Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***EVENT 21st - 23rd January: Akumakon - A new convention in Galway!***

• 06-11-2010 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

AkumaKon is a new upcoming anime convention in Ireland. It will be held in The National University of Ireland, Galway.
    This new Con will be taking place on the 21-23 of January 2011!

Preregistration for Akumakon is now open!

Preregistration is open until 31st December (Subject to change).

What you will need:
    • Name
    • Address
    • Phone Number
    • Email Address
    • Con Pass Name
    • 20euro from a creditcard (Yes 3v vouchers work) or paypal account.

Due to the unique nature of every pass, you cannot buy multiple tickets in one go.

What you recieve!
    • T-Shirt
    • Customised Con Pass
    • Weekend Entry to our AMAZING convention

Any problems or questions, comment or PM me!

Why should you want to come to Akumakon?

We are lining this convention as one to be remembered for years to come. Firstly we have LittleKuriboh as our special guest! He is a very well known Voice Actor/SuperAwesomeGuy who created the Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged Series.
    http://www.yugiohabridged.com/
    If you don't know who this guy is... you really just have to click the link and find out for yourself. You have heard some of the phrases he has created: “Screw the rules! I have money!”, “In another few hours the sun will rise.”, “Must… wash… away… the sin…”, “Oh, come on. Just one little Mind Crush, it’ll barely hurt him.”, “Whenever Kaiba smiles, a puppy dies.”.
    Or the more popular "CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES".

We also may have more special guests to actually blow your mind, but these must be confirmed :D (WATCH THIS SPACE!)

Outside of special guests we will have a huge range of events taking place from Cosplay, Karaoke, Card Gaming, Console Gaming, LAN, Panels, a Pub Quiz, a Maid Café, an Artist Alley, Anime Showings, Workshops, A CLOAK ROOM and of course, Traders!

Getting a little bit excited now?

Well then, we can tell you that this is being held in NUI Galway's student building "Aras na Mac Leinn" which is a large, yet compact building so you won't have to walk your tired little legs far at all! Not even for drinking related shenanigans as the bar is literally 3 steps outside the building!

Now I think you might be buzzing just a little bit...

More amazing news! We are the cheapest large convention out there at the moment!

Prices: €20 - Weekend Pass, €12 - Day Pass

Prices may change in the future so use this as a reference only!

Where is the website?

Visit us here: http://www.akumakon.com/
    Submit your entries in the journal comment section and you could be in with a chance to see your art in our Con book!

Post, ask questions, discuss!

Regards,
    John Burke (Website/Tech Assistant)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Xenoronin wrote: »
    AkumaKon

What are the near by places to stay? I would be interested in going :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

This is a very basic list without much info but it should get you started on places you could stay! :D

Edit: I must also mention that since the University is very centralised in Galway, the max you would have to walk from the majority of these places is 20mins.
    To use a reference, it takes 15-20minutes to get from the bus station in Galway to the university.

Sleepzone

www.sleepzone.ie

091 566999

Bothar na mBan

Galway, Ireland

Snoozles

www.snoozleshostelgalway.ie

091 530064

College Rd.

Galway

Nimmos Hostel

http://nimmoshostel.com/

091 586661

1 Upper Dominick Street

Salmon Weir Hostel

www.salmonweirhostel.com

091 561133

Woodquay

3 St Vincents Ave

Kinlay House Hostel

www.kinlaygalway.ie

091 565244

Merchants Road

Eyre Square

Galway City Hostel

www.galwaycityhostel.com

091 566959

Frenchville Lane

Eyre Square

Claddagh Hostel

091 533555

Queen Street

Eyre Square

Barnacles Quay Street House

www.barnacles.ie

091 568 644

Quay Street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sweet, thanks for the info :). If I can get a few other anime peoples to book in with me we could have like an anime floor or something :P

If you have any contacts in a university you could organise going on the trip with them.
    If you are in uni, even better, you can go with a society and potentially get subsidised :D

Do try to come in a group, conventions are much more fun with more people that you know :D Eirtakon... that hostel was hilarious :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Sounds awesome - I definitely plan on going. Since I'm totally broke I'll just stay with friends :P

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I really want to go to this and wish you guys best of luck with it. If any help or advice is wanted relating to cosplay events feel free to PM me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

LittleKuriboh, you say? Well, I'm sold.:pac:

Our website is up and running! Come and join our community!
    http://www.akumakon.com

We are running a mascot contest and a Cosplay photoshoot contest!
    http://akuma-kon.deviantart.com/
    Read the journal comment section and you could be in with a chance to win!

I messed up earlier, sorry to anyone who /facepalmed at me posting the dA link twice -_-
    I think a Mod has to edit the original post! I don't seem to have access to it anymore :L

Am I totally blind? I can't see where you've linked to the dA twice in the OP at all... >_<

• Advertisement

I meant in that post, not the OP. I said that the website was up and running and linked to the dA page again. Could you edit in the fact that we have a website now plz :D:D

I meant in that post, not the OP. I said that the website was up and running and linked to the dA page again. Could you edit in the fact that we have a website now plz :D:D

Ah yes! I see now :P

Done for you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

I for one am looking forward to this event and/or product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Sweet, I'm there, and if you want a hand with any of the web stuff or promotions I live in Galway so I'd be willing to help. Could stick up a few flyers in GMIT to boot. :D

Spreading the word around GMIT would be awesome! I think I have the web stuff sorted for now, check out www.akumakon.com and if you have any improvements you think would be worthwhile, let me know in the suggestions board!

Is there any anime or related society in GMIT?

Preregistration for Akumakon is now open here!

Preregistration is open until 31st December (Subject to change).

What you will need:
    Name
    Address
    Phone Number
    Email Address
    Con Pass Name
    20euro from a creditcard (Yes 3v vouchers work) or paypal account.

Due to the unique nature of every pass, you cannot buy multiple tickets in one go.

What you recieve!
    T-Shirt
    Customised Con Pass
    Weekend Entry to our AMAZING convention :D

Any problems or questions, comment or PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

How about acomodation prices in Galway in winter prices?

I assume you mean "How much are each of the places listed, charging per night, per person, during the winter?"

Honestly I don't know. The details are there for you to ring them up and find out. I won't be ringing them up and getting quotes now as in a week or two, the prices may have changed. Besides, different places might offer group discounts, or discounts if you stay more than two nights. There are too many variables for me to publicly display the prices.

Our final guest has been announced!

masakox.jpg
    Lawrence "MasakoX" Simpson is a British-based voice actor, editor and fellow member of TeamFourStar who also does his own abridged series of Naruto and Kampfer. Over the last five years, Lawrence has lent his voice to over 100 amateur productions ranging from original flash animations to PC games. With this experience of voice-overs, he put together the voice acting series "MasaVox" in which he teaches the art of online voice acting. He now heads the anime review show "Anifile" available on thatguywiththeglasses.com. He is currently working as a freelance video editor in the UK.

I frickin' LOVE TeamFourStar!

This makes me happeh :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭batbaby

Hooray for Akumakon!! :D
    RRREEEAAAALLLLYYY looking forward to it chaps! ^^

More information for you chaps here at Boards :D

We are having Karaoke at the Con! Submit your requests here: Link

We are having an AMV Tournament. Rules and information can be found here!

Video Games! The tournaments we are having are:
    -Blazblue
    -Goldeneye
    -Pokèmon
    -Mario Kart
    More information here!

Preregistration is still open until 31st December! To get a free t-shirt and customised con pass, as well as weekend entry to the con for only €20, click here!

Me again!

Preregistration is now closed, thanks to all who did so and I hope you all enjoy your stay in Galway.

To all those who missed out, you can still pay at the door!
    20euro weekend pass
    12euro day pass

Ooooooops... totally forgot to pre-register >_<

Anyway, I'll still definitely be there \o/ Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Pity I can't make it to this, the lineup and stuff is looking amazing.

All things going well, we will be here next year too :D

Tell friends with similar interests to you about the convention! I feel we have done a pretty good job so far but nothing beats word of mouth for jamming it in people's heads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I was very close to going to this but it's a bit too soon after Christmas for me, I'm afraid. I'm just too broke right now.

Timetables have been uploaded to the info section of our website!
    Go look, plan your route through the convention and go OMFG at all the events we have up and running for your enjoyment.

If you want a direct link, look here :D

Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

2 hours of Blazblue, nice! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

As much as I was looking forward to this, unfortunately I won't be going. I would like to wish the Akumacon staff best of luck running the con, hope it will be a success so I can go and help out next year.:)

Advertisement