Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go **** yourself THQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

If they were sold at a decent price then they would not lose so much value,
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about how much the prices falls in the weeks after launch. What is often discussed is whether they should be cheaper in order to sell more. My point was that when they do come down in price they don't sell more.
    If you are happy with all these NEW additions to how games are sold, they fair wack to you, I havent met many who get ripped off and then ask for more.
    What was the last game you felt ripped off by due to the DLC offered on launch or afterward?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about how much the prices falls in the weeks after launch. What is often discussed is whether they should be cheaper in order to sell more. My point was that when they do come down in price they don't sell more.

It's not exactly an indicator whether the game will sell more or less if it was cheaper though.
    What was the last game you felt ripped off by due to the DLC offered on launch or afterward?

I only felt ripped off when I buy it and realise it's crap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Last time for me was when i pre-ordered and the price was €10 higher than some other b&m shops that were around the corner.

**** you Game.

Edit: just realized i hit 3000 posts 7 posts ago(stupid mobile site), was planing on turning that into a drinking game to start off my early weekend.

It's not exactly an indicator whether the game will sell more or less if it was cheaper though.
    Why not? People say if games were cheaper more people would buy them. Games become cheaper after a couple of weeks on sale. More people don't buy them at this reduced price, e.g. there is no spike in sales. I can't see how it wouldn't be a pretty damn good indicator?
    Hmm, I don't think I was very clear. What I meant was, when was the last time you felt ripped off at a game because of the DLC that was later offered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why not? People say if games were cheaper more people would buy them. Games become cheaper after a couple of weeks on sale. More people don't buy them at this reduced price, e.g. there is no spike in sales. I can't see how it wouldn't be a pretty damn good indicator?

Because by the time the game has been on sale for the 6 months or so before the price drops, most sales have been made and the game has been in the second hand sections for 6 months which don't count towards sales. The publisher then loses credit with the store to compensate for the new low price on unsold copies.

How about selling cheap at prices that people who are forced to buy cheap (I know myself I have to wait for sales on games because I don't have the funds) or who will buy second hand can accept. You make more early sales and cut out a bit of second hand sales and then lose less credit to the store on the unsold copies.

Look at the massive success of Deadly Premonition in the US were it launched with see-saw reviews, no advertising and the price point of $19.99 and managed to be come a big profit earner for the publisher. Yeah it's a small budget affair with no advertising but Ignition said they hit 500K sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's where pre-order bonuses come in but people complain about those too. :)
    My thing with POBs is that no effort is put in them, and rightly so. Development time is pegged on getting the title out to market, not pandering to preorder sales. A free weapon here, a custom skin there. What I'd really prefer to see is a setup where when they do launch future DLC for the game - things that are a bit more substantial than a weapon reskin - that people who preordered would get this for free or at a discount. Steam has already proven it can make this work: TF2 for instance tracks the 'join date' of every Steam ID that has played the game. People who were in Beta have Primeval Warrior badges for instance. Also, Arkham City was being sold at a pretty fine discount prior to its release for those who owned AA. Cities XL regularly makes its annual editions cheaper to those who own previous editions.

Granted you have that other situation where they've already made the DLC, snuck it on the disk, and forget to tell people about it until later.. but we'll save that for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Nice to see the thread going on strong ? .

Maybe i should make this an annual thing

So thats Go **** yourself Sega for not bringing Valkyria Chronicles 3 over to the west

And Go **** Yourself Thq for comments Towards Second hand sales

Next Ea , Activision , Capcom, Square Enix

:pac:

Also according to michael patcher its not illegal to hack a disk you paid for if it has locked on dlc

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/made-in-pach-attack/726474

Also according to michael patcher its not illegal to hack a disk you paid for if it has locked on dlc

He never said it's not illegal, just that you're unlikely to be prosecuted but with legal protection of copy protection measure being higher now his argument of likely hood of prosecution does not hold up any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

He's correct, when you buy a disc you buy everything on that disk to do with as you please. If you bought a book with a padlock locking out a chapterfor which you can pay more later to unlock... does this mean you bought the book but not the lock or the paper and ink on the two locked chapters? Nope, you bought the lot so if you want to break that lock its your property to do so.
    You'll void the warranty but on a disk thats not much of an issue.

TBH if THQ think this is a great idea it says a lot, their in the death throws of a company and arent predicted to make it out of this fiscal year alive. About the only thing that could stop their demise now is at least 2 block buster hits.... this wont happen. So if their business sense says THIS is a good idea and the same business sense has also led them to the brink of closure...well, take from that what you will.

IMO consumers are hesitant to try new games or IPs right now as money is tight, games are expensive and a luxury. Publishers are following suit and trying to stick to tried and tested formulas of sequels and shooters. They are too afraid to and cannot afford to experiment for fear the sales wont justify it so what would doing something like this result in? IMO it would result in gamers being far less likely to try new things and take a chance on a new IP or game. We would see a continuing spiral then of publishers getting more and more afraid of making these new IPs and eventually we will all play clones of COD.

THQ in particular seem very hypocritical , take homefront for example. A lot of people bought that game new as it had an interesting story concept and was a new IP yet when we played the game we found a lack luster and shockingly short experience. If this system was brought in before homefronts release I for one would have sepnt a lot of time reading and watching reviews as I would have been stuck with that game for life if I bought it so by NOT having that system in place they managed reasonable sales of a game that in all honesty didnt justify the figures.

THQ have been making poor quality short games for a while now and in fairness those are the devs that are being hurt by trade ins, think of it, you get a game with no or poor online service and a mediocre one player. You may play it for a weekend and trade it. The large games with good online services classically dont get traded as they keep giving, games like BF3 or COD.

In short I will give this advice, go ahead industry, listen to the advise of THQ but bear in mind the advice comes from those who have consistently not delivered quality products and do not know what their audience wants as illustrated by their poor sales and current financial situation.

hightower1 wrote: »
    He's correct, when you buy a disc you buy everything on that disk to do with as you please. If you bought a book with a padlock locking out a chapterfor which you can pay more later to unlock... does this mean you bought the book but not the lock or the paper and ink on the two locked chapters? Nope, you bought the lot so if you want to break that lock its your property to do so.
    You'll void the warranty but on a disk thats not much of an issue.

So i can copy from my disk to another blank disc that i own and then give that to as many people as i like.
    Article 6 of the Directive provides protection for "technological measures", any technology device or component which is designed to restrict or prevent certain acts which are not authorised by the rightholder. Member States must provide "adequate legal protection", which may be civil, criminal or a mix of the two. Technological measures are only protected if they are "effective", which means not when they actually work but when they have been successfully implemented. A simple password is thus "effective" irrespective of the ease with which it may be cracked. Rightholders who use such anti-circumvention measures must allow reproduction which is permitted under the limitations to copyright protection [Art. 6(4)]. Digital rights management information is similarly protected (Art. 7).

Your getting a licence with limitation on it's use and whose DRM is legally protected.

• Advertisement

Because by the time the game has been on sale for the 6 months or so before the price drops, most sales have been made and the game has been in the second hand sections for 6 months which don't count towards sales. The publisher then loses credit with the store to compensate for the new low price on unsold copies.
    Woah, six months? Try six weeks in most cases. The only games that generally hold their value are the big multiplayer games such as Call Of Duty series and, to a lesser extent, Battlefield.

For example, back in early November I posted this in similar thread on the matter...
    ...let's look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This game went on sale on August 26th. It is now priced at £25.75/19.38/12.99 for 360/PC/PS3. Now, here are the sales figures for Deus Ex since launch. What do you see there?
    At the time it had broke 200k units in a week in the US and then took another 10 weeks to match that. Worldwide it sold over 500k copies (on the 360) in the first two weeks and then sold another ~280K copies in the next 8 weeks. The price of the game dropped dramatically in that period yet there was no meaningful spike in sales. If you were to look at the likes of Assassins Creed: Revelations, Uncharted 3, Space Marines or other high profile titles from last year I'd happily wager you'd see the same thing occur.

Let me be clear, I'm not inherently against the idea of cheaper games, I've just seen no supporting evidence that when most games are available for cheaper so soon after launch, we see a corresponding and meaningful spike in sales.
    Overheal wrote: »
    My thing with POBs is that no effort is put in them, and rightly so. Development time is pegged on getting the title out to market, not pandering to preorder sales. A free weapon here, a custom skin there. What I'd really prefer to see is a setup where when they do launch future DLC for the game - things that are a bit more substantial than a weapon reskin - that people who preordered would get this for free or at a discount. Steam has already proven it can make this work: TF2 for instance tracks the 'join date' of every Steam ID that has played the game. People who were in Beta have Primeval Warrior badges for instance. Also, Arkham City was being sold at a pretty fine discount prior to its release for those who owned AA. Cities XL regularly makes its annual editions cheaper to those who own previous editions.
    Depends on the game I guess but I definitely agree the DLC discount idea is a good one. Some of my favourite POB bonuses/DLC have been the Cerberus Network for ME2, the Back To Karkland pack for BF3 and Catwoman for Batman: AC. Now, while the former under delivered and ended up disappointing in the end, the concept was still a good one and it's a horrible shame that they've changed it for ME3 what with the extra content now only coming in the (overpriced) CE of the game. The others added a nice chunk of content which acted as a reward for buying the game new or preordering yet still allow those who miss out to get them later. I do agree though, there is more publishers could do to make pre-orders more appealing but as I said, they're being criticised for the content they offer currently, not least on these forums, so I can see why they're struggling to come up with a workable solution on all platforms.
    He's correct, when you buy a disc you buy everything on that disk to do with as you please.
    No, you don't. At all.

As for THQ in general, I think I'll stick to being incredibly pumped for Darksiders II, the new South Park game, more Company of Heroes and although they're awhile away yet, Metro: Last Light and Devil's Third. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He's correct, when you buy a disc you buy everything on that disk to do with as you please.
    Not really, no. But I don't think people are bothered about the Spirit of people using NoCD cracks for their personal use or ripping their music collection. The irritant for the industry is when it goes beyond that, when duplicates are made for other people to use.

Varik wrote: »
    So i can copy from my disk to another blank disc that i own and then give that to as many people as i like.

No, what your describing is copyright theft as your are distributing it. In fact you are allow to copy any media you buy infinity for your own back ups however your break the intellectual rights agreement and the law when you supply these copies to others ether freely or for a price.

When you buy a disk you buy the box, the manual and any code on said disc. That code includes the code to lock any content and all content also. You cannot be sued for breaking your own rightly paid for lock. Nor does the developer own any specific lines of code on a disk you bought.

Think of it in physical terms if your having trouble with getting your head around it. Say for example you buy a dvd player which has the region lock chip installed from the manufacturer. It is not illegal to remove this chip however you do void your warranty if you have any. You are now unlocking abilities in that product that the manufacturer had locked out , there is no law against this as your bought all components of the device at purchase. Its one reason why manufacturers put warranties in place ... as an incentive for you to not modify the product as they also know that legally they have no grounds to stop one modifying the device for their own use. Its why they develop special screws and manufacturing methods also, all in order to make you accessing the internals as much as possible - again, because its public knowledge that they have no legal right to prosecute you for unlocking abilities or sections of a product you bought.

In gaming terms you are legally allowed modify a console for example however you are not allowed then use a modified console on any console dependent service.... again, another incentive to stop people from opening and unlocking a device.

The same applies for any product bought, once bought and paid for you can do what you like with it as long as you are aware the manufacturer will not fix it and you will not be allowed use this on any additional service that requires ongoing outlay by the company.

Developers will put DLC code on discs as the DLC may be too large to supply over services like PSN and XBL or it may have been more costly to release that way, the flip side for them is that there are a small number of people who will unlock the content early and for free. This number is typically small so printing it to disc is the better option.

No, what your describing is copyright theft as your are distributing it. In fact you are allow to copy any media you buy infinity for your own back ups however your break the intellectual rights agreement and the law when you supply these copies to others ether freely or for a price.

Of course it's copyright theft, but you also do not have the right to circumvent any copy protection measures designed to prevent or restrict access to copyrighted material with only a few exceptions and a back-up is not one of them in the Ireland for one.
    When you buy a disk you buy the box, the manual and any code on said disc. That code includes the code to lock any content and all content also. You cannot be sued for breaking your own rightly paid for lock.

Directive 2001/29/EC. which was applied by an amendment to Irish laws clearly says to leave the lock alone.

Nor does the developer own any specific lines of code on a disk you bought.

obviously as the Unreal engine is in nearly everything, but they do licence it and have to themselves obey those terms.
    Say for example you buy a dvd player which has the region lock chip installed from the manufacturer. It is not illegal to remove this chip however you do void your warranty if you have any. You are now unlocking abilities in that product that the manufacturer had locked out , there is no law against this as your bought all components of the device at purchase. Its one reason why manufacturers put warranties in place ... as an incentive for you to not modify the product as they also know that legally they have no grounds to stop one modifying the device for their own use. Its why they develop special screws and manufacturing methods also, all in order to make you accessing the internals as much as possible - again, because its public knowledge that they have no legal right to prosecute you for unlocking abilities or sections of a product you bought.

The only part of your post that isn't wrong but not for the reasons your stating, there is no protection for this example in many countries as similarly to jailbreaking phones in the US it's to do with anti-competition laws by limiting providers or in by artificially enforcing higher prices in one region over another say between EU member states for no reason.

Australia being a prime example of this, with Sony being prevent from taking legal action as circumventing these region locks was not illegal and the drm in this case anti-competitive.
    In gaming terms you are legally allowed modify a console

where, Spain you are but the uk you're not and again in Australia you are due to them allowing you to circumvent region locks. The UK has a few example of people getting convicted for installing mod chips.
    The same applies for any product bought, once bought and paid for you can do what you like with it as long as you are aware the manufacturer will not fix it and you will not be allowed use this on any additional service that requires ongoing outlay by the company.

There are an abundance of laws that limit what you can do with you own property, with cars being a prime example with many limitation in each country.

When you buy a disk you buy the box, the manual and any code on said disc. That code includes the code to lock any content and all content also. You cannot be sued for breaking your own rightly paid for lock. Nor does the developer own any specific lines of code on a disk you bought.
    This is so wrong it actually hurts my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

There are an abundance of laws that limit what you can do with you own property, with cars being a prime example with many limitation in each country.

I don't think that's true. You can do what you want with your own car, throw on a set of square wheels and a car horn that makes loud fart noises if you wish. However, the car may no longer be roadworthy in the eyes of the law. This nonetheless does not stop you doing what you want with your own car in the first place - or that which you might continue to do and there is nothing there that stops you modifying or changing your car any which way you want too, as it is your own property.
    Again though, it may no longer be roadworthy or deemed safe for public roads.

Nothing stopping you driving it on your own private road either as far as I know. G'luck driving with square wheels either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

oxo_ wrote: »
    This nonetheless does not stop you doing what you want with your own car in the first place - or that which you might continue to do and there is nothing there that stops you modifying or changing your car any which way you want too, as it is your own property.
    Depends on the contract you sign when you buy the car. Some cars like Bentleys and Ferraris, you can't make those kind of changes and they can take the car off you if you do.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Depends on the contract you sign when you buy the car. Some cars like Bentleys and Ferraris, you can't make those kind of changes and they can take the car off you if you do.

I doubt any contract like that would hold any legal water.

Also interesting is that from reading law papers about this subject, some believe that if it was challenged, despite the license agreement if you buy software on a disc you own it regardless of the license and therefore are free to do with it as you please. This would probably include cracking it to get the on disc DLC, although then it's probably protected by copy protection and in some places tampering with this is now an offense.

Never heard of that with car manufactures but there's a lot of this with property Encumbrance.

If you take money from the some cable company or the ESB for the use of some of your property then whoever owns the land after you is stuck with it too, in this case it's call easement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

I think there can also be a lot of confusion and fuss made around a lot of these laws, or perceived laws, in that most are civil matters but only some (or degree's of some) are deemed criminal.

Isn't this one of the main realistic objections out there against ACTA and so forth, in that big business and corporations are forcing/lobbying governments to make what were once civil matters, now criminal offences ?

For instance, If Nintendo for example were to take issue in the past with modchip discussions on Boards, it would be a civil matter they would have to take up with Boards itself and follow through in the courts.
    However, if ACTA and so forth goes through and can be massaged enough legally to cover such items, what were once civil matters can now be pursued as criminal and hence all Nintendo have to do is make a strongly worded complaint to both government and the Gardaí and the onus then lies with the criminal justice system to follow-up and press forward with criminal charges against Boards.
    So instead of an entity facing another, or a member of the public, on a civil matter - it's now a criminal offence will the full weight and force of the criminal justice system behind it. In theory, there'd be nothing really stopping the Gardaí raiding Boards' server locations and ripping them out because someone somewhere on here was allowed to discuss and possibly help others with what are in essence, criminal matters.
    Not saying they would either, in fact I'd doubt they'd even consider it - unless Boards perchance happened to really upset the government of the day, which then used other excuses as I've mentioned to put undue pressure on the Gardaí to then act against Boards and essentially shut them down.

It's what I'd do anyway if I were running a dictator type government who wanted to silence anyone who might speak out against my rule. Use an excuse as silly as modchip discussion which I've previously made a criminal offence to then shut you down and probably lock most of you away for a few months/years to silence you further.

Just a thought.

Don't vote for me !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It exists, have you ever seen a modified Ferrari? It may be that your leasing the car rather than buying it. Ferrari have a car now that even though you pay a million for it, it stays with Ferrari and you can only drive it at tracks.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It exists, have you ever seen a modified Ferrari? It may be that your leasing the car rather than buying it. Ferrari have a car now that even though you pay a million for it, it stays with Ferrari and you can only drive it at tracks.

The contract may exist but has it been tested in court? Also why the hell would you modify a Ferrari. As far as consumer law goes, you buy it, you own it, you can do what you want with it and that trumps any contract. That track day Ferrari is probably just leased which is why Ferrari can enforce those regulations.

Ferraris need to be repaired and serviced so much that you'd be stupid to modify it because if you do Ferrari will refuse to carry out these services.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The contract may exist but has it been tested in court? Also why the hell would you modify a Ferrari. As far as consumer law goes, you buy it, you own it, you can do what you want with it and that trumps any contract. That track day Ferrari is probably just leased which is why Ferrari can enforce those regulations.

Ferraris need to be repaired and serviced so much that you'd be stupid to modify it because if you do Ferrari will refuse to carry out these services.

Wouldnt Arabic oil lords be a perfect example of modified super cars? I have seen a good few modified Bentlies, ferraries, Lambos, mercs etc. they were modified and made like donkeys arse. So I guess that's just shows that if you own it, then you can do whatever the **** to a car.

* sorry, offtopic. I am a petrol head so I needed to let it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Wouldnt Arabic oil lords be a perfect example of modified super cars? I have seen a good few modified Bentlies, ferraries, Lambos, mercs etc. they were modified and made like donkeys arse. So I guess that's just shows that if you own it, then you can do whatever the **** to a car.

* sorry, offtopic. I am a petrol head so I needed to let it out :D

If you own it and are so minted and likely to buy loads more flashy expensive cars off the manufacturers and make them loads of dosh, sure. Then you can do whatever the hell you like :-)

Doubt the same can be said for software though. Especially if you're just one punter amongst hundreds of thousands (or thousands, millions, depending on the popularity of the game).

Of course it's copyright theft, but you also do not have the right to circumvent any copy protection measures designed to prevent or restrict access to copyrighted material with only a few exceptions and a back-up is not one of them in the Ireland for one.

I woud disagree with you here, when you buy a disk you are buying teh content on that disk... locked or unlocked. Not supplying the end user with a key to unlock the content is simply a countermeasure not a legal restriction. Its the software equivilent of using anti tampering screws to close a devices case. They are not legal safeguards but a deterent to stop one acessnig areas of a purchased product.

Directive 2001/29/EC. which was applied by an amendment to Irish laws clearly says to leave the lock alone.

Can you link a specific line in the text where it will say this? Ijust dont have the time to read the entire document.

obviously as the Unreal engine is in nearly everything, but they do licence it and have to themselves obey those terms.

You seem to think the unreal engine creator is based in the game itself? The unreal engine code on a game disc is not the same code used by developers to build games. That is only licenced to devs and does not go on each and ever disk, if you were to add the same program that devs use to build games to each disc the size would be huge.

where, Spain you are but the uk you're not and again in Australia you are due to them allowing you to circumvent region locks. The UK has a few example of people getting convicted for installing mod chips.

In Sonys case where geohotz was threatend with legal action you'll find that was for distro of the jailbreak and use of that device on PSN ... not modding the console itself.

I think your slightly confused here, the example you state is in refrence to cars being limited by speed limits. This is not limiting what you do TO your property but how you USE your property. As I said, modding a console or game disk is not illegal, trying to use that disc or console on a service is.

You can install a 4.5ltr engine in a astra if you like. Opel will not persue you for alternig their product, you can drive it about all you want BUT you are only beaking the law if you break the speed limit.

I woud disagree with you here, when you buy a disk you are buying teh content on that disk... locked or unlocked. Not supplying the end user with a key to unlock the content is simply a countermeasure not a legal restriction. Its the software equivilent of using anti tampering screws to close a devices case. They are not legal safeguards but a deterent to stop one acessnig areas of a purchased product.
    This is the third time you've said this on the thread. You are wrong. You do not own the content on the disc.
    You seem to think the unreal engine creator is based in the game itself? The unreal engine code on a game disc is not the same code used by developers to build games. That is only licenced to devs and does not go on each and ever disk, if you were to add the same program that devs use to build games to each disc the size would be huge.
    And this is probably why you're repeating the above assertion, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This is the third time you've said this on the thread. You are wrong. You do not own the content on the disc.

Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

154.jpg
    153.jpg
    155.jpg
    156.jpg

And this is probably why you're repeating the above assertion, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

TBH I am stating my own opinion but can you please site any legal precident where there has been a sucsessful conviction where someone has access content on the disc for "dlc"?

Also, can you exlpain as to what you do own / pay for when buynig a single player only game then? If you dont own a game you pay for i.e the content on the disc are we simply renting the game? If thats also true who does actually own the game and its assosiated content?

BTW, chill out on the tone mate. It doesnt serve your point well , honestly it just makes you seem a bit arrogant.

• Advertisement

TBH I am stating my own opinion but can you please site any legal precident where there has been a sucsessful conviction where someone has access content on the disc for "dlc"?
    I can't imagine there will be any legal precedent since it wouldn't be worth their time going after someone for doing it, nevermind the fact that it'd be incredibly hard to track in the first place. I'd imagine if they were going to put any effort into tracking people distributing the game or its content it'd be the ones pirating the full title. However that doesn't mean it's legal, on the contrary I'd imagine it would come under the heading of attempting to circumvent DRM which is illegal in many jurisdictions.
    Also, can you exlpain as to what you do own / pay for when buynig a single player only game then? If you dont own a game you pay for i.e the content on the disc are we simply renting the game? If thats also true who does actually own the game and its assosiated content?
    This was discussed earlier and like most others, I find it hard to know with any great certainty what the real legal position on usage is. I know what the companies claim you own but as was pointed out, much of detail in the typical EULA wouldn't stand up in court. Generally speaking though, I imagine you own the physical disc and a right to play the game as it is presented. As for the actual content on the disc though? Between copyrights, licenses and patents there's not a chance you own it.
    BTW, chill out on the tone mate. It doesnt serve your point well , honestly it just makes you seem a bit arrogant.
    My apologies if I came across as harsh but as I said, it was the third time you'd stated it and had done so in a rather factual manner. When I queried you earlier in the thread you also never replied and just repeated it. I was going for more concise than rude to be honest. The latter paragraph though is just blatantly wrong so I assumed it had something to do with you (perhaps) misunderstanding the ownership issue.

Advertisement