Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Medical Center to Start Charging

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Cadroc wrote: »
    As far as I know, I'm sure someone else will know further, but the Union has been told that there is a possibility that charges will be introduced for the past number of years and reasonably expected them not to be introduced. The Union was aware that some fees might be introduced but weren't made aware of what they may be, and some University staff ignored emails and requests from the students for a long period of time. The decision was also made by the Exec Committee of the university, the only committee where a Student Representative isn't sitting on the board.

with all due respect, while a lot of this is valid. It still doesn't excuse the fact that Daly was expressly told in November about the possibilities of charges next year. That was the time for action, he should have gauged the student bodies opinion on the matter instead of keeping it in the dark
    The reason we found out in An Focal and not before it was issued is apparently due to a request by the University to allow them to tell staff about this.. According to TST, this didn't happen.

So the SU waited on telling students that they would be denied free health care next year to suit the University?

I'm sorry now but that just takes the biscuit. Last time I checked the students union was supposed to represent students, not University staff

They should have been told to shove their notice tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    with all due respect, while a lot of this is valid. It still doesn't excuse the fact that Daly was expressly told in November about the possibilities of charges next year. That was the time for action, he should have gauged the student bodies opinion on the matter instead of keeping it in the dark

So the SU waited on telling students that they would be denied free health care next year to suit the University?

I'm sorry now but that just takes the biscuit. Last time I checked the students union was supposed to cater for the needs of students, not University staff

They should have been told to shove their notice tbh

In November there was no solid foundations for this, there was an idea... an old idea at that! Charges will be coming in, there's nothing we can do about it really. The level of charges that will be coming in though is a different matter.

All the Sabbats were present for at least some of the time except our Communications officer. So questions couldn't be put to her as to why she didn't immediately tell the student body.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My understanding was that the su only became aware of these plans in
    March but at that time no levels of charges had been set. The first they knew of that was what we all saw in An focal

ryanf1 wrote: »
    My understanding was that the su only became aware of these plans in
    March but at that time no levels of charges had been set. The first they knew of that was what we all saw in An focal

The student union run newspaper produced by a sabbat who shares a building with the SU president?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

€10 for contraceptive advice, €10 for a nurse and €45 for physio were the figures I remember being broadcasted outside the SU today.

• Advertisement

Nockz wrote: »
    €10 for contraceptive advice, €10 for a nurse and €45 for physio were the figures I remember being broadcasted outside the SU today.

10 for nurse, contraception advice and sti clinic. 25 for doctor, 40 for physio and i think 25 for Psychiatrist.

If the rest of the Sabbats knew nothing about it from the CO, how are we surprised that people are complaining of a lack of information and transparency in the Union. She really needs to come out and explain herself since she wasn't there to do so earlier, unlike every other Sabbat. Even students, who are preparing for exams in 2 weeks turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've heard that the CO knew about the charges at least a fortnight before the publication of An Focail. That's a long time to sit on a story - and it backfired on her I think - instead of "what a scoop" it was "what the hell was she thinking"..

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

I heard the education officer knew about this for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lula12

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    I heard the education officer knew about this for months.

Why on earth would the Education officer know about the Medical center when that falls under welfare..........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Popoutman wrote: »
    I've heard that the CO knew about the charges at least a fortnight before the publication of An Focail. That's a long time to sit on a story - and it backfired on her I think - instead of "what a scoop" it was "what the hell was she thinking"..
    It did not look good that Kelly was not present at yesterdays meeting but thats a diffrent story.
    Like I said before, sabbats knew for a while there was a possibility of charges being introduced but not how much the charges would be.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

there was 8 people at the medical forum

what a joke and a complete waste of time

http://www.thomondstudenttimes.com/index.php/opinion/187-toolate

My own piece on the situation as I see it

Meant to put it up earlier

Were you one of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Thursday afternoon isn't an accessible time for a lot of people unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Cydoniac wrote: »

I agree and appreciate the effort.

Has anyone actually given a reason as to why information was kept from the students (and apparently sabbats)?

What about the alternative method of funding outlined in TST?

This is arguable.

The very last Thursday of term (not counting Reading Week or exams)? Much more laughable.

To be fair to Paddy, he did issue a poll to find out the most appropriate time! It being just before reading week can't be helped in this instance. The university has been threatening fees on medical centre visits for 3 years, they sprung this on them suddenly and it seems that Kelly didn't pass on the information.

As for there only being 8 people, I'm pretty sure there was a few more than 8. What was done at the meeting was pretty damn impressive to be honest, and if people like those complaining here had actually cared enough to turn up maybe it would have been even better.

It's actually annoying me to read comments here moaning about the current sabbats, moaning about the AGM quorum, moaning about not enough people turning up to the forum, but a lot of them are the ones that didn't turn up! If you really cared about what was happening, you'd turn up. A group of us did care enough.

As for Anti Soc, where were their 150+ members. Just goes to show how these guys are just blowing smoke and just trying to intimidate other students by gathering information on them.

As for Anti Soc, where were their 150+ members. Just goes to show how these guys are just blowing smoke and just trying to intimidate other students by gathering information on them.

we boycotted the meeting, when we have 200 people and can go in and block vote and change the outcome of polls we will go.

how dare you imply we are intimidating students, only a coward with something to hide would be intimidated by the truth

we boycotted the meeting, when we have 200 people and can go in and block vote and change the outcome of polls we will go.

how dare you imply we are intimidating students, only a coward with something to hide would be intimidated by the truth

Oh go away. Yer gathering of personal information, along with the 'we'll find out who you are' attitude if a person disagrees with you online is intimidation of the purest form.

Boycotted it my arse. There is no voting in the forums, it is a discussion platform. If ye actually really cared ye would have turned up. The Students Union is actually looking out for the interests of the students of this university by fighting these charges. By boycotting this forum Anti Soc and it's army of alt facebook accounts has show to us that they are more concerned about themselves rather than the well being of the students in this university.

Anti Soc is more of a clique than the SU could ever be. Anti soc are cowards and a disgrace in comparison to those students who actually want to improve this university.

Oh go away. Yer gathering of personal information, along with the 'we'll find out who you are' attitude if a person disagrees with you online is intimidation of the purest form.

Boycotted it my arse. There is no voting in the forums, it is a discussion platform. If ye actually really cared ye would have turned up. The Students Union is actually looking out for the interests of the students of this university by fighting these charges. By boycotting this forum Anti Soc and it's army of alt facebook accounts has show to us that they are more concerned about themselves rather than the well being of the students in this university.

Anti Soc is more of a clique than the SU could ever be. Anti soc are cowards and a disgrace in comparison to those students who actually want to improve this university.

go on out of that, you're probably just derek daly in disguise. the su is having a knee-jerk reaction to its massive unpopularity, its failures prophesied and revealed by antisoc.

we have no intentions of going to a kangaroo court forum meeting where different airheads get to sound off on their opinions, none of which will ever effect decision making.

you're just sore with antisoc so you are looking to discredit them at every turn, just a no good two bit troll.

• Advertisement

go on out of that, you're probably just derek daly in disguise. the su is having a knee-jerk reaction to its massive unpopularity, its failures prophesied and revealed by antisoc.

we have no intentions of going to a kangaroo court forum meeting where different airheads get to sound off on their opinions, none of which will ever effect decision making.

you're just sore with antisoc so you are looking to discredit them at every turn, just a no good two bit troll.

So you think it is a kangaroo court when students get to put their concerns to the people who are bringing in the fees?

Your constant claiming to have caused this mass revolution is hilarious by the way. Anti soc have done nothing. Absolutely nothing. Except threaten to find peoples identities, and ye have even failed at that if you think i'm just 'Derek Daly in disguise'.

I'm sore with anti soc because ye claim to be trying to change things for the better of students, but when matters arise ye cower in the corner and do sweet F.A about it except complain. Here's a suggestion for Anti-soc: If ye want something done, do it. Stop claiming to have achieved something ye haven't.

I'm sore because I actually care about this university so I bother to turn up to these things, and i'm tired of listening to people who don't show up to these things complain.

Seems to me like 9 people would have been able to change the outcome of that meeting.

Why did you boycott the meeting? Was it because of the potential to change things for the better for students?

Roro, if it isn't your anti-socs intention to intimidate people you they are giving the wrong impression.

Name-calling, threats and stalking people is quite intimidating.

I've talked to some students and they feel intimidated by anti-soc. Anti-soc are intimidating students

The SU has arranged a meeting for the medical center charges, what has anti-soc done? Created new boards accounts?

I think anti-soc is full of cowards with inflated egos about how they can change the world, one boards accont at a time.

So you think it is a kangaroo court when students get to put their concerns to the people who are bringing in the fees?

Your constant claiming to have caused this mass revolution is hilarious by the way. Anti soc have done nothing. Absolutely nothing. Except threaten to find peoples identities, and ye have even failed at that if you think i'm just 'Derek Daly in disguise'.

I'm sore with anti soc because ye claim to be trying to change things for the better of students, but when matters arise ye cower in the corner and do sweet F.A about it except complain. Here's a suggestion for Anti-soc: If ye want something done, do it. Stop claiming to have achieved something ye haven't.

I'm sore because I actually care about this university so I bother to turn up to these things, and i'm tired of listening to people who don't show up to these things complain.

Calm down man. Don't get sucked into it, it will be added to a dossier for members of anti-soc to fap to.

I was unable to attend the meeting but would if it was to be rearranged. I signed the petition which was the best I could do. Some people do complain for the sake of complaining but you will get that everywhere. It was arranged really late in the academic term; when people have to decide between attending a meeting about medical charges and studying to pass exams, exams win.

I personally would like some questions answered about how/why the information was released the way it was.

yes it was just students moaning at people who couldn't care less

if antisoc had done nothing we would not be having this conversation. antisoc did more than you know.

we've done plenty, but i'm not in the business of going to farce meetings with 8 other students, 2 sabbatical officers and a couple of staff to have a bitching session about student charges. we have bigger agendas than that.

what do you want a medal? sounds like all your caring hasn't achieved much, what have you done for the university in all your time here?
    reunion wrote: »
    Seems to me like 9 people would have been able to change the outcome of that meeting.
    the outcome of that meeting has no affect on anything
    Why did you boycott the meeting? Was it because of the potential to change things for the better for students?

it had no potential, it was a farce, it was a chance to air grievances.
    Roro, if it isn't your anti-socs intention to intimidate people you they are giving the wrong impression.

you are inferring the wrong impression, not my fault
    Name-calling, threats and stalking people is quite intimidating.

don't exagerate, threats?threats of what? people are scardy cats.
    I've talked to some students and they feel intimidated by anti-soc. Anti-soc are intimidating students

i've talked to some students and they are feel intimidated by the easter bunny. The easter bunny is intimidating students. report the easter bunny to the advocate.
    The SU has arranged a meeting for the medical center charges, what has anti-soc done? Created new boards accounts?

arranged a meeting for our own members to come up with a plan of action, a meeting far better attended than the su's.
    I think anti-soc is full of cowards with inflated egos about how they can change the world, one boards accont at a time.

i think people need to google the word cowardice and find out what it actually means.

I also love the fact derek daly liked your post but refrained from answering any of your questions the other day.

I'm sure you can understand my frustration and annoyance over it all, especially when people have sneered at only a handful of people turning up when they didn't bother their own backsides to do attend. Then to see this guy come and say that they 'boycotted' it.

cadroc, organise a egm to bring in a new motion of no confidence in the su and i will bring a legion.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

cadroc, organise a egm to bring in a new motion of no confidence in the su and i will bring a legion.

Organize it yourself? If you really cared and think the SU is as bad as it is, why have someone else organize it? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

we are anonymous anti-soc, we are legion:rolleyes:

Organize it yourself? If you really cared and think the SU is as bad as it is, why have someone else organize it? LOL

Told the forum already I am done with the current crop of wasters and will be concentrating my efforts on the next sabbatical team. But cadroc says he is acting in the SU best interests and accuses antisoc of doing nothing, I made a offer to kill two birds with one stone. He demonstrates his commitment to acting in the best interests of the SU (the current sabbatical team are dismissed or at least cautioned) and antisoc will support it.

can't say fairer than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Calm down everyone. The SU is doing just fine. Despite the best efforts of those here with an audience of a couple of hundred.

Students are still calling in, students are still getting the services and support they need and most importantly they're still able to speak any sabbatical officer should they wish to.

Sheesh:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement