rack and it gathered a lot of water which flew over the bonnet at the first junction this morning but it was another 15 mins before the light came on.

Any ideas,
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Hi lads

This morning the "glow plug/engine management" light came on and stayed on in my van (2004 nissan kubistar 1.5 dci 70 bhp - same as renault kangoo, 150,000 miles on clock)

It now won't go over 30 mph. I only drove 1 more mile as I was at work then.

I'm in cork but need to get to Dublin - is it safe to drive?
    Water and oil ok.
    Only thing is I had a worktop on the roof rack and it gathered a lot of water which flew over the bonnet at the first junction this morning but it was another 15 mins before the light came on.

Any ideas,
    Thanks

You'll need to get the code read, but it sounds like it's gone into limp-home/safe mode. Could be any number of things.

Is there a garage anywhere near you? You could drop in and get the code read for a few quid, it might just need to be reset.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

I have a friend this light cam on with.
    First time it turned out to be a problem with the accelerator pedal position sensor, had to get new pedal set up. It was becasue alot of dirt and grit got into it cos he's a dirty plasterer. Do you have lots of dust or dirt around there?

second time it was a problem with the EGR valve, same as you would not go very fast. When he turns off key and back on again while driving the light goes off and it dirves fine for a good while.

Its safe i'd say, just you won't know for sure what it is until you get the fault code from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Thanks lads....I turned her on there and no light!!
    Drove her up the road there no problems.
    I'll get her looked at shortly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Thanks lads....I turned her on there and no light!!
    Drove her up the road there no problems.
    I'll get her looked at shortly.

Nice one. Could have been anything sensor related.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Thanks for the replies lads.
    Drove the 7 miles back this evening - no bother.
    Now...if you plug it into the computer will anything show up now the light is off? Like going to the dentist with a toothache and the pain going in the waiting room - the dentist will still see the problem.
    Hate to plug it in and nothing come up (actually would be happy with a clean bill of health!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

The codes are usually stored for several cycles of the ignition, so if you get it read soon, any stored codes will still be there. If car is ok now I reckon a sticky EGR valve was the cause, and will be confirmed by the presence of a P0400 code or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

i would be seriously worried.regarding injectors pump e.t.c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

i would be seriously worried.regarding injectors pump e.t.c

Based on what?

Advertisement