Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix for airy draw on kanger protank

• 02-05-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

hi guys,im new to vaping and from reading some threads here and youtube reviews the protank seemd to be what my first upgrade was to be.
    i ordered one and a twist battery and they arrived Tuesday mornin.

the airy draw,lack of flavour and tinny taste burst my bubble straight away.so i looked around the web to see what others were doing to rectify this and nothing came up but blocking holes and rewicking.blocking holes i could do but rewicking,i havent got to that road just yet.

i spent the last two days overdosing on nic trying to sort it out but nothing i tryed worked.just tonight after reading somewhere i boiled it clean to try to get rid of the tinny taste but it didnt work. after cleaning and with no coil or bottom screwed on i sucked through the empty tank and got the tinny taste so i figured it was the steel tube inside the tank that was producing the taste i was getting,so i set to work...

i have some shrink tubeing i use for small electrical jobs and thought id try find some way to use this inside the steel tube to see what happened.

i cut a piece the same lenght of the tube and shrunk it onto the post over the coil and then shrunk the rest of it so it would fit up into the tube.
    after doing this and putting the rig back into the protank there was no clearance for it to fit with the extra thickness of the shrink tubeing so i had to take it off,screw in the base/coil assembly and then insert the tube through the mouthpiece.

not one for blowing my own trumpet but the airy draw is now gone,the flood of flavour im getting is moreish and more so the tinny taste is gone.

hope yous followed that guys,heres some pics....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rattleshakes

Fair play glicster.Always nice to see some ingenuity.Let us know how its going after a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

252101.jpg
    252103.jpg
    252104.jpg
    252105.jpg
    252107.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

image resizer is your friend

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

Fair play glicster.Always nice to see some ingenuity.Let us know how its going after a couple of days.

just a little update for ya...

alls going well with the modification.i have tryed a couple of times to vape without it installed and i just dont get the flavour or draw i do when i have the pipe in. so +1 for the pipe.
    also when im filling up and i take it out there does be some juice up along the outside of the pipe,about half an inch sometimes a little more, but thus far it hasnt made it into my mouth.

so all in all i wont be useing the protank without my little pipe installed and im more than impressed with how its turned out.
    thats not to say that other people would like the results so if someone who has a protank and would like to give it a second opinion fire me a pm with your address and ill stick one in the post and see what you think. have to say though,first person to pm will get it:o,i aint got a lot of shrink tubeing left

pm'd! :D

• Advertisement

thats fine sticky ill post asap.hope it works for you as it did me.let us know what you think after a day or two

I sure will. I might get a second protank so I can compare them like for like and side by side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Was too liking the protank because no leaking etc but that whistleing airy draw and lack of flavour was the pits,always thought the hole in the mouth piece was way too big and a major cause of the problem.Took the first thing to hand which was a condom off a boge and cut off the end,rolled it up and stuck it in the mouthpiece looking like a molotov cocktail and took a draw.BOOM even that was a vast improvement,no more sucking up on a whistling ice cube but now a warmer flavour and no more glarey stares from the OH when shes watching tv :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Why do they design these things with such airy draws anyway? Everything else about it is pretty good for a clearo.......glasso.......pyrexo.......or whatever the heck it is but the draw is shocking.

Why do they design these things with such airy draws anyway? Everything else about it is pretty good for a clearo.......glasso.......pyrexo.......or whatever the heck it is but the draw is shocking.

To make money and keep us buying buying buying more products knowing that we will while were looking for the vaping holy grail :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

damon5 wrote: »
    To make money and keep us buying buying buying more products knowing that we will while were looking for the vaping holy grail :)

And it seems to be working out pretty well for them, bastards :-)

im only a beginner guys so all i had to compare it with was a ce4 plus starter kit which now i find i dont really enjoy after doing this protank fix. my journey into the world of vaping has just begun.

glicster wrote: »
    im only a beginner guys so all i had to compare it with was a ce4 plus starter kit which now i find i dont really enjoy after doing this protank fix. my journey into the world of vaping has just begun.

What you did can be the difference between someone really getting into vaping and someone giving up on vaping cause they didnt take the time to fiddle around to improve their setup.
    I did a similar thing with an a7oid and a cartomizer cover to stop it burning my lips. If I didnt do it I would have given up on the a7oid....now its what I use the most!

you'd think with many many people talking about the airy draw that kanger would have come up with somethin by now to rectify this,maybe supply an extra add on or something with the kit for those who like a tighter draw than what the protank as it stands offers.

and yes its made me stick with it,for now anyways.suppose that'll be untill i have to take the next step on a long and tastefull road which is the discovery of vaping and eliquids:-)

I was looking forward to progressing from the basic starter kits etc to the heavy artillery for a better vape with increased power,taste and vapour,didnt realise that mods were something manufactured that you had to modify to make it a better product YOURSELF ......

didnt realise that mods were something manufactured that you had to modify to make it a better product YOURSELF ......

now ive learnt something new today,cheers

normally when id talk about modifying something id use the word 'mod' but i thought in the vaping world it meant somthing different so didnt use it:o

Yeah, its kinda sh*tty when your paying for a product and then you have to fiddle with it to get it working properly.
    Couldnt see that happen in any other market. Thats the problem with being a nic junkie, you gotta put up with that crap.

now ive learnt something new today,cheers

normally when id talk about modifying something id use the word 'mod' but i thought in the vaping world it meant somthing different so didnt use it:o

or scooters come to mind :)

or scooters come to mind :)

Or digby banners :'(

shes in the post sticky you should have it on tuesday.hope it works out for ya

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I just tried this today and it works a treat, Cheers glicster :D

Now for the next mod,is there anything that can be done with the vivi nova because that goes to the opposite extreme and,in my view it needs a bit of airflow to get the flavours going instead of sucking the guts out of bjasus......

shes in the post sticky you should have it on tuesday.hope it works out for ya

Hey lad did you recieve the pipe?

Hey man yea I did.

I wanted to give it some time before I give my opinion. Also I wanted to try it compared with without pipe. I wanted to try rebuildling my own heads see if that made any difference what so ever. Finally I wanted to try an evod head in the protank.

I haven't had time to try an evod head yet as I haven't a spare one floating around.

My impression with the pipe you made fitted was:

1) It made the draw a big tighter
    2) It concentrated the vapour so the taste was very marginally improved
    3) The temperature of the vapour also went up a bit because of this

So those are my findings.

Would I use it with the pipe from now on? Personally I wouldn't be bothered. The stock protank setup is good enough for me. However for someone complaining the draw is too airy then yip go for it.

One thing I do get from the Protank I don't like is a slightly metalic sensation, but that's probably just the chrome mouthpeice on my lips. That metalic sensation, not sure if it's a taste, or a feeling, or a mixture of both. That sensation stayed with or without the pipe. Since that's my biggest gripe with the protank the pipe doesn't help me much. (The protank is my most hassle free clearomiser so far and if I were to buy another clearo it would probably be a protank). I use an Igo-L with the air hole drilled bigger for more vapour anyway, so I'm used to airy draws.

I would be interested in trying the evod head in the protank and seeing what that does. If that gives the same result without having to go to the effort of getting material and crafting something then it could be a better solution. Might give that a go after work. Am on a lunch break now so no time.

p.s. Glicster thanks for the opportunity to trial out the pipe. I'd be happy to post it along to anyone who wants to try the tighter draw on the protank with this pipe. Since I don't appreciate it enough to deserve it, it should go to a better home :)

sorry it didnt work for ya pal but cheers for the review.suppose its down to differant strokes for differant folks.it did for me all that it didnt do for you.its disposable so chuck it if youve no need for it.cheers

Just to clarify, to fit the tube you put it into the mouth peice with the protank already assembled?

Or you push it into the head and then screw the head in? Because I tried doing that and it wasn't able to screw it back together because it overs the whole head making it wider than the center tube.

ye push it through the mouth piece

What I really need is another protank so I can do a side by side comparison with or without.

I like the protank anyway so in hindsight I was probably a bad choice to take the tube :)

If anyone wants to try it PM me your address and I'll post it out.

otherwise I'll revisit it when I order my next protank and a spare evod head and do a bit more testing and post back with my results.

Advertisement