Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

• 03-11-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

Seeing as we will all miss the thread & tables, and are all mad to get running again...i think we are offically real runners now and i think we should continue to post & see how everyone is getting on...wink.gif

we could continue but just not be a marathon thread, I know i would love to do a log but wouldn't have the time so weekly table like we have been doing would be great... a group log if you like

any ideas/suggestions

i will be following Hal Higdons post marathon recovery for the next 4 week, as posted by Ray http://www.halhigdon.com/postmarathon/zeroweek0.html
    and then might look at his spring training program...www.halhigdon.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Oh we are here now :) Just signed up for Waterford half. Anyone else?????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think this belongs in the training logs section, because it will be a group log for the novices-no-more. What do you think?

RayCun wrote: »
    I think this belongs in the training logs section, because it will be a group log for the novices-no-more. What do you think?

Yep sounds good to me ray...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

At least now I have a log within a log. The next step to one day having my own. Good idea Anne. Looking forward to seeing how our little club gets on in the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Nules10 wrote: »
    Oh we are here now :) Just signed up for Waterford half. Anyone else?????

Fair play to you, i have something on that weekend...but definitely will be doing something in December, hope the snow stays away...Waterford was cancelled last yr becasue of it!!!

• Advertisement

Good man Ray...you gonna continue coaching us???:D

I've no wisdom left to pass on, yis have drained me dry :pac:

I've no wisdom left to pass on, yis have drained me dry :pac:

theres plenty there bursting to get out...and you have the captive audience:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I have just signed up for the Donadea 50k in February (I hope there are still places left), so I need to fit in a small recovery period and a 50-mile-a-week schedule and probably some taper for that. One of the LSRs for that is actually a marathon distance :eek:

I have just signed up for the Donadea 50k in February (I hope there are still places left), so I need to fit in a small recovery period and a 50-mile-a-week schedule and probably some taper for that. One of the LSRs for that is actually a marathon distance :eek:

Bloody hell now that is post marathon blues. Fair play to you and best of luck.

• Advertisement

Bloody hell now that is post marathon blues. Fair play to you and best of luck.

+1, more like post marathon MADNESS

fair play to you...maybe some day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

room for another with the blues?

Going to do a 2/3 miler on sat id say. legs feeling good. happy with the recovery so far.

Clonakilty half for me in december. I couldnt face the full marathon there even though i was looking at the multiple marathon program today... i dont think it would do me any good!

I half-joined the local running club towards the tail end of my dcm training so when i am back to running ok ill slot in there for the winter (cant wait to be honest)

at this point id like to do cork and dublin next year and was thinking of using daniels as my plan but these are just thoughts at the moment.

Thanks for setting up this thread. as you say a log in a log is enough for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Thanks for setting up this thread. as you say a log in a log is enough for me at the moment.

Yes + 1 on that. Definitely feeling the blues after Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Younganne wrote: »
    +1, more like post marathon MADNESS

fair play to you...maybe some day :eek:

Feck it. I can't run fast so might as well run longer :D

Feck it. I can't run fast so might as well run longer :D

I like that attitude :D look forward to following your progress Cambo

I like that attitude :D look forward to following your progress Cambo

here here, i agree. fair play to you...will be watching with interest

Right i have my first post marathon run done and have to say it was great to get out, lovely sunshine and dry crisp weather....i did the recommended 2m easy, legs were a bit tight for the first few hundred meters but relaxed and they were fine, a few hills on my route so that gave them a good stretch

2.01m in 22.57
    avr pace 11.24
    Avg HR 155bpm

I have to keep an eye on my weight and try to lose a few lbs.
    I will be weighing myself every Friday morning to keep track
    At the moment i'm 171.2lbs, would like to get to 164, at 5ft 8 that would be a better weight for me...and i know its not all about the scales but my diet is pretty crap with too much junk so i need to get that in check. So hoping that keeping it the log might help me....

Younganne wrote: »
    here here, i agree. fair play to you...will be watching with interest

Right i have my first post marathon run done and have to say it was great to get out, lovely sunshine and dry crisp weather....i did the recommended 2m easy, legs were a bit tight for the first few hundred meters but relaxed and they were fine, a few hills on my route so that gave them a good stretch

2.01m in 22.57
    avr pace 11.24
    Avg HR 155bpm

I think as the first to post some data you must design the table!!!

Back running this evening easy 2 miles. Found the legs very stiff but enjoyed it all the same. Felt like a real runner after completing a marathon.:D

Now I may buy a garmin it would make running a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Weighted myself Wednesday afternoon and looks like i lost about 8 - 10 pounds doing the marathon. Would this be normal?
    Didn't expect to lose that much to be honest.....

Back running this evening easy 2 miles. Found the legs very stiff but enjoyed it all the same. Felt like a real runner after completing a marathon.:D

Now I may buy a garmin it would make running a lot easier.

What you don't have a garmin :eek::eek: real runners have garmins :D;)
    Was lovely running today but legs were stiff also but felt great running in d shirt but that damn medal kept hitting me in the mouth whilst I was running :cool:

• Advertisement

PDCAT wrote: »
    Weighted myself Wednesday afternoon and looks like i lost about 8 - 10 pounds doing the marathon. Would this be normal?

Never weigh myself but by jaysus I would love to lose 8-10 lbs. I used 2953 cals on Monday. Which I have since well used up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PDCAT wrote: »

Nope, that's not normal. You might lose a pound of 'fat' and possibly a good few pounds of water, but you should have put the 'water weight' all back on by wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭PDCAT

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nope, that's not normal. You might lose a pound of 'fat' and possibly a good few pounds of water, but you should have put the 'water weight' all back on by wednesday.

i could be mistaken in fairness. I hadn't weighed myself in about six weeks, but my weight would have been a fairly constant 13 stone 3/4 pounds for months now. Weighed on Wednesday and it's 12 stone 9 pounds.

I suppose it could be that i actually lost the weight prior to the marathon due to training and changing eating habits (more healthy).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭netmann

Anyone doing the Mo run in the park? 2 weeks away and is 9K instead of 10K due to the road works. Might be a good distance to aid recovery.

http://dublin.mo-running.com/

....Was lovely running today but legs were stiff also but felt great running in d shirt but that damn medal kept hitting me in the mouth whilst I was running :cool:

:pac:

raises the question when is ok and not ok to wear a race shirt? is there some runnners unwriten rule that us novices should know about?

What you don't have a garmin :eek::eek: real runners have garmins :D;)

I know I am way behind the times. Good old stopwatch for me. Always taught I would get away without it. But starting interval training now so i will have to fork out.

It's a sad day for the stopwatch its about to be replaced.:(:)

I know I am way behind the times. Good old stopwatch for me. Always taught I would get away without it. But starting interval training now so i will have to fork out.

Where do you run? If its a park also used by a club, there may be intervals marked out on the paths already. (or just join the club yourself...;) )

Ray don't know about joining a club. That's a big step.

Just run on the roads. I suppose I could mark out miles for myself.

just back from a 3 miler. beautiful day. the sun on the legs felt great. i was almost giddy for the first mile i was just happy to be out again. Legs were great no soreness aches or tightness. Happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Felt very lazy all day but headed out for my first run since Monday. Wore my marathon finshers t-shirt for a bit of extra motivation ;)

Once I was out, felt great! Just did 2 miles and took it easy enough. Feeling good now apart from a bit of tightness in my right foot.

Advertisement