Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Heard of a breakin last week at the house of one of the women I'm in a community group with. Carpenterstown (I think). Stuck a wire with a hook through the letterbox and hooked the keys off the hall table. Took electronics and jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭altor

vibe666 wrote: »
    i have an idea for a motion activated front door peep hole camera that i'd love to get made into a real product.

it would be simple enough, just screwed to the inside of the door using a standard sized peephole lens to the ouside world with a digital camera with the usual basic facial detection that you'd find on any camera these days, so that any time someone comes to your front door it takes a decent quality (decent enough for an ID) snap of their face with a time/date stamp embedded in it.

No need for you to even look at it unless something dodgy happens, at which point you whip out the memory card and put it into your PC and hand over the pics of who was at your door for the garda to investigate.

maybe even have a little ring/logo around the peephole lens outside with "smile you're on camera" in big bright letters to ward off anyone that might be considering doing something they shouldn't.

you'd just need something to supply power to it, but most people have a plug socket in their front hall, so i don't see that being an issue.

might be something for the Raspberry Pi projects thread. :)

edit: posted in the other thread, you never know, someone clever might decide to make one. :)

Here is a link to one that takes a picture when the bell is rang. Hopefully they will be looking at the camera when they do :D
    I would hope there are more advanced ones on the market.
    I would not put the "smile you're on camera" as this will only draw attention to it. Then if they do break in they can take it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭altor

horse7 wrote: »
    Anyone hear the joe duffey show today,lots of door popping/break-ins in lucan /castleknock and finglas. Upgrade your front and back door locks.

This is how easy it is to get in through a euro lock. Shocking stuff. Anti snap anti bump locks are a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

athtrasna wrote: »
    Heard of a breakin last week at the house of one of the women I'm in a community group with. Carpenterstown (I think). Stuck a wire with a hook through the letterbox and hooked the keys off the hall table. Took electronics and jewellery.

Schoolboy error, leaving the keys that close to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

OK, here's a dilemma for a lot of people, what would your choice be?
    This should be something that comes into everyone's thoughts... Anyone with a high end car I could bet there is only one reason why someone will be breaking into their house!

A - Leave your keys down stairs so if your house is broke into the gougers get what they want and leave.
    B - Keep your keys up stairs with you and take your chances with the gougers if they come into your bedroom for them? (with the gouger potentially going into your childrens room first)

The lock bumping keys are not going to be that readily available to the average burglar.

If you wanted to be really paranoid you could look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KzUb-PHIfM&feature=related these are easily made from a coke bottle...

Another thing I will say, people with front doors like these... Change that door!!
    A burglar with a nice skinny arm will easily put his/her hadn through the letterbox sometimes they might need a small stick, turn your lock and walk straight in. Just look how close the letter box is to the door handle/lock... Some very similar doors the letter box and handle are even closer!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

horse7 wrote: »
    Anyone hear the joe duffey show today,lots of door popping/break-ins in lucan /castleknock and finglas. Upgrade your front and back door locks.

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2012/pc/pod-v-24051210m07slivelineburglary-pid0-607704_audio.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 3 A Hickey

Hi All,
    I'm the Field Manager in Millward Brown Lansdowne and would like to assure you that this survey is bona fide. The survey is being commissioned by the National Transport Authority and the main purpose is to understand travel patterns to plan for future transport needs. Details relating to the survey are available on the NTA website
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/planning-policy/data-analysis/modelling/surveys-2/the-household-travel-survey/

If you have any further concerns please feel free to contact me on 1800302800 free phone or 012974618
    Ailis Hickey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

A Hickey wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm the Field Manager in Millward Brown Lansdowne and would like to assure you that this survey is bona fide. The survey is being commissioned by the National Transport Authority and the main purpose is to understand travel patterns to plan for future transport needs. Details relating to the survey are available on the NTA website
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/planning-policy/data-analysis/modelling/surveys-2/the-household-travel-survey/

If you have any further concerns please feel free to contact me on 1800302800 free phone or 012974618
    Ailis Hickey

Thanks for posting, I think the main bone of contention is the hours your agents are knocking on doors

Post 8/9pm is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 A Hickey

Thanks Alaska1.
    Our company policy is not to call after 9pm at night. I apologise for any inconvenience caused. We will remind all of our interviewers not to call after 9pm. Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to call.
    Kind Regards,
    Ailis

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Ailis, I had an issue with the nature of the questions. You can understand my reservations about anyone claiming to be from any company carrying out a survey, and asking when you leave your house over a two day period, and how long you will be gone for.

I know I don't have to fill it out if I don't want to, but you can understand where my suspicion came from though?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

One possible and legal solution.

1.jpg

I don't see what a Freddie Mercury tache and ill fitting pyjama bottoms are going to achieve. Although on second look....

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

I had that young traveller girl with a green sheet looking for sponsorship this evening. There was an older guy waiting for her 2 doors up. Roselawn area. Heard she followed older people into their homes when they turned to get money. Just beware people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Last Sunday morning (27th May) a few residents reported 2 guys ringing door bells at 3am in Riverwood Chase. It wasn't every door.

Apparently they claimed to be deaf and were looking for some money. One neighbour observed them checking car doors.
    Bizarre and very suspicious.

Unfortunately no one rang the Gardai (we don't have much confidence in their response time).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The pattern emerging here is that burglars and opportunist thieves are obviously prepared to take more risks in what they do.

For example, I have responsibility for a dormant industrial site (not in D15), which although not occupied still has materials and fittings on site that are valuable. There are good alarms and security response for it and still we've had a few incidents since February of copper thefts and boundary fence breaches. The last such incident was on Friday night so I organised a permanent security man for the site for the weekend until I could get the alarms checked over, but low and behold on Saturday night two van loads of 'Irish lads' turned up at the front gate and started questioning the security man about why he was there and that they understood there was no manned security on the place. They seemed very put out that they couldnt just stroll in and strip the place having disabled the alarms the night before!!!

My point is, if you think blaggers and robbers wont be so brazen they will, if you think theyd never do something so obvious or in broad daylight, they will, if you think theyd never risk the guards being called on them, they will.

Even if it seems an over the top precaution for your home, do whatever it takes to make it unattractive and maybe your neighbour will be the unfortunate one instead

• Registered Users Posts: 22 foots

RTT wrote: »
    I had that young traveller girl with a green sheet looking for sponsorship this evening. There was an older guy waiting for her 2 doors up. Roselawn area. Heard she followed older people into their homes when they turned to get money. Just beware people.

yes the traveller that called to myself and my neighbours, entered all our homes, luckily my 8 year old is very nosey and stood staring at her until i arrived back with wallet to sponser her, foolish me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The pattern emerging here is that burglars and opportunist thieves are obviously prepared to take more risks in what they do.

For example, I have responsibility for a dormant industrial site (not in D15), which although not occupied still has materials and fittings on site that are valuable. There are good alarms and security response for it and still we've had a few incidents since February of copper thefts and boundary fence breaches. The last such incident was on Friday night so I organised a permanent security man for the site for the weekend until I could get the alarms checked over, but low and behold on Saturday night two van loads of 'Irish lads' turned up at the front gate and started questioning the security man about why he was there and that they understood there was no manned security on the place. They seemed very put out that they couldnt just stroll in and strip the place having disabled the alarms the night before!!!

My point is, if you think blaggers and robbers wont be so brazen they will, if you think theyd never do something so obvious or in broad daylight, they will, if you think theyd never risk the guards being called on them, they will.

Even if it seems an over the top precaution for your home, do whatever it takes to make it unattractive and maybe your neighbour will be the unfortunate one instead

Couldn't agree more ... I always put alarm on at night, double check all the doors and windows locked e.t.c .. The other day I noticed the kitchen window had been tampered with and the frame damaged. It looks like someone just checked if window was locked fully and then left. The same night a neighbour a few doors away heard someone come in the back door and they ran away when they heard someone come downstairs.

Neighbour said the door was unlocked and they don't always remember to check it !!!

I had my laser card taken out of my pocket in Tesco Roselawn last night around 6.45pm. Unusually didn't bring a handbag but stuck the card lose in my pocket thinking it would be faster, just needed a few things. It was there in the bread aisle but gone by the tills. Pockets are deep so it wouldn't have fallen out. They checked cctv from the checkout queue but nothing. Bloody inconvenient on a bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Very strange to have a laser card pick-pocketed, it has no value without the PIN and only 3 attempts to get it, so unless there was someone looking over your shoulder at the ATM before you went into the store then I'd imagine it's just lost and not stolen. It could be a case of it fell out somewhere and someone stroked it for the heck of it, but even then that's a long shot. I'd call them back at some stage today to see if anyone handed it in...but you probably have it cancelled anyway.

Sorry to hear, either way, I know it's a massive pain in the hole.

It definitely couldn't have fallen out, I retraced my steps with a friend who came down to pay for my stuff and checked to see if it would have come out of the pocket, no way it would have. Maybe an opportunistic inexperienced thief.

Left my details and called the store again, no sign of the card. Given the weekend that's in it it's particularly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I was out in the back garden doing some work and bringing concrete blocks out to a skip in the front garden. So the front door was left wide open as both hands were full.

Found a traveller woman with 3 young kids at the front door on the way out. One of the kids was looking in the living room window and the other (about 4 year old) was actually in the hallway. She said she was struggling and if I could give her some money to help feed/cloth the kids.

After turning her away (I explained that I already donate money to charity weekly), she then went to the other houses on the street.

Could be genuine, but I really doubt it.

This is the Roselawn area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

It would amaze you what the kids have been trained to do - and people generally presume the best when kids are rifling through things. Had one routing through the boot of the car when I was vacuuming it in Ongar whilst the mother kept me talking and attention diverted at something else

Just had a caller to the door, a woman on a crutch, supposedly doing a charity collection except for her own son. Felt very dodgy. Waterville area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Bikes being vandalised and parts taken from them at cool mine train station.

Just had the pleasure of pushing mine home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

There are new bike lockers fitted in Castleknock Station, hopefully Coolmine will get them too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There are new bike lockers fitted in Castleknock Station, hopefully Coolmine will get them too.

Cool mine have'em as well. But don't use the bike to it often enough to spend on it. Only if I get up late.

Well... didn't anyway.

Just put it up, because they completely destroyed someone else's bike as well. So just to be aware for anyone else intending on using it.

EDIT

Just checked the website for them lockers: http://www.bikelocker.ie/rent.html

You have to rent them, so not really worth while for causual use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Cool mine have'em as well. But don't use the bike to it often enough to spend on it. Only if I get up late.

Well... didn't anyway.

Just put it up, because they completely destroyed someone else's bike as well. So just to be aware for anyone else intending on using it.

EDIT

Just checked the website for them lockers: http://www.bikelocker.ie/rent.html

You have to rent them, so not really worth while for causual use.

Not the most informative website is it?!!

And ok so they have an online presence but why can't you rent online?

Anyone know how much they cost to rent?

I think they have missed an opportunity for making revenue from casual users - unless you can physically pay at the station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The cost to rent is €75.00 a year which is just €1.45 per week. This includes vat at 23% which we have to charge you.
    We would also need a refundable deposit of €25.00 for the lock and key.

Taken from an email someone posted in the cycling forum.

The locks are just normal padlocks as well. The only thing is they've got metal pieces around them preventing them from being interfered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

3 bikes stolen from Rosehaven apartments right across the street from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 kingtrojan

I'm fully aware theres a few threads out there which cover the topic of robberies and the recent increase with them.

I'm wondering has anybody had any recent expieriences in the dublin 15 and surrounding areas ?

Self protection actions may well need to be brought into use to stop the scum :D

Advertisement