Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ryaner012

iKeith wrote: »

i used that link there it was very helpful thanks for the advice guy. i've got it running now. so happy i don't have to bother getting an o2 sim for it

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

a few quick questions.... im planning on buying an iphone on 02 and getting it unlocked/jailbreak for vodafone. is there disadvantages to what i plan to do? i read on here somewhere if the batt dies on the iphone ill have to re-unlocked/jailbreak it, is this true? i was going to use blackrain/blackweather is this the best to use?

thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Eh, you might be a bit late now. your new phone will probably come with 3.1.3 vesion and there is no jailbrake for it yet. When/if there will be one its anyones guess.

EDIT: there is a jailbrake on 3.1.3 but only for iPhone 2G on firmware 3.1.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Do you guys think Apple will sell factory unlocked iphones on their online store when the exclusive contract with o2 is ended? Or is it another semi exclusive deal just with a different company?

I think you can buy them from the apple store online if you're in Oz, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

Hey,

I have a 3g unlocked jailbroken. Iphone all content was eraised in the general setings.

I now need to reinstall an os and rejailbreak it but havent a clue i am worried if i connect it to Itune it will be locked and i need to stay unlocked?

Can anyone point me in the direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Brian017

There's a guide on modmyi.com showing how to jailbreak/unlock an iPhone with 3.1.3 firmware.

I have an iPhone 3G with a 04.26.08 baseband will I be able to unlock my phone successfuly with this guide?

Also, will I need an O2 sim to reactivate the iPhone? As I seem toi have misplaced the one I got with it.

Many thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Brian017 wrote: »
    There's a guide on modmyi.com showing how to jailbreak/unlock an iPhone with 3.1.3 firmware.

I have an iPhone 3G with a 04.26.08 baseband will I be able to unlock my phone successfuly with this guide?

Also, will I need an O2 sim to reactivate the iPhone? As I seem toi have misplaced the one I got with it.

Many thanks. :)

Be careful , such guides are instructions how to upgrade to 3.1.3 using custom made firmware .
    They are not guides on how to jailbreak a phone that's currently on 3.1.3 .
    There is a big difference ! .
    Do not update your firmware via iTunes to 3.1.3 or you will loose your jailbreak & unlock ( probably forever) as there is no jb or unlock available for a phone on official 3.1.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Brian017

They give a link to download the custom 3.1.3 firmware. Would that be ok to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

im sure this has been answered many times before but i am still a bit lost. i m going to the states in the summer and i plan on buying a 3gs. if i buy the 32gb 3gs from at&t how do i deal with the contract?
    basically i am asking what is the easiest way to get an american iphone to work over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I haven't read the whole thread but it may interest you to know that O2 are offering to unlock any iPhones on contract for free. They will also unlock PAYG phones after, I think, a year.

Although this probably isn't any use to most people on here, it does show that Irish networks could do the same and offer legit unlocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Was just on to o2 there they will review unlocking once other networks start selling the iPhone as it is still exclusive to o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Is there a way to unlock iphone 3g with the latest firmware? Tried using blackrain and it just keeps freezing. Need to unlock it to meteor but cant seem to find software to do it, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭karlf

I tried using blackra1n to unlock my iphone 3g S and it I got as far as trying to install cydia and entering repo666 (was following a how to video on youtube) but it wouldn't work. The phone entered recovery mode and did nothing for hours. I then restored it via iTunes and since then I cant seem to use blackra1n at all. It says its working, reboots but unlike the first time it is not listed on my apps screen. Is there anything I can do now?
    I have read that you can stop your phone from being jailbroke and unlocked if the process goes wrong. Is that why I cant unlock mine?
    Any help would be much appreaciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

So what firmware is it at now? If it's 3.13 you might be out of luck unless you tapped on the Cydia option to 'make my life easier'.

If you did that, you can downgrade following guides already mentioned in the thread.

Cheers

I dont know what firmware I have to be honest, and dont know how to check.
    I didnt get to a stage where it asked if I wanted to make life easier so I dont think I did. I wasn't able to install cydia as the phone froze while trying to install it.
    I am not great with computers,programming etc so I find it all a bit hard to understand. I'll have a read through more of the thread and see if I can find anything to help.

Its version 3.1.3 (7E18). My phone is a (86004) o4 week, is this a 09 or 10 model? is there any way of telling?
    I tried running a pwnage tool there but it is looking for a particular ipsw file but I dont have one saved to my computer. Is there a way of getting one and if I do and install it, is it unlocked/jailbroke? will this then allow me to run blackra1n again?
    Also if I have blackra1n on my laptop can I connect my laptop to my iphone using computer to computer wifi network and transfer blackra1n to my phone? Can I then run blackra1n on my iphone and will that work?
    Sorry for all the questions but I'm a vodafone payg customer and only got the iphone to unlock/jaiibreak it and use it on vodafone, no point in me having it and if I cant. Would brining it to one of those shops that unlock phones help.?

Hang onto the phone, there is a couple of new exploits that are doing the rounds for 3.13but nothing is available yet to simplify the process.

When you did the restore in iTunes it upgraded the firmware on you to the newest version which is 3.13. Unfortunately this version is not yet unlocked.

Good guides are normally found on iclarified.com

I doubt the unlock shops will be able to help you as they need the same tools available.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I was having issues with 3.1.2 so upgraded to 3.1.3 using the custom firmware created from original source (using Sn0wbreeze 3.1.3).
    The upgrade was grand but I am noticing a couple of troubling issues.
    I'm on baseband 5.11.07.

The major issue I'm having is with cydia and adding sources. I managed to add one source but none since, also keep getting refresh errors.
    The reason I need the source is that it contains the 3.1.3 phone unlock and other essential upgrades i.e. updated mobile substrate.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I was having issues with 3.1.2 so upgraded to 3.1.3 using the custom firmware created from original source (using Sn0wbreeze 3.1.3).
    The upgrade was grand but I am noticing a couple of troubling issues.
    I'm on baseband 5.11.07.

The major issue I'm having is with cydia and adding sources. I managed to add one source but none since, also keep getting refresh errors.
    The reason I need the source is that it contains the 3.1.3 phone unlock and other essential upgrades i.e. updated mobile substrate.

Any ideas?

Sn0wbreeze was posted on the Web as a 3.1.3 jailbreak solution , only for it to be taken down and revised to only suit a specific range of phones and devices :
    iPod Touch 1G, 2G and iPhone 2G, 3G, and 3G(old bootrom & non MC).

Does your phone fall under this criteria ?

If not then it sounds like a clash between 3.1.3 and 5.12 baseband .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

mixednuts wrote: »
    Sn0wbreeze was posted on the Web as a 3.1.3 jailbreak solution , only for it to be taken down and revised to only suit a specific range of phones and devices :
    iPod Touch 1G, 2G and iPhone 2G, 3G, and 3G(old bootrom & non MC).

Does your phone fall under this criteria ?

If not then it sounds like a clash between 3.1.3 and 5.12 baseband .

Cheers for the reply.

Yeah had checked that previously and dont think thats an issue.

My details are:
    iphone 3g
    Serial xx928xxxxxx (read that it means 2009 week 28 i.e. old bootrom)
    Model MB496B (non MC)
    Firmware 3.1.3
    Baseband: 05.11.07 (so older baseband as well)

Now I haven't had the phone that long so obviously unsure that each thing means what it does (info came from web) but looking at that there should have been no issue with the upgrade. May try reinstalling cydia etc but that sounds like a lot of hassle for something that is actually working on/off (more off though!)

• Advertisement

Lets say some backed up their iphone settings that were 3.1.2 and base band 05.11.07 and saved it to a disk/desktop etc could I use there computer to restore my iphone as these were the original settings on my phone.
    If my phone is in recovery/DFU mode it gives me an option to set up as a new iphone or set up as karls iphone and restore. So if I did it on a friends computer and chose to restore it as their iphone would that work?
    I am thinking no as each phone would have its own serial no etc and itunes would recognise it as a differen phone.
    I have also read that another way of unlocing/jailbreaking is to remove the hardware that contains this info. Has anyone done this or know if it would work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

i've not read through the thread, but i will do, but just need to ask this quick question

guy at work wants me to jailbreak his mates american iPhone, to work on whatever network it is over here he wants, so, is it possile to jailbreak the american ones, baring in mind they have a differet baseband to us here.

dunno what firmware version is on the phone, i'll know more once i get it tomorrow.

also, is jailbreaking it a simple and safe process, as in, i can't brick the thing can i? lol

There is no difference in the baseband between US and Irish iPhones. You can Jailbreak if its 3.1.2. If it's the newer version you'll have to wait until a method is released. Currently 3.1.3 can only be jailbroken if you followed certain steps prior to upgrading.

There's a difference between unlocking and jailbreaking. Jailbreak gives you other abilities, unlocking is dependent on the version of baseband. The newer one hasn't been unlocked yet.

You can't brick it by trying but if you upgrade you'll be stuck at that version and will have to wait until a method is released.

@Karlf, if your mate has already got a jailbroken iPhone he can use cydia to store the hashes of the firmware, then no matter what you try, upgrade/downgrade etc, you can always get back to where you were.

Don't use the restore in iTunes. Get the firmware you need from iclarified and then use SHIFT key plus restore in iTunes to install the version you want.

You can't do this to downgrade 3.1.3 unless you have the hashes stored as Apple have stopped signing the earlier firmwares so they can't be authenticated during the upgrade/downgrade process and won't work.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭dave oc

Have a quick unlock question.

I'm looking to buy an iPhone 3g on eBay. I'm looking at one at the moment and have been in contact with the seller. It's 3.1.2 and 05.11.07 baseband but he maintains it cannot be unlocked, only jailbroken? He says he has tried blacksnow already. Does this sound weird? I thought any 3g with that firmware and baseband could be unlocked?

Sounds like he's screwed with it, but the 3G version (not 3GS) uses a different unlock tool, there are guides on this on iclarified.

I've used bootneuter before on a friends 2G, it might be the same tool for the 3G.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭dave oc

It does sound a little off. Seems like he's done something to it. I couldn't just restore to 3.1.2 using a custom ipsw file and then use blacksnow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brianeen

is there a way to upgrade my jb and unlocked iphone 3g to 3.1.2 and keep the unlock? if so how do i do it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

hi there. im on iphone 3g locked to o2.

version: 3.1.3 (7E18)
    firmware: 05.12.01

ive jailbroken it. but cant downground the baseband using fuzzyband

can my phone be unlocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Package wrote: »

How did you jailbreak it out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Package wrote: »

Not yet no

Advertisement