Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall height regulations

• 22-07-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Heya everyone,

Have tried looking this up on the net but cannot find anything. Im wondering if there is a wall/fence height restriction on domestic properties?? Basically we have a decking area out our back garden which is flush with our door which means that we are able to look over into our neighbours garden quite easily, so we decided that we would put new fences up, we purchased 6 x 6 panels which seem to be quite a bit bigger than the oroginals(which we left in place, simply put the new ones over them)Also the originals gave awful trouble in high winds.
    The fences are even taller where the decking is(For added privacy from the nosyest(Sic)neighbours in the world)

Thanks!!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,743 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maddison - Have a look for the planning regulations/guidelines on your local authority's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Maddison wrote: »
    Heya everyone,

Have tried looking this up on the net but cannot find anything. Im wondering if there is a wall/fence height restriction on domestic properties?? Basically we have a decking area out our back garden which is flush with our door which means that we are able to look over into our neighbours garden quite easily, so we decided that we would put new fences up, we purchased 6 x 6 panels which seem to be quite a bit bigger than the oroginals(which we left in place, simply put the new ones over them)Also the originals gave awful trouble in high winds.
    The fences are even taller where the decking is(For added privacy from the nosyest(Sic)neighbours in the world)

Thanks!!;)

I checked this recently with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council. You need permission for any boundary wall over 4 feet in height, though I'd say this is widely ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Reyman wrote: »
    I checked this recently with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council. You need permission for any boundary wall over 4 feet in height, though I'd say this is widely ignored
    That's at the front (1.2m), I believe. At the sides and rear of a house it's 2m. If it was 1.2m, practically every suburban house in Ireland would be in breach of the building regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

and it's only a boundry wall if it's on the boundry, if it's not attached it's not a boundry wall.:D
    Do what Sharrin Curley's ol man would do and fup the neighbours:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Believe it's 4ft / 1.2m at the front and 6ft 6in / 2m at the sides and back.

Also we've found that trellis and climbers like clematis or wisteria are great to add another 18in or so on top of this, although you'll be responsible for cutting them back (dead easy).

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Fuppin neighbours, I may have raised the fences(which are now prob nearer to 7ft in places eek!!)Doesnt stop them hanging out of the bedroom windows having a good gawk. Can the council make us take them down they are 6' on our side because they are on the decking area but are prob 7' on our neighbours side. Another reason we got them is also because the nosy neighbours are lifting children over the fences to look at our dogs(rottweilers) and of course the weight of the dogs would easily outweigh the fences so they needed reinforcement anyway & not have idiots teasing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Pickles1992

Maddison wrote: »
    Fuppin neighbours, I may have raised the fences(which are now prob nearer to 7ft in places eek!!)Doesnt stop them hanging out of the bedroom windows having a good gawk. Can the council make us take them down they are 6' on our side because they are on the decking area but are prob 7' on our neighbours side. Another reason we got them is also because the nosy neighbours are lifting children over the fences to look at our dogs(rottweilers) and of course the weight of the dogs would easily outweigh the fences so they needed reinforcement anyway & not have idiots teasing them.

oh my god I think we have the same neighbours!!:eek:

Advertisement