Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stream US/UK TV programmes?

• 09-07-2008 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

First of all not sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong place, I do apologise.

There's some US and UK tv shows which are uploaded onto their networks websites which US/UK peeps can stream and watch however, once the player detects you're not in the US/UK they won't let you watch them :(

I'm dying to catch up on the Celeb Master Chef which I missed on BBC (ok, so we can't all have taste!) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cghcp

I've tried Hotspot Shield to hide my IP however that's not working, are there any other tools/sites/software out there that would enable me to stream shows from other countries?

This has been bugging me for ages! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Hey dude,

I have actually been looking into this also as of late. I have found a solution though might be a bit costly but turns out you can get ALL american tv channels, HBO, etc etc.

Basically if you buy a Slingbox SlingBox, you can send it to Slingbox hosting companies in the states and they will setup a hosted connection to the American TV network for you. You will have a dedicated 3mb connection to your slingbox and you can stream all the US channels.

By the looks of things it works out at around $1000 a year for hosting, not including the price of the slingbox, though not really a bad price when you take into consideration the amount of channels you will receive. Works out around the same as the Sky premium package!.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can use iPlayer on UTV connections when using their NI proxy, works great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Cabbal how do you do that

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just use proxy ni-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80 in your browser.

In Firefox, go to Tools, Options, then Advanced tab, click Settings, and choose Manual Proxy Settings.

I've found that the proxy fails occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Thanks byte. Tried it in firefox 2 but it didnt work. :(. I have o2 and edge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

barnicles wrote: »
    Thanks byte. Tried it in firefox 2 but it didnt work. :(. I have o2 and edge.

It'll only work with a UTV ADSL connection,

I've found the proxy fails sometimes as well, tried it lastnight and no luck but yet I tested it last week when I got my UTV connection and it worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

That ni proxy has been in the crapper for the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DecTenToo

I was talking to UTV support about it and the response was
    I do apologise for the inconvenience, however UTV had to shut down the proxy server indefinitely. Thus we no longer offer nor use proxy service.

You might want to clarify this with them but I have the feeling it won't be coming back.

DecTenToo wrote: »
    You might want to clarify this with them but I have the feeling it won't be coming back.

ah crap, lets hope its not dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

http://www.samair.ru/proxy/
    Go here and pick a UK proxy, enter it in the same place byte mentioned. The BBC video should then work (although it will likely be a lot slower than usual).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

boardsie08 wrote: »
    First of all not sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong place, I do apologise.

There's some US and UK tv shows which are uploaded onto their networks websites which US/UK peeps can stream and watch however, once the player detects you're not in the US/UK they won't let you watch them :(

I'm dying to catch up on the Celeb Master Chef which I missed on BBC (ok, so we can't all have taste!) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cghcp

I've tried Hotspot Shield to hide my IP however that's not working, are there any other tools/sites/software out there that would enable me to stream shows from other countries?

This has been bugging me for ages! :(

HotSpot Shield works perfectly for me on Hulu... see here

what exactly is the problem with HotSpot?

EDIT: Ah i see, HSS gives you a U.S. IP which wont work for BBC...

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

if you mask your IP address does that affect the content you recieve from Irish websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

HotSpot Shield works perfectly for me on Hulu... see here

what exactly is the problem with HotSpot?

EDIT: Ah i see, HSS gives you a U.S. IP which wont work for BBC...

The clips played but were stopping every few seconds. Any solution to that problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rorser wrote: »
    if you mask your IP address does that affect the content you recieve from Irish websites?

it should be pointed out that if you are using HotSpot Shield you shouldnt do anything else, as any information that you access with it enabled is viewable by HSS.....
    mickger wrote: »
    The clips played but were stopping every few seconds. Any solution to that problem?

what error were you getting when it stopped playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

it should be pointed out that if you are using HotSpot Shield you shouldnt do anything else, as any information that you access with it enabled is viewable by HSS.....

what error were you getting when it stopped playing?

Not getting any error it just stops for 2 seconds and plays for 2 seconds and continues like that. Am on 20meg UPC so speed shouldnt e an issue ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Is there anything I can use for watching US tv without having to download anything??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't drag up really old threads.

If the broadcaster allows you to view, then you'll be able to do it. If they don't want it, then means of circumventing the block are not to be discussed here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement