Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominos make pizza with their bare hands???

• 12-05-2010 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ROTTING CHRIST

I was in Dominos with a friend tonight, usually never eat fast food as I'm allergic to eggs and some other foods so have to be careful. Anyway you could see where they were preparing the pizza and to my horror the guy was rolling the dough, spreading the toppings etc with his bare hands!! I asked my friend and he said that's the same in all dominos?? He could have anything on his hands! Wiped his nose, etc.

Does anyone find this disgusting? And is this normal, like does it go on in apache, four star, etc also?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

they do it everywhere,i used to make it :)

You should live in a tent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yeah I've seen it happen everywhere. I see no problem, sure aren't they cooking the food to kill all the germs. You think chefs wear gloves? If they were serving it raw with bare hands then it'd be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

mayhaps they should ban pizza?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Never had a problem with it - pretty sure itd be hard to spin the dough around wih plastic gloves on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

indough wrote: »
    mayhaps they should ban pizza?
    i've really gone off the stuff so i'd probably support ya

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I was in Dominos with a friend tonight, usually never eat fast food as I'm allergic to eggs and some other foods so have to be careful. Anyway you could see where they were preparing the pizza and to my horror the guy was rolling the dough, spreading the toppings etc with his bare hands!! I asked my friend and he said that's the same in all dominos?? He could have anything on his hands! Wiped his nose, etc.

Does anyone find this disgusting? And is this normal, like does it go on in apache, four star, etc also?

You either live under a rock or in a translucent bubble - you think chefs wear gloves? Just because they're fast food workers doesn't make them any less likely to snot themselves than Gordon Ramsay.

In fact, 3 years of deli work taught me that without constant hand washing and glove changes, you may as well not bother with gloves anyway. They are there to reassure the customer, not necessarily to protect against cross contamination. Most of them are not impervious anyway. Any food that is prepared out of sight pretty much anywhere will be prepared with bare, but clean, hands.

Once his or her hands are clean - and remember they're handling food all night, not taking money etc etc. - then it is perfectly safe. And normal practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Pfft. Most of the ingredients in that pizza were either grown in sh1t or were once animals who lived in their own filth.
    What's a couple of snots or pubes in comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Most restaurants prepare food with their bare hands.

Watch Bear Grills and see how he survives eating all sorts of ****. And then think to yourself you at least get to wash your hands before you eat your dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, if you can't understand how the oven temperature kills bacteria then you'll get a shock when you find out how tap water gets to you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ROTTING CHRIST

sdonn wrote: »
    You either live under a rock or in a translucent bubble - you think chefs wear gloves? Just because they're fast food workers doesn't make them any less likely to snot themselves than Gordon Ramsay.

No I don't live under a rock, and I don't eat in restaurants either so the chef comment doesn't mean anything. I'm forced to prepare my own food so I just had never seen anything like this before and wondered was it normal, apparently it is. I just found it it a bit disgusting, I know cooking the food kills the germs but seeing some teenager practically maul the dough with his bare hands that I would then be eating was horrible.

Op, if you can't understand how the oven temperature kills bacteria then you'll get a shock when you find out how tap water gets to you...

It might kill harmful bacteria, but it doesn't get rid of anything like fingernails, snots, hair, sweat, or god knows what else is on their hands.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It might kill harmful bacteria, but it doesn't get rid of anything like fingernails, snots, hair, sweat, or god knows what else is on their hands.
    Most of which is also on your own hands, regardless of hand washing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Which is the exact same in just about every restaurant in the world.
    If your worried about this, I think it might be time to give up on humanity, turn into a hermit and shut out the outside world.

The Pizzas in Dominoes in Australia are pre-made bases. Not half as nice.

Ah come on now, there's a difference between consuming your own sweat, hair, spit, etc than a complete strangers.

Lurching wrote: »
    Which is the exact same in just about every restaurant in the world.

I just said I don't eat in restaurants, not for this reason though but now I'd be even more weary if this is standard practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I still don't see the issue. People aren't dieing on the way out the door of restaurants every day due to the odd hair in their food. Otherwise, what you dont know, cant hurt you.
    However, that doesn't condone some of the incredible hygiene breaches happening in some restaurants due to rodent and insect infestations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

I work in a fast food place and the second we get a break in customers I have to clean down all of the surfaces and clean my hands, replace the cloths, mop the floors, clean my hands again etc. My manager went ballistic at a fellow crew member the other day cause he scratched his nose while working on the tills, she was nearly calling the head office.

Obviously it's impossible to get rid of all germs but we do try. The food you get in a fast food place will probably have as many or perhaps less germs than what you cook at home unless you have ocd or something.

Irish_wolf wrote: »
    Obviously it's impossible to get rid of all germs but we do try. The food you get in a fast food place will probably have as many or perhaps less germs than what you cook at home unless you have ocd or something.

I find that unlikely, at home you can peel or wash fruit, vegetables, grain, etc yourself as most people would do and then prepare them. nothing OCD about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Ah come on now, there's a difference between consuming your own sweat, hair, spit, etc than a complete strangers.

Well if that keeps you up at night, think about a loaf of bread, a packet of crisps or a pre-packaged salad. How can you guarantee who or what has handled it? You can't. Unless you're producing the food from the cradle to the grave, you can't guarantee anything. That's life, move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

OP, do you own a Spruce Moose by any chance?

Get in the plane ! but sir...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

I find that unlikely, at home you can peel or wash fruit, vegetables, grain, etc yourself as most people would do and then prepare them. nothing OCD about that.

I was refering really to the area in which it's perpared. Your chopping boards and counter tops and cutlery are probably not cleaned down as often as they are in fast food places (well good ones anyway). Germs are everywhere. I doubt you go to the bathroom and clean your hand every 30minutes whether they are dirty or not.

And also if I was preparing fruit or grains or whatever i would wash it and peel it. The same preparation goes on in restaurants as it does in the home. We're not a bunch of slobs firing out half cooked meat and unwashed veg without a care as many people seem to think.

Therefore it is easy to assume that there is the same amount of germs or maybe less are in the food you eat out in restaurants unless you have to clean the place as often as I have to, every 25minutes or so, which would be ocd behaviour in my unprofessional opinion.

• Would the OP prefer it if the pizza cook was like this! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd be more grossed out over saliva, but then again I couldn't be arsed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

In McDonalds they teach staff that clean hands are better than gloves. Staff have to wash their hands at least every 30min. People wearing gloves in Deli's often wear them for hours, by which time they've picked up as much grime and bacteria as unwashed hands would have in that time.

I know cleanliness is important, but people freak out about it way too much. So eat the odd blackberry straight off the bramble and let kids get as dirty as they want, its what being a kid is all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Surely if they used gloves, the dough would taste like latex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

:rolleyes:

Im not really sure where to start, have you ever eatin in this thing called restuarunts ? well chefs handel food they dont wear rubber gloves....
    If you go to forighn countrys they all make pizzas bare handed you have to same with any food. wear ing the rubber gloves are< dangerous, annoying....

No I dont find it dissgusting becaus eif hes following the H&S and hicap or how ever you pronounce it guide lines trhen there little chance of anyhting happening..

Oh bye the way you should get cheacked for OCD and make sure you also get your imune system cheacked cleerly you never ate wroms as a kid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I know cooking the food kills the germs but seeing some teenager practically maul the dough with his bare hands that I would then be eating was horrible.

what would you like him to do play a small violine at it while singing love poems in the hope that the ball of doh turns into a pizza base. ?

I bet your one of these really really really neet people. concerened I am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

:rolleyes:

Im not really sure where to start, have you ever eatin in this thing called restuarunts ? well chefs handel food they dont wear rubber gloves....
    If you go to forighn countrys they all make pizzas bare handed you have to same with any food. wear ing the rubber gloves are< dangerous, annoying....

No I dont find it dissgusting becaus eif hes following the H&S and hicap or how ever you pronounce it guide lines trhen there little chance of anyhting happening..

Oh bye the way you should get cheacked for OCD and make sure you also get your imune system cheacked cleerly you never ate wroms as a kid :D
    I agree with you, but you are very drunk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement