Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA A+

• 04-01-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Will be starting this course this week and was just wondering has anyone else done it?

And what are the chances of getting kept on after work exp with a big company if I got it there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Doubtful

It should be seen as a stepping stone to more training

However if you are someone who had lots of experience and impresses the company then who knows what might happen.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Doubtful

It should be seen as a stepping stone to more training

However if you are someone who had lots of experience and impresses the company then who knows what might happen.

Good luck

All true.

A+ is a basic cert which implies you have a rough knowledge of a personal computer and how it works. Won't get you the job, but might get you past HR for a basic phone support role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Comptia is a good stepping stone. Attitude will get you jobs from work exp. Passing exams is a good way of showing knowledge interest and commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

I am currently studying for this exam as well, I found a few books on Amazon Kindle and also 2 interactive apps on the iPad which allow me to do some tests which is a +. I am wondering if anybody has any up to date questions that I can try. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭asgaard

Is it worth anything to do it online (FAS course), cuz of price which would be lower than daytime or evening course and is it hard to understand if i would like to do online? Always i prefer to do evening courses by then online.

• Advertisement

asgaard wrote: »
    Is it worth anything to do it online (FAS course), cuz of price which would be lower than daytime or evening course and is it hard to understand if i would like to do online? Always i prefer to do evening courses by then online.

I'm not sure what is is your trying to ask?

I'm not sure what is is your trying to ask?

I mean is it easy to do ComptiA A+ course online and what will i need it (any books). Is it big difference between online and daytime/evening? I always prefer daytime/evening courses, so have no experience with online courses? The exam would be the same as in evening course?

I mean is it easy to do ComptiA A+ course online and what will i need it (any books).

Its a pretty easy course on the scale of things. If online training is provided, I'm sure it contains all the relevant data.
    Is it big difference between online and daytime/evening? I always prefer daytime/evening courses, so have no experience with online courses?

Its a pretty big test as to how motivated you are to complete the course.
    The exam would be the same as in evening course?

Always.

Its a pretty easy course on the scale of things. If online training is provided, I'm sure it contains all the relevant data.
    If i get a chance to start online course from FAS will they provided any materials?

Btw.
    Is it the real one ComptiA A+ course from FAS http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=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

Thanks in advance
    One more: which course would You suggest for me? I've already have ECDL and will start java programming, soon hopefuly.

If i get a chance to start online course from FAS will they provided any materials?

If its a on-line course its unlikely you will receive a physical book, most likely it will be a pdf and training videos. But since this is Fas, so you won't know till you ask them.

20 Weeks? What a waste. Either way, if it says you get certified its the right course I suppose. Your local FAS centre should be in a better position to answer these questions.
    Thanks in advance
    One more: which course would You suggest for me? I've already have ECDL and will start java programming, soon hopefuly.

ECDL is not a IT cert, its a "I can use basic functions on a computer cert". Java programming is a whole different ballgame to IT support which is the path A+ would lead you down. I suppose the real question is what do you want to work at?

• Advertisement

Which would be better-java programming or A+ ? I'm really interested in laptop/desktop hardware and all issues.

Support then. A+, N+ etc. A good start but it gets old soon.

Support then. A+, N+ etc. A good start but it gets old soon.
    When does it gets old? Do You know what's the latest java programming version (on courses) would it be, cuz i heard that it will come v.6 on May?

When does it gets old?

When nothing is a challenge any more.
    Do You know what's the latest java programming version (on courses) would it be, cuz i heard that it will come v.6 on May?

No idea, I'm not a programmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I'm also thinking of doing the A+ and N+

Is there many entry-level roles you could get with it?

If not, what should I look at as further training?

I did it back in 2004. Certainly helped me get me the job I'm currently in but it wouldn't have been enough on its own. I was given an aptitude test by the company as well, and that was what sealed the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Karsini wrote: »
    I did it back in 2004. Certainly helped me get me the job I'm currently in but it wouldn't have been enough on its own. I was given an aptitude test by the company as well, and that was what sealed the deal.
    But in terms of qualifications / experience, was it all you had? Did you do both?

Thanks!

unreggd wrote: »
    But in terms of qualifications / experience, was it all you had? Did you do both?

Thanks!

The A+ was the only formal qualification I had at the time but I also had about 5 years experience in the field before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I found that the A+ opened a few doors for me that were closed beforehand, esp from American companies, as the comptia is a recognized American standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Hey
    So if you complete A+ so what was your next step after this course?

• Advertisement

Murphj7 wrote: »
    Hey
    So if you complete A+ so what was your next step after this course?
    Network+, Microsoft Cert., Cisco.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

Personally I might go for Linux+ or Network+ soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

None of these certs are going to actually get you a job interview, not for any good job where you have to do something non-trivial anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

None of these certs are going to actually get you a job interview, not for any good job where you have to do something non-trivial anyway.

They're a stepping stone though. I did a FAS course in Loughlinstown in 2004/05 doing Comptia A+ and N+ that got me work exp that led to a Sys Admin that eventually led to IT Manager. Once people keep their exams going and adding new certs as they go, they'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

They're a stepping stone though. I did a FAS course in Loughlinstown in 2004/05 doing Comptia A+ and N+ that got me work exp that led to a Sys Admin that eventually led to IT Manager. Once people keep their exams going and adding new certs as they go, they'll be grand.

Thanks mate good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Murphj7 wrote: »
    Thanks mate good advice.

did A+ N+, now working desktop support. A+ and N+ are good for entry level jobs and then you should build on them by getting either MCSA/CCNA/RHCSA/VCP etc. or all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Got the complete study guide comptia a+ 220-801 and 802

Just started it tonight , i'll book my own exams when nearly ready

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'm actually gonna do the Linux + I think, looks like a good guide into the Linux world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Would reading the mike meyers book set you up for the tests? As in if I bought the course on e-college and just read mike meyers book would i be able to sit the test straight after finishing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

baraca wrote: »
    Would reading the mike meyers book set you up for the tests? As in if I bought the course on e-college and just read mike meyers book would i be able to sit the test straight after finishing it?

Watch cbt nugget videos and read mike myers book, also get an old PC to fool around with, do the practise tests that come with the book before sitting exam.
    Like everything if you apply yourself you'll pass easily

Advertisement