Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coach to Limerick

• 03-12-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭

Unless my eyes were playing tricks on me today, there is now a Dublin coach bus stop at Arthurs Quay in Limerick, the same place JJ Kavanagh use. I'll try go back tommorow for a closer look at it...I wonder is it a sign for something (express?!) to come?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

Unless my eyes were playing tricks on me today, there is now a Dublin coach bus stop at Arthurs Quay in Limerick, the same place JJ Kavanagh use. I'll try go back tommorow for a closer look at it...I wonder is it a sign for something (express?!) to come?

I was just going to post that I spotted a bus stop sign at Finnegans Roundabout for Dublin Coach.
    I email them and they said they are starting a service to Dublin on Wednesday 12/12, no other details given, just siad watch the website for updates. nothing yet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Went back for a closer look today and it says for Northbound passengers to Kildare Village, Dublin Airport (change at red cow) and Dublin City. Looks like it will be an express service so...!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Stopping at Westmoreland Street no doubt, wonder how the transfer to the airport will work out for these guys, seeing as I guess it will meet up with the service from Portlaoise, meaning a wait for people on either service for the other bus to turn up perhaps?

Also funny to see that John O'Sullivan's old (Aircoach) and new (Dublin Coach) companies will now be sharing the same very overcrowded stop. The NTA should never have allowed them to stop here.

Also probably explains the problems with regards to Kelly Travels proposed very similar service, looks like they both seem to be after the same route?

http://www.kellytravel.ie/plaza-express/

I wonder will multiple licenses be granted....hardly. Common sense might dictate that the operator with more planned departures would get it- surely Dublin Coach will have more than 2.

Also people are probably far more likely to choose Dublin Coach because it goes from city centre-city centre, and as above, will probably leave at social hours too....

Timetable is up now, journey time is 2hrs 45, takes passengers at Limerick, UL, annacotty and then Kildare Village, Red cow and westmoreland street.

At that journey time I'll definately try it- no info on fares yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Excellent, nice to see some alternatives to Bus Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭cson

Timetable is up now, journey time is 2hrs 45, takes passengers at Limerick, UL, annacotty and then Kildare Village, Red cow and westmoreland street.

Annacotty and Kildare Village are pointless stops tbh.

First one won't have the load factor and the second is already served by JJ Kavanagh. Could have easily knocked 10mins off it there, as it stands it's only 30mins faster than BÉ [although that never runs to schedule on the timetable]. I'd even argue the Red Cow one is pointless too if they're going into the City anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, seems like a strange route. But perhaps a different operator had already applied for a more direct route, probably Limerick -> Dublin City -> Dublin Airport.

Seems likely as it is crazy for Dublin Coach not to operate to Dublin Airport.

Their website could do with a lot of work, no ticket prices, no ability to buy tickets, no info if the buses have free wifi and onboard toilets, but looks like it will be coming soon.

Schedule looks good with wide ranging hourly service. Could do with an earlier departure from both Limerick and Dublin to get you into both before 9 and a late departure from Limerick to get you to Dublin Airport for early morning flights.

However delighted to see another good option like this open up for people. Seems to be some new bus license activity going on, hopefully we will see more for Cork and Waterford soon.

Well Annacotty is on the way from UL to the M7, so I guess that explains that. I assume it stops on the main road as opposed to going into the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

The 'website' makes them look like an amateur company, I know they're not as they're founded by the same guy who founded Aircoach, but to have that site online completely unfinished, with parts saying 'Hello World" "<something> goes here' creates a very bad impression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭d1980

Saw the bus coming up Clare St today so must be up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

I spotted new coaches in the Quickpark last week when flying out.

Link?
    No sign of it on http://dublincoach.ie/timetables.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Armada wrote: »

Link?
    No sign of it on http://dublincoach.ie/timetables.html

It's not on the main site but what appears to be a temporary site:

http://dublincoach.ie/wordpress/routes/limerick-to-dublin-city

bk wrote: »
    Yes, seems like a strange route. But perhaps a different operator had already applied for a more direct route, probably Limerick -> Dublin City -> Dublin Airport.

Seems likely as it is crazy for Dublin Coach not to operate to Dublin Airport.

Their website could do with a lot of work, no ticket prices, no ability to buy tickets, no info if the buses have free wifi and onboard toilets, but looks like it will be coming soon.

Schedule looks good with wide ranging hourly service. Could do with an earlier departure from both Limerick and Dublin to get you into both before 9 and a late departure from Limerick to get you to Dublin Airport for early morning flights.

However delighted to see another good option like this open up for people. Seems to be some new bus license activity going on, hopefully we will see more for Cork and Waterford soon.

Bus Eireann have services at 0230 and 0530 from Limerick, the former going to the airport with limited stops and have later services in the opposite direction.

Again there may not be a sufficient demand for a non stop service any later.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭d1980

Ad in Limerick post this week. €10 tickets, wi-fi on board, leather seats for those of you into that. 15 times a days.

I'm sure it will be a good service - just wish the NTA didn't allow them to stop at Westmoreland Street because you now have far too many coaches stopping there now. it was tight before with a good few Dublin Bus Routes, Aircoach Cork and Airport services and occasional Bus Eireann, but now it's crazy.

Please don't tell me the Dublin Coach vehicles will lay over there for half an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Strange, i can't seem to see the timetable on the website, anybody post a link to it please?

Maybe they will have a facility where Dublin Airport passengers will switch coaches at the red cow stop.

Kumsheen wrote: »
    Maybe they will have a facility where Dublin Airport passengers will switch coaches at the red cow stop.

http://dublincoach.ie/wordpress/routes/limerick-to-dublin-city

I believe they will but holding buses from the other route is not the best idea really though - what happens in the case of delays? Do you make passengers late by waiting fior the other bus or does it just not wait?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

d1980 wrote: »
    Ad in Limerick post this week. €10 tickets, wi-fi on board, leather seats for those of you into that. 15 times a days.

No toilets on board, that is a pity :(

• Advertisement

No toilets on board, that is a pity :(

I don't want to harp on about this, but frankly unless you're prepared to take the risk and stump the money up to invest in a fleet of buses and then operate these services to the spec that you want (which you've stated you are not), I find it somewhat rich that you continually make these criticisms about private operators.

They are taking a huge risk in starting these services and you seem to forget that in your posts.

Sorry if I'm coming across as harsh, but constantly expecting someone else to do something that you want to a standard that you want while they take all the risk is frankly pushing your luck!

Having looked at the timetable I think they are being very optimistic. Red Cow Luas to Westmoreland street in 20 minutes at all times of the day? I cant see how they can run at the times quoted, I think they are over promising.

I wouldnt worry about no Toilet - at €10 it is fast and cheap - no toilet is a small sacrifice.

Has anyone ever tried to use the toilet on a coach travelling at full speed? Not a fun experience!!

lxflyer there is a specific reason why I keep harping on about this.

Personally I'm a big fan of using coach buses for intercity travel and I want it to be successful. I believe that the private coach operators are faced with a once in a life time opportunity here and I'd love to see them grab it and make the most of it.

Most people see intercity bus coaches as slow, uncomfortable and crap. Because in the past they were, they were one to two hours longer then the train, they were uncomfortable because of the crap roads they travelled and if you needed to use the toilets, you asked the driver to stop and you snuck around behind a bush to go!!!

Buses were seen as a cheap, crap option only used by students who couldn't afford the train.

But now we have a once in a lifetime opportunity to change this view.

- We are in the middle of a recession, so everyone is looking to save money and people who might never before consider taking a bus over a train, might be willing to give it a chance.
    - We have a motorway network which allows for journey times just as fast as the train.
    - The motorway network also allows for a much more comfortable wide.

If you can use modern comfortable coaches with on board toilets, then I'm certain you can sell this to people as a premium service just as good, but much cheaper then train and not just a crappy service for students.

You could really change peoples opinions and maybe those people will never go back to the train again.

This is what I've seen in Galway. Excellent frequent service with very modern, comfortable coaches with free wifi and onboard toilets. Having used this service, I'd never use the train to Galway again.

I'm less sure about taking a bus to Cork or Limerick for 3 hours with no toilet break and no onboard toilets. It doesn't give a very nice image to people or make them comfortable about depending on this service.

In my mind it goes from a premium service to a cheap and nasty service only suitable for students.

I'm jsut giving you my opinion. I believe my opinion reflects many commuters who might consider using such services. Of course these companies can take my opinion on board or reject it. But I think they will be poor for rejecting it.

I wouldnt worry about no Toilet - at €10 it is fast and cheap - no toilet is a small sacrifice.

Exactly it is a cheap service, not a premium service. Coach companies should be looking to build it up in peoples minds as being a premium service. Otherwise they will only ever be serving students and only being able to charge very cheap tickets.
    Has anyone ever tried to use the toilet on a coach travelling at full speed? Not a fun experience!!

I have, it is no problem, you just need to sit down, they aren't designed for the typical male standing up use.

They are Using Setra Coaches - that is about as premium as coaches come brand wise. They may not have a toilet but everything else is top class and what you would expect from a premium brand such as Daimler/Mercedes. They're better than anything Gobus has.

The coaches used to be on their Portlaoise route until recently. The Portlaoise route is now being run by 7 year old double decker coaches which have come from the UK on lease. No doubt they did this rather than acquiring new coaches because of the cost factor in a recession.

Quite frankly if someone isn't happy on one of these coaches Dublin Coach will operate, they're never going to be convinced, toilets or not.

They are Using Setra Coaches - that is about as premium as coaches come brand wise. They may not have a toilet but everything else is top class and what you would expect from a premium brand such as Daimler/Mercedes. They're better than anything Gobus has.

Very nice coach, but I'd rather use a GoBus coach with a toilet onboard, then a Setra without.

The most comfortable coach in the world is no comfort at all if you are dying to take a piss. People feel happier buying a ticket on a coach that has a toilet, knowing they will have the facility if they get caught short.

Can the Setra Coaches be retrofitted with toilets?

I honestly believe toilets are a minimum requirement for comfortable, premium, intercity travel.

Specially when there are no toilet facilities at most of the bus stops of these private operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭cson

Never felt the need for toilets on journeys < 2.5hrs. Generally I'd find if you're proactive about it you'll be grand. Good to go when you get off alright but grand for the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

cson wrote: »
    Never felt the need for toilets on journeys < 2.5hrs. Generally I'd find if you're proactive about it you'll be grand. Good to go when you get off alright but grand for the journey.

Spot-On cson.

The on-board toilet issue is a bit of a non-runner really and I would doubt if it even entered into a prospective passengers head when comparing services.

Price and Journey Time will be the defining factors as far as I can see.

I would also suggest that on board toilets,particularly in an Irish context (sub 3 hour journeys) swiftly degenerate into a very good reason NOT to try Coach Travel.

Over the years I have driven various designs of coach,from established coachbuilders such as Plaxton,Van Hool,Irizar and Sunsundegui and rarely finished a round trip without having to place the bog Out Of Service.

Often the yoke would go-tech,mid way through a journey,which tended to leave those sitting closest to the action a trifle more fragrant than they might have wished.

Then there is also the added cost now associated with having the required "charging" facilities at each end of the journey to service the on-board equipment to what are now quite stringent Health & Safety standards.

Bearing in mind the Irish Governments committment to the "Polluter Pays" principle then perhaps the question actually is whether or not intending passengers wish to pay a "Convenience" supplement in order to allow for the proper treatment of their own bodily waste products ?

A reliable,comfortable,and rapid Coach Service will IMO attract the business irrespective of the On-Board Toilet and perhaps even due to the absence of it ...;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

cson wrote: »

The problem with using such private operators from Limerick to Dublin, is that there are no toilet facilities at the start or end of the journey as they pick up on and leave you off on the street and have to hope some pub doesn't mind you using the loo.

It is noticeable that the pubs down by Tara St. where many of the Galway buses operate from all have signs on the front door saying that the toilets are strictly for customer use.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    The on-board toilet issue is a bit of a non-runner really and I would doubt if it even entered into a prospective passengers head when comparing services.

Tonight I meet two friends from Cork, who all now live in Dublin but head down to Cork frequently. They all agreed that they wouldn't use the bus unless there was a toilet on board. That makes three for three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Tonight I meet two friends from Cork, who all now live in Dublin but head down to Cork frequently. They all agreed that they wouldn't use the bus unless there was a toilet on board. That makes three for three.

Still not a mass market issue I fear,as in this case,presumably the trio will continue to use Irish Rail.....or Aer Lingus !!! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement