Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CE Scheme Rates

• 20-08-2008 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Does anyone do or know what the CE Scheme rate of pay is? I'am nearly a year on the dole and finding it very hard to find work and someone suggested to look at CE as i would be eligable to do one. Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

It's the same as the dole but your givin a travel allowence/ meal allowence so about €220 Total
    So if you take into account 197.50 for lying in bed doing feck all and €220 for doing 19.5hr work....It's up to yourself what you want
    But I will say in their defence they do have a budget for courses to get you back to work ie first aid/ECDL etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Athina

the GALL wrote: »
    It's the same as the dole but your givin a travel allowence/ meal allowence so about €220 Total
    So if you take into account 197.50 for lying in bed doing feck all and €220 for doing 19.5hr work....It's up to yourself what you want
    But I will say in their defence they do have a budget for courses to get you back to work ie first aid/ECDL etc etc

Yes they have excellent budgets for further education in third level colleges now which they didnt have in years gone by, if you can get your hands on one of thse schemes go for it. It will bolster your self esteem, give you something to get up for in the morning, the chance to socially mix with others and most important of all valuable work experience and an education course to add to your CV. Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭shoegirl

It will give you a better chance of actually getting a job if that is what you want, as potential employers will see you as making an effort. That said, the hours are fairly short and you get to keep your other benefits, and the social see you as making an effort so you are far less likely to be cut off at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

sounds like slave labour to me, total scam. you can always find something to do if you are unemployed without working for someone else for free. thats ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭havana

Its not working for free. Its called community employment because most people work in community, voluntary or charity organisations that often wouldn't be able to operate without ce staff. Plus you get invaluable experience and training when looking for further work

also you can do part time work to increase your income

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sunnyside out

its a great chance to furthur your education cause they want you to do as many courses as possible..

i done a ce scheme up untill a few weeks ago and im on my way to becoming a fully quitified worker to work with children with disabilities in schools

and i never done a leaving cert

all thanks to the chance the CE scheme and FAS gave me to do as many courses as i could

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

My CE scheme is coming to an end. Just wondering can I get 'stamps' after its over? Or do I apply for the dole and also how long will it take to get payment.
    Living in a small town, no job prospects.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

That would depend on the duration of your placement on the scheme but I would assume you should be grand for a Jobseeker's Benefit payment straight away. CE shemes have an A stamp so should be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Your JB payment should not take too long to process. Get your P45 as soon as possible once you finish as you will need this

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

That would depend on the duration of your placement on the scheme but I would assume you should be grand for a Jobseeker's Benefit payment straight away. CE shemes have an A stamp so should be ok

Thanks for the reply R P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

the GALL wrote: »

Its 216 but you are not given any travel expenses so if you do a ce scheme a bit away from where you live you might not be much beter off

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

havana wrote: »
    Its not working for free. Its called community employment because most people work in community, voluntary or charity organisations that often wouldn't be able to operate without ce staff. Plus you get invaluable experience and training when looking for further work

also you can do part time work to increase your income

I have the option of a CE scheme but I also work part time from home in the evenings, does anyone know if you CE scheme employer is obliged to make sure that your hours dont clash with those of you part time work?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ash_18x

could anyone tell me what rights people on CE Schemes have?
    I know someone on one and the way they get treated is apalling. they are treated like crap. they tried ringing citizens information but they werent much help.
    they have to hand in a doctors cert for one days sick! thats not the issue though, its just the general treatment of them. Breaks etc.

thanks.

ash_18x wrote: »
    could anyone tell me what rights people on CE Schemes have?
    I know someone on one and the way they get treated is apalling. they are treated like crap. they tried ringing citizens information but they werent much help.
    they have to hand in a doctors cert for one days sick! thats not the issue though, its just the general treatment of them. Breaks etc.

thanks.

Even though it's little pay it's the same rights ad being on a job. Supervisers can be easygoing but they don't have to be. It's a bit harsh to be strict on breaks etc but they are within their rights

However they can't make you do anything that you weren't employed to do eg if you join a ce scheme as technician they can't make you do all the cleaning or make the tea You are on them them to learn a trad

Bob Z wrote: »
    However they can't make you do anything that you weren't employed to do eg if you join a ce scheme as technician they can't make you do all the cleaning or make the tea You are on them them to learn a trad

Not on this one, the original description of the job and the actual duties that are carried out are totally different. The boss is a batalax and the people working there on the CE Scheme are being treated like slaves.
    Some tried to complain above her to the coordinator, it fell on deaf ears. I think they should go further.

thanks for that Bob Z!

ash_18x wrote: »
    Not on this one, the original description of the job and the actual duties that are carried out are totally different.

You could complain to FAS i think they take that sort of thing serious

Bob Z wrote: »
    You could complain to FAS i think they take that sort of thing serious

i will be suggesting this, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Owenzy31

hi i've just been accepted onto one of these schemes - just wondering will i get paid the full rate even though my husband is in full time employment? the girl that interviewed me said she contacted fas but they won't let her know until Monday - when i'm due to start !

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Owenzy31 wrote: »
    hi i've just been accepted onto one of these schemes - just wondering will i get paid the full rate even though my husband is in full time employment? the girl that interviewed me said she contacted fas but they won't let her know until Monday - when i'm due to start !

My advice stay on the dole and as far away from these scheme's as possible. Mine turned out to be basically a paid skivy, cleaner general dogsbody working days nights weekends also had to work x/mas day and stephens day. Give you all of the responsibility without any of the benefits and all for €30 extra a week. By the time your done paying for transport and food you'll be worse off I tell you. They say they will send you on courses but I found that the courses were to less of a standard of qualification than I was had anyway.
    There designedto help you find employment but as long as these organisations get CE scheme labour for free why would they bother offering part or full time employment?
    Just my opinion have a really good think about it before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Owenzy31 wrote: »

When I started my C.E scheme I was in receipt of One Parent Family Allowance but I got married in the mean time and FAS wouldn't re new my contract because my husband works , I did get to finish out my time but I had to leave then. They said the schemes are for for people in receipt of benefits. I was devastated because I loved my job. It was my first time working in 10 years and gave me great confidence. I was lucky to have a great supervisor who always encouraged me and gave me lots of training.
    Money wise these schemes only benefit people on Disability Allowance or One Parent family as you get to keep this allowance as well as your wages. But if you're on the dole you lose that payment and only get the wages.

• Advertisement

Just to add my Dad finishes his CE Scheme next month , he currently does meals on wheels and any maintenance in the centre. He's been there for 7 years and while hes very grateful for the years hes been given he's worried what will happen to him now. My Mam and Dad will be down his wages every week which will be a huge loss and at 57 whats the likely hood of him finding another job.
    His boss doesnt want to let him go because he knows the job so well and has pleaded with FAS to keep him on because they'll be lost without him and shes never had a single complaint about him and all the old folks he delivers to trust him completly , he knows where they leave spare keys etc so he can let himself in with their meals and they've also contacted FAS for him to be kept as they dont like the idea of a stranger taking over but its no good. Once you're time is up , thats it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

I see more and more jobs are coming under the CE scheme heading, employers are taking advantage of the fact they can employ people for nothing and make huge profits. This is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

I am on a CE Scheme and I get 237 per week I love my job. Best one I have ever worked in staff are great and very encouraging learning skills I would never have had an oppurtunity to before. If you care about the money alone, it is probably not for you but if you want to get out and learn new skills and mix with people then it is worth while

daisling wrote: »
    I am on a CE Scheme and I get 237 per week I love my job. Best one I have ever worked in staff are great and very encouraging learning skills I would never have had an oppurtunity to before. If you care about the money alone, it is probably not for you but if you want to get out and learn new skills and mix with people then it is worth while

That wasn't my point. I was looking at the employers, they see this as a great opportunity to get workers for free and are taking advantage of the current unemployment situation, it might be alright for you, obviously you mustn't have many bills to pay but for people with a family these Work placement programs aren't an option.
    Employers taking advantage of the current economic climate are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Yellow121 wrote: »
    I see more and more jobs are coming under the CE scheme heading, employers are taking advantage of the fact they can employ people for nothing and make huge profits. This is disgusting.

I,m on a CE scheme too , I have a trade and struggle every day of the week to make ends meet....but I dont feel im being taken advantage off...if anything I find the CE scheme very fulfilling and enjoy it very much...most CE employers you find are either charities or community based organisations who would cease to exist without CE and are certainly not making huge profits...

The places me and my dad did our C.E Schemes are both community organisations providing valuable services which are free therefore they make absolutely no profit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

Yellow121 wrote: »
    That wasn't my point. I was looking at the employers, they see this as a great opportunity to get workers for free and are taking advantage of the current unemployment situation, it might be alright for you, obviously you mustn't have many bills to pay but for people with a family these Work placement programs aren't an option.
    Employers taking advantage of the current economic climate are scum.

Wow you are doing a great job of making sweeping statements and assumptions about peoples situations. I pay mortgage, gas, esb and eircom also my job is 20 miles from home so I keep a car on the road and pay childminder for the 19.5 hours I work. If you read the original post the question was what do people get paid and as I said I get 237 per week or €12 per hour.

I am very sorry, I have got confused between a WPP(work placement program) and a CE scheme.
    Yes I know the CE scheme's are for mostly mostly community organizations. It is the work placement program that are a disgrace. If you look at the FÁS job website and anywhere in the country you will see full-time jobs listed with the WPP1 or 2 beside the job title, there are loads of them. And the places that offer these are definitely not charitable organizations.

daisling wrote: »
    Wow you are doing a great job of making sweeping statements and assumptions about peoples situations. I pay mortgage, gas, esb and eircom also my job is 20 miles from home so I keep a car on the road and pay childminder for the 19.5 hours I work. If you read the original post the question was what do people get paid and as I said I get 237 per week or €12 per hour.

I am sorry about my incorrect assumptions but why do you say you get paid 237 per week or 12 per hour? If you were not doing this CE scheme you would be getting paid 186 per week(and thats if you don't get other benifits), which means you are actually paid 50 euro's per week. When you include the amount you pay for fuel and a childminder, you lose money doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Are people not getting the Work Placement Programmes mixed up with a C.E. Scheme?

It's the WWP ones that are the scams. The CE Schemes are generally well praised (at least from what I understand).

You only work 19.5 hours per week so if you're working over that... that's clearly illegal since it's not part of the agreement, or at least FÁS should be informed that you're being taken advantage of.

And it's not exactly "slave labour" or "free employment". Considering you're only working 19.5 hours a week for 216 (or there abouts) helps do two things: gives you some sort of routine and helps you get back (or starting) work and secondly, it gives you some sort of satisfaction (at least I'd imagine it would) since you are actually earning the money on JSA.
    Plus you know, it's got the added bonus of saying "oh, I think I'm qualified because I worked the same job on a CE Scheme" instead of "uh I don't know if I'm the best choice but hire me!".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement