Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where in Wexford are you from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Is that chipper on the Quay still there??

Is the Silver Fox still up to scratch??

Actually have you got any recent photos of Kilmore?

Chipper is still there - quite nice.

I've only eaten in the Silver Fox twice and was bitterly disappointed both times - it has changed hands since so no idea what it's like now - I'm in no hurry to return!

There's a new restaurant just down from the chipper 'Le Poisson D'Or' which I liked very much when I went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭boscoroxx

Born and raised in 'Scorthy, moved closer to Caim/Ballindaggan last year.
    Miss it when I'm in college in Maynooth though! Thanks betalorrd for Ardcavan Coaches! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I'm a Blackwater resident during the summer months.
    I miss Ramies.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

An Bealach, Loch Garman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭robdugg

Wexford town. Love it!

• Advertisement

Nice photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Bannow Wellingtonbridge area. Born here and bred and then followed my dream to train for a job that would take me to as many countries as possible. Had a ball and now back full circle. I see changes, but most are for the best. Need to pick someone's brain on the best telephone/broadband service that covers our area as having problems with bad customer service and tech support when needed. Would ideally love to get rid of landline, but too risky perhaps given the bad signals we get down here. Love walking along Bannow's beaches on a summer's day. Many memories stored from an idyllic childhood spent here. Difficult to re-integrate into the community at times, but getting there......I think. Great people, great place of natural beauty. They say you should never go back as you will find the changes too difficult to deal with. Anyone agree there?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

I returned to the area I grew up in six years ago, having lived elsewhere abroad and in Ireland for seventeen years. Best descision I ever made. OK, the place has changed but I slotted back in without too much effort. Feels very comfortable. I think if you have kids its easier. My lads got involved with my old sports clubs and it didnt take long to renew old friendships.

The answer to your question is above. Can see that it would be easier for those with children, especially school age, as it helps you to meet locals etc. Is there anything you miss about the countries you lived in? Can you recommend a telephone/internet provider or are they all the same? I tend to get frequent interruptions, slow connection and bad customer service generally. If I have to call my provider I get at least 5mins of repeated adds and gingles at my expense and then evenutually end up speaking to someone I cannot understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

On the telephone/internet thing, I finally settled on eircom but only as there was nothing else reliable. It was a fight though, to get them to run a new line on our road. Tried all the other wireless things and they were rubbish.

I miss several things from my former homes abroad. Great public transport, decent public health service, leisure facilities, the ability to get whatever you needed 'up the road', reasonable prices in the shops. BUT.. I live 3k from the sea. I was walking on a beach with the dog at 6.30 this morning. I know ALL my neighbours and can rely on them if I need help and my kids are happy and healthy.

• Advertisement

That is great to hear and funny enough you seem to miss the same things as I do, but in particular the highly reliable and efficient health system. I shall add a few non-important, but little things that bring happy memories; the smell of freshly grond coffee beans and percolated coffee in the little bakers round every corner where the rolls were crispy fresh and tasted like no others, the cakes were super delicious and not so sweet and stodgy, the salads were to die for, the cafe as opposed to the pub culture, the amazing spa/gym/swim/sauna centres in every town and where you didn't have to be a member and pay a collosal yearly fee to join, but could just walk in and pay for an hour, a day, whatever. The trams which were so quiet and so clean. Friends who always brought flowers, even if just dropping in for a coffee, fantastic food markets a mile or more long which sold food from around the world, being within a short drive of a ski slope, being able to hop from one country to another with incredible ease without being on water or in the air!!!! Being in the rain today, but next day seated at a table in Italy eating ice-cream in the sun. Rarely if ever seeing ill treated dogs on the streets roaming. Being able to see top International bands and theatre productions without having to travel too far. So so glad I got to experience all of that and much more for so long and to have the most wonderful memories to treasure and great steadfast friends who still travel to see me. Have a nice evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

I am from Wexford Town, I love a good walk on the Quay with a weee 99 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

kujosHeist wrote: »
    castletown

I'm from Dublin, but I feel that my spiritual home is down there in Castletown/Clones because my family had a caravan there in Fogarty's field from about 1975 - 1990. We'd spend the whole summer there, spending days on the beach, cooking foil-covered potatoes in bonfires, fishing from the rocks/beach/rivers, picking mushrooms at dawn, going to the disco in the hall beside the church on a Saturday night, going to the Golden Anchor, playing pitch 'n Putt at the Anchor, robbing orchards, looking for haunted (abandoned old) houses. I remember when the coast/rocky road hadn't yet been tarred, walking to Halvey's shop for slices of ham and the freshest bread possible, being stuck in the caravan with just a radio and a deck of cards when it rained, the really good summers of '76 and '77 when the sky always seemed to be navy-blue, getting rides on tractors, thumbing lifts...

Yes, sounds as though you have a real treasure trove of good memories there. Funny how when we look back we always recall the nice times and the best summers! The summer of '76 really was a scorcher. We lived on the Kent coast then and I recall having a great time too; open air concerts, carnivals along the Hythe Canal and on visits up to London, dipping our feet into the fountain at Trafalgar Square. As a child growing up in Wexford I loved the day of the Thrashing as it was called, before combine harvesters were in use. Farmers would travel from miles to help each other out on such days and there would be masses of food and much merry making when the day was done. Carrying the most delicious spring water from our pump in the garden, leaving doors open, gettting off our bicycles to chat leisurely to all our neighbours and friends when we met on the road, going to the 'pictures' in our own village and calling for all our friends along the 3 mile cycle there! Coming home on holiday as a teenager and going to local showband dances and thinking how strangely they all danced until I too was initiated. We used to travel to the larger venues on busses and I still crack up with laughing when I recall this terribly shy young guy in his suit and tie!! yes a suit and tie asking me after a dance or two if I would care to to just take a stroll out to see if the bus was there!!!! At the time, being totally ignorant that this was a euphenism for something more suggestive, I innocently replied that I knew the bus was there, as it doesn't go anywhere until the dance is over!!! That reply alone frightened the poor guy and he shot off in search of a more worldly wise creature! Can you just imagine any guy of 19 using such phrases in 2010? It was the early 60's and in rural places I guess a certain sense of old world curtesies prevailed with no doubt religion playing a huge part there. I personally feel that to have had ones youth during the 60's 70's was to have really lived and experienced life at it's best and in a place where life was so free and easy and not as yet tainted by heavy crime, drugs etc. I guess our parents and grandparents would have seen it quite differently, having to deal with unemployment, no real social services to speak of and of course a hard life for many with little to look forward to and saying good bye to their emigrating children always on the horizon for so many. Yes, I feel I was indeed one of the very lucky ones. Anyone on here like to tell us which country they lived in impressed them the most and if they ever regretted going there. Take care and best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

potsy11 wrote: »
    What is Caim like? I am a dub and looking to relocate to somewhere peaceful. I am in my 30s. I have been offered a nice house on a few acres. Going to have my own pigs and hens soon, grow my own veg and get back to enjoying life.....Will I be happy in Caim?

I'm a Dub living in Caim, not a bad place if you can deal with the local gossipers. Fairly quiet area with an active community if disco dancing in the local hall is your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheSockMonster

Im from Ballywilliam...well a couple of miles from it..

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Im from Ballywilliam...well a couple of miles from it..

What's your name, PM me if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Im up the Blackstairs, hellooooo!!!!! big wave!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Locky

I'm from Blackwater myself.

For some unknown reason I can't figure out why I'm back at 0 points, account is 6 years old, ohh well, life goes on. Good to see you all here
    I'm a Blackwater resident during the summer months.
    I miss Ramies.

So does the Health Inspector ;)

ahh in fairness Ramies was a decent spot, but christ that Chinese was a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Im up the Blackstairs, hellooooo!!!!! big wave!!!!!
    Just below ya, foot a the white mountan direction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Just below ya, foot a the white mountan direction

you probably know me then uh oh!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

From Barntown live in Wexford Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Born and bred here slap bang in the middle of the County looking up at Bree hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Number 10 Shirt

Beautiful Bunclody ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Caim :) Anyone Else Know Where It Is? :L haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

amandaf675 wrote: »
    Caim :) Anyone Else Know Where It Is? :L haha

between enniscorthy and killanne. roughly 10 minutes from enniscorthy. i win ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Originally from Duncannon but now living in Our Ladys Island...

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

between enniscorthy and killanne. roughly 10 minutes from enniscorthy. i win ;)

High 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Corvo

Wexford Town, close to the Tech school or Hill Street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

livin' in Co. Wexford - From Co. Carlow - Working in Co. Kilkenny

Advertisement