Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

• 06-09-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Has anyone tried this programme? It's one of Joe Defrancos...

Curious to hear opinions/experience of it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Michael 09 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this programme? It's one of Joe Defrancos...

Curious to hear opinions/experience of it

Haven't done it but have read it, it looks good, its like Ws4sb and 531 rolled into one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Going to give this a go, got a nice PDF of it last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Gintonious wrote: »
    Going to give this a go, got a nice PDF of it last night.

what did that cost?

drdeadlift wrote: »
    what did that cost?

$Google.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

did it once. I loved the variance of exercises. At the time a lot the exercises were kinda new to me but all could be done in a normal gym

It got me out of bodybuilding routines and opened up my mind to weight training beyond what I was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Got the PDF my self. I can send it on if one cant find it via google

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Just had a read through it. Seems like something i'll try out in the future. Currently using the 5/3/1 program. In the second cycle and i'm feeling a bit stronger and more energetic. Think i really needed to lower the weight a bit and rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

had a good read of it there.
    really like the look of it.
    gonna finish out my current programme til i get fixed and might start this on october 1st if PT gives me the all clear

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

I've a PDF of this, looks good think I'll try it next week when the current pre season S+C phase finishes at the rugby club. Anyone interested can PM and I'll send it on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Anyone want to furnish me with the pdf? Not that I encourage that sort of thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

This would be my first time using a non bodybuilding routine (i.e. chest day, back day, etc) so I was just looking for feedback.

I reckon I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

I've done it a couple of times and you can defo notice the gains. I like the way it's not all weights too with the finishers at the end of alot of the workouts... defo worth a go.

It is hard to stick to the number of workouts you need to do each week especially if you're playing a sport at the same time. i kept a journal to keep track of my workouts and weights lifted so that might work for you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

looks fun i'll give it a shot for 12 weeks
    i'm gonna do squat and deadlift where it says squat or deadlift tho cos they're my favorite things to do standing up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

If someone is willing to send me a backup of their pdf in case their house burns down I'd be more than willing to accept the responsibility of minding it

PM me for email address
    Thanks

Tigger wrote: »
    cos they're my favorite things to do standing up

You obviously haven't tried to write your name in the snow while pi$$ing , that has to be above squats and dead lifts !

Right folks. Due to unprecedented amounts of people asking me to forward on the PDF I now recind my offer! :rolleyes: Too many people asking and i dont have the time to respond to all. Sorry!

Had a good read over it and will start tomorrow, get my diet back on track and give it a good go.

Looks nice and tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Just back from my first session of the program. I found the barbell complex very tough. I could do the squats rows and deads no problem but the clean and shoulder press I could hardly manage. Good though, looking forward to day two

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »
    Just back from my first session of the program. I found the barbell complex very tough. I could do the squats rows and deads no problem but the clean and shoulder press I could hardly manage. Good though, looking forward to day two
    Its tough alright

What did you put in the bar for the complex?

I found the whole thing very enjoyable and I'm gonna follow it for the three months. Running, conditioning stuff and pullups are all things I need work at so it suits my targets.

I started it also last night

The barbell complex is tough only thing is I could bang out 10 reps of 80kg deads and squats in a row no problem but hang cleans are so tough

Ended up starting with 50kgs only got 4 hang cleans so went to 40kgs

But that way all others are easy

Does anyone add weights on for squats and deads doing this ?

Thought it could have done with 1 more chest exercise also but like the way it will have you very close to getting a few reps out of 1rm after 12 weeks

Just read it. Synopsis: Westside for skinny bastards with some extra conditioning and some exercise changes. Looks decent.

dario28 wrote: »
    I started it also last night

The barbell complex is tough only thing is I could bang out 10 reps of 80kg deads and squats in a row no problem but hang cleans are so tough

Ended up starting with 50kgs only got 4 hang cleans so went to 40kgs

But that way all others are easy

Does anyone add weights on for squats and deads doing this ?

Thought it could have done with 1 more chest exercise also but like the way it will have you very close to getting a few reps out of 1rm after 12 weeks
    It's about moving from one to the next to the next for conditioning not about strength

I went with 40 and I can dead 160 for reps and I still found the bit where you press over your head to do the back squat surprisingly hard

I don't think there is any point stopping during the comPlex to change the weight
    I went

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I haven't read it yet.
    Is it for an appropriate program for bulking?

Have you seen WSFSB? It's essentially the same. It's a strength/hypertrophy programme with some added fat loss stuff. I'd say it'd be decent enough for someone looking to get stronger and add a bit of muscle but probably not the optimum method for someone with a decent training history.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I started this and find it great, have only done the Monday session so far but like the different exercises.

The complex is tough, I'm doing it with a friend of mine and he wouldn't be a strong as me so we just did the bar for the complex and I was tired after it. the weight wasn't ever heavy it seems like more of a cardio exercise than anything and I was out of breath! Looking forward to putting 10-20kg on to the bar and trying it though.

The warm-up exercises he suggests in the FAQ seem good too, just got to get me some resistance bands and I'm sorted.

Edit: Got it. PM if you want it.

I'd say it'd be decent enough for someone looking to get stronger and add a bit of muscle but probably not the optimum method for someone with a decent training history.

Without going too off topic what would you suggest the optimium method is, I'm looking to cut some fat , and put on a kilo or two while improving my 1rm ( as a baseline weight)....suppose they all go hand in hand really

Currently stats are
    1rm bench 127kgs
    1rm squats 150kgs
    1rm Deads 160kgs
    weight 80kgs
    height 5'9ish

My reason for starting the Badass program is the last couple of months I have been doing firstly pyramids and then last few weeks super sets of 4 x 12 with a pyramid for bench still included , 3 sessions a week and thats getting all a bit same same

Other exercise includes about 100/150kms on the bike per week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Also started this today to mix things up a bit...might even start a log.
    complex is tough..started with 35kg so looking to increase this big time.

Advertisement