Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC build help (~€600)

• 01-01-2012 12:24pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy new year everyone! Looking for a new video editing/gaming rig :)Was kinda hoping to get a second hand PC but i'm a bit sus now that i can't build it myself for cheaper.

1. What is your budget? Up to €600, but can be flexible if it's really good value for money/worth it...Extra 50 maybe.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Video editing, gaming (would like to be able to run new games on max settings, but at least "high" without problems), internet.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? I have winXP but I'd get a student copy of Win7.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes.
    HDD - I have 3 internal drives (1 x IDE, 2x SATA) but i'd need to replace the IDE, it's quite old. At least 500GB if not 1TB; but should the primary gaming drive be a solid state drive to get benefits?

I have an external DVD drive so i'd use that.

My friend gave me some bits and bobs for a new comp and i hope it's useful? If there's a much better thing out now for relatively cheap/good value i'll use that instead but i'd like to use at least some of it if not all --

RAM - My friend did give me two sticks of DDR2 1GB G.skill ram. I'd need at least 4GB but preferably 8GB if that's helpful (or is a dedicated graphics card better for games?)

Also a Termaltake TR2-470 power deeley. Is that good enough or do i need a new one?

Graphics Card - Sparkle GeForce 7900 PCI Express. 256MB GDDR3

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. widescreen ~20". There's probably a value/cost trade-off at a certain size and that's where i'd like to be :D

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    I need a soundcard, it has to be great quality though; HD audio; that said I just need 2.0/2.1 with my setup, but i want music to sound great. (Already have speakers)

I'd like a cool case that has some lights :) (:rolleyes:)
    something like this or this

New Keyboard and wireless mouse as well... Is there anything else i need to have a functioning desktop?

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    If it's easy and the risk of frying your stuff is low.

8. How can you pay?
    Cash, credit card, paypal preferably. Other methods possible but undesired

9. When are you purchasing?
    ASAP really!

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    Dublin

Also, are these computers on adverts any good? if i could buy one of these and order one or two things online for overall cheaper, that's definitely an option.

this
    , this, this, this, this, or this? I quite like the cut of the first two, esp the first one - it comes with monitors. I've been frankensteining my dell over the years so i don't mind making the computer manually :)

Thanks for looking guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I don't think there's anything there you couldn't build yourself for much cheaper. And many of them are pretty much outdated now anyway. I can't recommend a build, but I'm sure one of the lads will be along soon enough.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Thanks mate. My main concern is video editing - i'll be likely doing more of that than gaming. Is there a particular graphics card/mobo that'd be better suited to that, or do both well, or is it all the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

for a case haf922 from komplett 102 euro
    motherboard asusm5a99xevo, mines is amd i think you can get it for intel too
    and has overclocking also has hd aduio 8.1 built in so you wouldent need a sound card

sorry man, i'm quite new to building pcs; could u link to things to buy? Is komplett the best place to buy PC kit?

Also, should i just follow this guy's lead for suggestions?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056498349

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

If you're looking for the best prices go to http://www2.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp. The reason that they're so cheap is they have a lower rate of VAT. Komplett and Elara are fairly expensive in comparison. If you really want to go irish go to dabs.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you're looking for the best prices go to http://www2.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp. The reason that they're so cheap is they have a lower rate of VAT. Komplett and Elara are fairly expensive in comparison. If you really want to go irish go to dabs.ie.
    Dabs.ie are so Irish that they're owned by British Telecom...

But really though, i'd buy off hardwareversand.de . If you were adamant about buying from an Irish company, the only people I can think of are Elara.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Dabs.ie are so Irish that they're owned by British Telecom...

But really though, i'd buy off hardwareversand.de . If you were adamant about buying from an Irish company, the only people I can think of are Elara.ie

What I meant is the VAT going to the Irish tax man. Sorry I wasn't clear about that haha.

i heard dabs are a nightmere so id stay well away from them,like i say i found komplett helpfully, elara ahh so so. i think they are [SNIP]

Thanks guys! I recently found out from the Bargain Alerts section that there's a dell sale going on for XPS's -- here's what I came up with

Hey guys, badly need a new PC, was sorting out building my own but these deals sound great.

Base Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)
    Memory 12288MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x4096 + 2x2048] Memory
    Keyboard Logitech MK520 Wireless Combo UK (the upgrade option)
    Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce GT 530 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
    Sound Cards Sound : Integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudio
    Gedis Bundle Reference D11X8328

Total cost €687

I'll have to source a new monitor myself (the ones on the dell site are far too expensive)

Is that keyboard worth the extra cash?

Also will this video card need to be upgraded to play (eg) Skyrim on highest/ultra settings? Will i be able to play PC on high specs for the next few years?

This sound card - is it ok; like is it HD audio; the upgrade they offer is really overpriced (60bucks, costs about 35 on amazon). I'll be editing HD video and recording podcasts; do i need to upgrade the soundcard?

If i'm to upgrade, best bang for your buck is the graphics card, right? So maybe up to the 545? Would there be that much difference or meh? Like is it worth the 80 bucks.

I'll check hardwareversand.de, komplett and dabs sites for a new case, i would like a flashy one, lol.

Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I recently found out from the Bargain Alerts section that there's a dell sale going on for XPS's -- here's what I came up with

Hey guys, badly need a new PC, was sorting out building my own but these deals sound great.

Base Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)
    Memory 12288MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x4096 + 2x2048] Memory
    Keyboard Logitech MK520 Wireless Combo UK (the upgrade option)
    Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce GT 530 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
    Sound Cards Sound : Integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudio
    Gedis Bundle Reference D11X8328

Total cost €687

I'll have to source a new monitor myself (the ones on the dell site are far too expensive)

Is that keyboard worth the extra cash?
    That XPS 8300 is a decent deal. All it needs is a better graphics card and it's perfect. The keyboard isn't really worth it. Wireless keyboards generally aren't a very good idea. The standard Dell USB keyboard is perfectly good for even the most discerning of users... The only "fancy" keyboard i'd ever consider buying would be a Das Ultimate keyboard.
    Also will this video card need to be upgraded to play (eg) Skyrim on highest/ultra settings? Will i be able to play PC on high specs for the next few years?
    Definitely.

You'd need a HD6850 at minimum to be able to play the likes of Skyrim or BF3 maxed out. If you can afford it, get a GTX 560 Ti.

If you want to up the ante and get a HD6950, you'll need a sata -> PCI E adaptor because the PSU in that XPS only has one PCI E cable.
    This sound card - is it ok; like is it HD audio; the upgrade they offer is really overpriced (60bucks, costs about 35 on amazon). I'll be editing HD video and recording podcasts; do i need to upgrade the soundcard?
    Recording podcasts using what? If you've got a fancy setup with condenser mics e.t.c. I'd buy a pro audio interface. Sound cards are pretty pointless nowadays.
    If i'm to upgrade, best bang for your buck is the graphics card, right? So maybe up to the 545? Would there be that much difference or meh? Like is it worth the 80 bucks.
    GT 530 - GT 545 isn't going to make that big of a difference in getting that computer to play Skyrim on Ultra.
    I'll check hardwareversand.de, komplett and dabs sites for a new case, i would like a flashy one, lol.
    Check out the Thermaltake Commander MS X on Hardwareversand. It's less than €39 and it's a great case imo.

You're the man, partyatmygaff! Very helpful.

If slightly upgrading the graphics card wouldn't do anything noticeable for me then I'll just leave it until I can afford to spend a couple of hundred on it :o

My podcast setup is just mics plugged into the computer and using audacity/cool edit pro to reduce hiss, that's about it; i'd upgrade the mics to blue yeti(s) but that's about it! I just bought Creative T40s so i'd like something that'd sound lovely with it! Can u recommend something from Hardwareversand or do u think the one it comes with is good enough? (Integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudio)

the Thermaltake Commander MS X on Hardwareversand
    -- is this it in action?

I quite like it, it's pretty cool. I know it's childish but I like the blue lights and odd angles etc. Automatically gets 'oohs' and 'aahs' from my computer-illiterate friends, lol. Do u have any other suggestions that I can compare to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Happy new year everyone! Looking for a new video editing/gaming rig :)Was kinda hoping to get a second hand PC but i'm a bit sus now that i can't build it myself for cheaper.

1. What is your budget? Up to €600, but can be flexible if it's really good value for money/worth it...Extra 50 maybe.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Video editing, gaming (would like to be able to run new games on max settings, but at least "high" without problems), internet.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? I have winXP but I'd get a student copy of Win7.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes.
    HDD - I have 3 internal drives (1 x IDE, 2x SATA) but i'd need to replace the IDE, it's quite old. At least 500GB if not 1TB; but should the primary gaming drive be a solid state drive to get benefits?

I have an external DVD drive so i'd use that.

My friend gave me some bits and bobs for a new comp and i hope it's useful? If there's a much better thing out now for relatively cheap/good value i'll use that instead but i'd like to use at least some of it if not all --

RAM - My friend did give me two sticks of DDR2 1GB G.skill ram. I'd need at least 4GB but preferably 8GB if that's helpful (or is a dedicated graphics card better for games?)

Also a Termaltake TR2-470 power deeley. Is that good enough or do i need a new one?

Graphics Card - Sparkle GeForce 7900 PCI Express. 256MB GDDR3

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. widescreen ~20". There's probably a value/cost trade-off at a certain size and that's where i'd like to be :D

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    I need a soundcard, it has to be great quality though; HD audio; that said I just need 2.0/2.1 with my setup, but i want music to sound great. (Already have speakers)

I'd like a cool case that has some lights :) (:rolleyes:)
    something like this or this

New Keyboard and wireless mouse as well... Is there anything else i need to have a functioning desktop?

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    If it's easy and the risk of frying your stuff is low.

8. How can you pay?
    Cash, credit card, paypal preferably. Other methods possible but undesired

9. When are you purchasing?
    ASAP really!

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    Dublin

Also, are these computers on adverts any good? if i could buy one of these and order one or two things online for overall cheaper, that's definitely an option.

this
    , this, this, this, this, or this? I quite like the cut of the first two, esp the first one - it comes with monitors. I've been frankensteining my dell over the years so i don't mind making the computer manually :)

Thanks for looking guys
    Hey that psu looks okay, it could do you up to a 6870 at least. Here's what i got on hardwareversand.

Total build cost: €607.82 + €30 shipping
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €30.59
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €103.01
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €195.88
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP €147.49
    BitFenix Merc Beta €32.16
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €98.69

I'm, not sure about the HD audio, so i think you'd be better at picking it out. The case is a bit plain, but it's good for the money. You could drop the graphics card to a 6850 (I'm getting 60fps ultra in skyrim with it) so you'd have more room for a sound card, but really I'd stick with a 6870. You can pick out the keyboard and mouse yourself, just don't buy keyboards off HWVS as they're in German. Hope I'm not forgetting anything!

Thanks Eboggles, so going through your specs --

RAM - 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €30.59 (absolutely shocked at the cheap price!)
    Motherboard - ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €103.01 ( <--- this has an optical out and 5 channel audio, should do the trick!)
    Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €195.88
    Graphics Card - Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP €147.49
    Case - BitFenix Merc Beta €32.16
    Solid State HDD - Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €98.69
    use the power source & ext. DVD writer I have, get a new monitor (& keyboard somewhere else!) myself, optional get another sound card.

Is there much difference between an i5 and i7? Fairly sure i saw people on both sides. Like would it be worth the cash to upgrade, another ~80 euros? Like if you're getting ultra on Skyrim with a 6850/i5 then it's mission accomplished, it'd be more for future-proofing.

I'd like to build my own rather than the Dell specs as i'd still need to order another case and use my own PSU; but if the dell on sale is better for the cash than that's the way to go...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭Serephucus

For video editing, the i7 would be more powerful, as (AFAIK), most video editing applications are very well threaded, and have no problem using lots of cores. For gaming, not so much.

Rule of thumb:
    i5 2500K = i7 2600K - (Hyperthreading + 0.1GHz)

It's only 0.1GHz faster, which is feck-all, and can be done through overclocking anyway, and Hyperthreading, (4/4 cores/threads vs. the i7's 4/8.) which not everything uses very well. Games, hardly at all.

Cheers Serephucus, 0.1GHz doesn't seem worth the money!

Been looking at this monstrosity (€57.11 on HWVS) and it suits my need for something fancy-looking at a cheap price. Is there anything wrong with the build i have and this case? Also, should i be looking into USB 3.0s? My external hard drives are all 2.0...

:)

oh, and I assume the Eboggle's Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 is far better than Dell's NVIDIA® GeForce GT 530 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card?

thats a great price for ram i just paid 30 today for a stick a 4 gig

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thanks Eboggles, so going through your specs --

RAM - 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €30.59 (absolutely shocked at the cheap price!)
    Motherboard - ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €103.01 ( <--- this has an optical out and 5 channel audio, should do the trick!)
    Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €195.88
    Graphics Card - Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP €147.49
    Case - BitFenix Merc Beta €32.16
    Solid State HDD - Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €98.69
    use the power source & ext. DVD writer I have, get a new monitor (& keyboard somewhere else!) myself, optional get another sound card.

Is there much difference between an i5 and i7? Fairly sure i saw people on both sides. Like would it be worth the cash to upgrade, another ~80 euros? Like if you're getting ultra on Skyrim with a 6850/i5 then it's mission accomplished, it'd be more for future-proofing.

I'd like to build my own rather than the Dell specs as i'd still need to order another case and use my own PSU; but if the dell on sale is better for the cash than that's the way to go...:o

2600k would be better for video editing due to hyper threading, but we are talking about tight budget. so i better stick with amazing all around 2500k, then investing in i7 and have worse other components.
    2500k can be overclocked and will have enough bang then you need m8.

edit, sorry, did not sow 2 pages, already answered.

vote on 2500k ;)

Cheers Serephucus, 0.1GHz doesn't seem worth the money!

Been looking at this monstrosity (€57.11 on HWVS) and it suits my need for something fancy-looking at a cheap price. Is there anything wrong with the build i have and this case? Also, should i be looking into USB 3.0s? My external hard drives are all 2.0...

:)

oh, and I assume the Eboggle's Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 is far better than Dell's NVIDIA® GeForce GT 530 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card?
    So you want a case with flashing lights? Well then, you could spend some more and get something like this. Or even this for a balance between lights and cooling, or this.I haven't heard much about that Sagittarius case , but it doesn't look that bad.
    By the way, that maxed out Skyrim is on 1080p but low anti aliasing and the other thing (antispasmodic filtering?). The 6870 is only €20 extra and IMO a good buy, FAR better than the GT 530, I don't think the 530 is actually meant for gaming. A few of the cases in there have USB 3.0, so you're sorted on that, and there are a good few slots on the mobo.

EDIT: Or this case :D.

That NZXT LeXa S Midi-Tower is very pretty. It was love at first sight with that Saggitarius, reminds me of Issac Clarke's suit from Dead Space 2 :pac: Am I endangering my PC or getting a worse performance by choosing the Saggitarius over, say, the NZXT? Like if i'd need to get another PSU or some other factor I'd choose another.

Also, is there a concern about SATA slots for hard drives? I have 2 SATAs and 1 IDE HDD and i'd at least like to bring the SATAs over (have the SSD just for programs and games)

I notice that most websites are tall but widescreen monitors are, well, wide. Is it possible to unscrew/re-screw monitors to have widescreen monitors as tall? (Did i just lose your respect?) I likely wouldn't go above 22inches for a monitor - when I game I'll almost definitely just HDMI out to the TV (like 1080p resolution is fine by me!) as it's in the same room. I need a monitor that would last years. Could you recommend the best value one around that size?

specs wanted - 1080p resolution, 19-21.5", HDMI connectivity (VGA, DVI optional), great contrast ratio - preferably 5million:1 dynamic.

• Advertisement

see they cases the coolermaster it only has one led on the front and it wont light up the case as showen in that pic

cheers, what would i need to light up the back of it? :o

and after market cooler, i think ya can get led bulbs too m8

That NZXT LeXa S Midi-Tower is very pretty. It was love at first sight with that Saggitarius, reminds me of Issac Clarke's suit from Dead Space 2 :pac: Am I endangering my PC or getting a worse performance by choosing the Saggitarius over, say, the NZXT? Like if i'd need to get another PSU or some other factor I'd choose another.

Also, is there a concern about SATA slots for hard drives? I have 2 SATAs and 1 IDE HDD and i'd at least like to bring the SATAs over (have the SSD just for programs and games)

I notice that most websites are tall but widescreen monitors are, well, wide. Is it possible to unscrew/re-screw monitors to have widescreen monitors as tall? (Did i just lose your respect?) I likely wouldn't go above 22inches for a monitor - when I game I'll almost definitely just HDMI out to the TV (like 1080p resolution is fine by me!) as it's in the same room. I need a monitor that would last years. Could you recommend the best value one around that size?

specs wanted - 1080p resolution, 19-21.5", HDMI connectivity (VGA, DVI optional), great contrast ratio - preferably 5million:1 dynamic.
    This Asus one looks good, but out of stock for a while. This one is a bit more costly, but has 1080p, hdmi, and 5000000:1 contrast ratio, although you could just get a 24 inch for an extra 8 euro. I have that model and I find it to be great, though the contrast ratio is a bit low.

Cheers man. The first one is perfect (although it's out of stock) and the 2nd one meets all the requirements. I'd go the extra 8 euro but contrast is a big thing for me! Sure 21.5 is huge!

I assume you'd connect the monitor to your graphics card?

About the ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX, is there a similarly priced one with more audio options? Just wanna ask before setting it in stone

I'd get this motherboard, then combine it with something like this.

Cheers man, checking out your suggestions! Differences between
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX and
    ASRock Z68M/USB3, Sockel 1155, mATX (~€17 cheaper)

Max supported memory 32 > 16 GB
    RAM Supported 4 > 2 DIMM slots
    Storage Ports 6>2 SATA-600, 4>2 SATA-300, 1 eSATA, 1-ATA
    USB/Firewire 5>2 Superspeed, 1 Firewire, 3<4 Hi-Speed USB + headers
    Max Allocated RAM size (?)
    Both are HD Audio 8-channel
    2>1 LAN gigabit ethernet

What is max allocated RAM size? (1759 MB)
    16GB sounds like more than you'd ever need; i imagine upgrading cores and graphics cards would do more for performance than RAM at this stage?
    Why would you need 2 lan ports?

Both motherboards had "HD Audio" but the soundcard ASUS Xonar DG, PCI x1

Description
    Device Type Sound card - low profile
    Enclosure Type Plug-in card
    Interface Type PCI
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 17 cm x 6.4 cm
    Signal Processor CMI-8786
    Sound Output Mode 5.1 channel surround
    DAC Data Width 24-bit
    Sample Rate 44.1 kHz (min) - 96 kHz (max)
    Signal-To-Noise Ratio 105 dB
    System Requirements Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, Microsoft Windows Vista

Would that be much better than either motherboard? Like which values should i be looking for? Thanks :D

Well hang on, what speakers do you have? I only ask because you made mention of it, I assumed you knew what to look for in a sound card.

Nah, fairly clueless at that as well :o I just got Creative T40s (2.0); they're connected via an X-30 docking station; so i guess that's line in from PC. I just need the music i listen to sound as great as i can afford (through the T40s!); i'd likely connect the computer to my TV's surround so there'd need to be an optical out (which is HD)?

What do you reckon?

• Advertisement

Hm, nice speakers actually. I'd reckon on the onboard sound, actually. The X30 has a lot of the features that a dedicated card would have - namely Crystalizer and CMSS-3D.

Advertisement