Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

childhood cartoons that scared you/creeped you out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

It was live action but the wheelers in Return to Oz really scared me when i was a kid and i dont think i was the only one

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4524gfnmC1qb9v9no1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This programme used to freak me out:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There was another one but I can't remember the name
    I know there were goblins and trolls and they had a song
    And the boss had a pit and if a solider failed him they would be thrown to the crabs in the pit to be killed :eek:
    Upsetting

There was a cartoon also set in India with a fat cat as the Raj.
    And he'd have other characters executed

You're thinking about The Dreamstone, the head nasty was called Zordrak I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRfSQMGkGoU

Am **** at embedding. Have a nosy on YouTube, the scene you're talking about is in Ep1 I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I used to be frightened of Scooby Doo then they introduced that little **** Scrappy. Then it was just frighteningly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Does anyone else remember this programme on RTE and maybe even TG4 back in the mid 90's.
    I've no idea if it was all puppets or half puppets, half real actors.

But, the main "Bad guy" was this kind of sock-puppet otter type of thing. And he planned to kidnap the children in the house, and bring them through the Wardrobe to his land / dimension.

All I remember is that that character was really sinister, and to this day, the memory of him freaks the shoite out of me!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

The theme tune to wildfire used to freak me out...kinda like the trumpet solo in "My Lovely Horse"
    0:31 & 0:54

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'll just leave this here:

Asshole uploader put a loud scream at 0:25 but you'll get the idea of this cartoon before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

nota "childhood cartoon" but still creepy in its day

i have chucky 1- 5 and still love a good marathon of it - 5 is just awful though... awful :(
    Ya I know it's not exactly a childhood cartoon but I saw it in childhood because our older brothers weren't supposed to watch it so made us watch it as well so we couldn't tell lol :o Brothers are cruel :D
    Upload it to Image Shack and you'll get the code, not sure if that's the quickest way but it works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ludwig, I guess. He was a diamond shaped voyeur, iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Banana Splits scared me too. There was something quite menacing about them.

Also speaking of banana's, The Bananas In Pyjamas really frightened me as well. There was an underlying evil current to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Dafthead from Worzel Gummidge used to scare the bejayus outta me

Not all cartoons, but this one really freaked me out when I seen it as a child

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

You have to be of a certain age but Flaherty's garden on Bosco was some surreal stuff.
    Rte always seemed to show it out of sequence so that just added to the eeriness.

It was Beckett with stop motion animation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Ulysess was brilliant, some of the episodes were creepy enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

The Hooded Claw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

This scarred me for life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Courage the cowardly dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Ren and Stimpy, that show still disturbs me

specifically remember one episode where Stimpy picks his belly button and gets pulled into it by "belly button fluff people" who attack him.

Its like they were made by psychotic savages on acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

Mr Blobby.

What madman thought children would warm to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Not a cartoon I think but there used to be an ad for the TV license that scared me. It was about the 'TV SPONGERS' and had a sponge that was hung out on a washing line. Mam says I used to go and hide in the hedge when it came on.

Does anybody remember that ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Think this was called Under the Mountain . It was about some creepy aliens or something and it scared the crap out of me ! Looking at this clip I can see why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Courage the cowardly dog scared the shoite outta me!

withless wrote: »
    Not a cartoon I think but there used to be an ad for the TV license that scared me. It was about the 'TV SPONGERS' and had a sponge that was hung out on a washing line. Mam says I used to go and hide in the hedge when it came on.

Does anybody remember that ad?
    Bump. Somebody, anybody must remember this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

god, after looking through this thread i cant help thinking what happened to the good kids tv and cartoons, i miss rugrats and the like :(

used to get scared by worzel gummidge, probably spelt that wrong there, the banshee in darby ogill, and rl stine used to look really creepy to me tbh :o
    the author of those awesome kids books, goosebumps, he used to be on the start of the videos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

withless wrote: »
    Bump. Somebody, anybody must remember this?

"TV spongers beware,the squeeze is on!"

I remember that one alright, cheapo sponges sitting in front of the telly. It was quite a good ad as I remember, I think you would need to ask the RTE if they had it in their Archive if you wanted to see it again though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'd love to link to images for this one but I can never figure out which of the icons enables it...

A film that Hanna Barbera made in the 60s about this kid who enters a cartoon world and encounters all manner of odd characters. Scared me senseless, aged 2 or 3 :D

The Phantom Tollbooth

lastlaugh wrote: »
    "TV spongers beware,the squeeze is on!"

I remember that one alright, cheapo sponges sitting in front of the telly. It was quite a good ad as I remember, I think you would need to ask the RTE if they had it in their Archive if you wanted to see it again though.
    Christ! A chill went through me when I read the line.

Thanks lastlaugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 seanogwalsh

Anyone ever see a cartoon called 'Adventure Time'. My housemate showed it to me recently. So, so creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Bambi's mother being shot :(:(:(

My mother had to give away the video because I'd cry hysterically for hours after seeing it.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Does anyone else remember this programme on RTE and maybe even TG4 back in the mid 90's.
    I've no idea if it was all puppets or half puppets, half real actors.

But, the main "Bad guy" was this kind of sock-puppet otter type of thing. And he planned to kidnap the children in the house, and bring them through the Wardrobe to his land / dimension.

All I remember is that that character was really sinister, and to this day, the memory of him freaks the shoite out of me!

I think it was called The Rimini Riddle. Freaky stuff! Would love to watch it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I think it was called The Rimini Riddle. Freaky stuff! Would love to watch it again.

Loved it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj83EfAuAos

freaky alright:D

I also loved
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkAEH6uX7hQ&feature=related

Advertisement