Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAGE CONTENDER XII : DUBLIN : 25 FEB 2012

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

nino1 wrote: »
    its not free if you just have a basic sky package :mad:

Ah I see. Sorry about that. I have upc so it's free there. I thought it was the same for Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Rob01 wrote: »

Just watched the fight again Barry, with your commentary which I enjoyed. I agree not fight of the night, but excluding the incident at the end. Hardly a dreadfully bad tempered affair?

have to agree, unless something happened that was not shown it was far from bad tempered. Some frustration alright but not much else

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

Niall0 wrote: »
    I was looking forward to this too, two very good fighters, I hope they are both well, it was cancelled a few days before the event I think? No Serious injurys or anything hopefully?

its talked about tonight during the broadcast. funny hearing some of the rumors back as to why though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

where was that announced? why was it cancelled?
    missed all that

I was asked about this one in an interview last Friday by Andrew McGahon on behalf of YourMMA.tv feel free to check it out.

I have heard various rumours this afternoon that Arni Isaksson could not do the weight etc etc. That is far from the truth.

The basics are Rich was supposed to fight John Ging, then John got injured. I spoke with Rich about the slim possibility that he could fight Arni at Welterweight and we both agreed that it was a win win fight for him. It was left that if we got Arni he would jump at it and if Arni's camp didn't take it he would still fight at 170lbs on 25 Feb. At first Arni had another match up with a Russian and we were looking to confirm a match for Rich. Then the Russian was refused his visa and JK then agreed to the Arni v Gorey match.

Days later it became clear that Rich would not make 170 as he had fought in the European BJJ's at 94kg. His coach and I had a chat and he said he fought at that weight because he wasn't sure of an opponent for CC. My view is that he was always contracted to fight at 170lbs on 25 Feb, but these things happen so we move on. I don't believe there was any malace in any way. It's important just to clear up the facts before the rumour mill gets out of hand.

When we looked to have a problem with JMS v Pointon John Kavanagh agreed that JMS could fight Rich at the same catchweight that was agreed with Ross. The first I heard this wasn't happening was when I got a text to say Rich had announced on Facebook he was out of the event.

As I said these things happen. We move on and look to the future. I'd like to see both Arni and Rich on our cards again soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Ah the rumour mill. Gotta love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 irishmmafan

hadnt heard any rumours, basically wanted to know y such a big fight had been cancelled. that explains it just strange it was on fb b4 u were informed. such is the fight game i spose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Have to say that Barry and Stuart are very respectable as the commentary team. Really enjoyable to listen to. It can feel really weird listening to Non American commentary because we are so used to it. But the lads are very comfortable and it feels like they are just chatting about the match.

Not too sure about the ring announcers jacket though. Bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

GSPfan wrote: »
    Have to say that Barry and Stuart are very respectable as the commentary team. Really enjoyable to listen to. It can feel really weird listening to Non American commentary because we are so used to it. But the lads are very comfortable and it feels like they are just chatting about the match.

Not too sure about the ring announcers jacket though. Bit silly.

Totally agree great job from Barry and Stuart!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I heard that Richy the postman fought and won in the first round, anybody have any more details?

Anything on you tube?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just watched it there, ya The Postman won by a nice arm bar, instant tap as soon he straightened out.

Wish an MMA event would come back to Limerick, would love to go to one again.

Great production of the show and well handy being able to watch on Setanta Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Rob01 wrote: »

Just watched the fight again Barry, with your commentary which I enjoyed. I agree not fight of the night, but excluding the incident at the end. Hardly a dreadfully bad tempered affair?
    that's fine but I'd stand by what I said. Stephen was dominating, Sean was getting frustrated and responded by goading his opponent Diaz style. All of which is great for entertainment value in the pro game but when you're 18/19 I think you should just get on with the job in hand. In fairness I have to say that despite the gesture, Sean's conduct since has been apologetic and sincere.

I just wouldn't call it fotn!

Anyway lots of more positive things to talk about from the two broadcasts. From the other side of the camera I can tell you that there was a lot if time and effort put into the production and I think it showed on tv over the last 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I just wouldn't call it fotn!

Not in a million years was it FOTN!

Don't wanna come across like i'm talking bad about a fighter, but my view of the fight was that Sean wasn't willing to comit to the strikes on the feet. When he was throwing kicks it seemed he wasn't fully commiting, fearing the counter. So when he was being dominated on the ground, I found it bizarre that he was trying to goad his opponent into fighting on the feet, when whenever the fight WAS on the feet it didn't seem like he wanted to commit.

I haven't rewatched the fight tonight on Setanta so i'm probably completely wrong. And I hope i'm not out of order giving my views here but they are just my views from cageside :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

MrStuffins wrote: »

I haven't rewatched the fight tonight on Setanta so i'm probably completely wrong. And I hope i'm not out of order giving my views here but they are just my views from cageside :P

Not at all Stuffins views are views don't apologise. What I would like to mention is when I recommended it for FOTN it was before the event was televised and for the following reasons:

In contradiction to what you might think I saw both fighters giving it there "all", from ringside/cageside both were exhausted, both showed great heart and both wanted to win so badly. From ringside I saw both lads actually throw everything into their strikes and the fights for the takedowns were battles, I saw sub attempts, sweeps, back elbows and back kicks.

Now, I guess you lose a lot of that in the transition from live and not knowing what will happen next to the tapped TV broadcast. Perhaps the strikes look a little unrefined, the power/intent less evident, even the pace a bit slower but when I recommended it for FOTN it was because when the final bell rang I thought wow that was tough fight both lads should be proud - and on my notes I wrote "FOTN?" Strangely enough watching the TV last night I actually enjoyed JMS - Pointin a helluva lot....

Now - This has no bearing on my feeling towards this being FOTN but as for the indiscretion at the end, I'd like to make two points; firstly yes - it was wrong and to some extent inexcusable.

However, he immediatley apologised and was geniune, it was accepted and that's maturity. Finally 5 or so minutes after the fight, I was near the dressing rooms taking photos and the fighter was honestly devastated and was apologising profusely to literally anybody who was around or passing through - that's remorse.

Everybody makes mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

MrStuffins wrote: »

Definitely recommend re-watching the fight on tv, because it was an intense fight, I found from re-watching it it looks an awful lot closer between Scobie and Sean. Scobie got the better take downs, took Sean to ground more, was a bit more composed, in Rounds 2 and 3, but as the commentators rightly expressed, he didn't do a whole lot when he had Sean on the ground... Sean landed the better strikes throughout the fight, defended well from bottom and I the take-down at the start of Round 3 was a nice move..

I think the frustration weighed in towards the end of Round 2, and this affected him for the rest of the fight. I thought it was an excellent fight and contest between 2 young and talented fighters.

As far as the incident at the end, uncalled for, but still at that age it's understandable and I know that Sean has learned from this and honestly regrets doing it, one positive is that having made this mistake at his age, and regretting it so much, he's unlikely to do it again and I'm sure he's learned an awful lot from this fight..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

sgb wrote: »
    I heard that Richy the postman fought and won in the first round, anybody have any more details?

Anything on you tube?

It was shown last thursday on Setanta ireland and it may still follow on sky sports.
    Twas a good fight ended by an arm bar in the 1st. The ring announcer and commentator insisted on calling him Ricky!.
    Also id like to know who was pricing this fight as onscreen tale of the tape it was listed as 6/4 McGuigan 2/1 Edgeworth:D eh can i back both fighters please!. It confused the commentator as he called McGuigan the favourite because of it. It was probably meant to be 1/2 Edgeworth which makes more sense so maybe just an on screen typo.

CAGE CONTENDER XII : NELSON -v- BUTENKO

Just a heads up that you can catch the following broadcasts this week:

PRELIM CARD: "FREE TO AIR" PREMIER SPORTS (Sky 433) Tuesday @ 7pm NO SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED!! (UK&NI)

MAIN CARD: PREMIER SPORTS (Sky 433) Tuesday @ 8pm (UK&NI)

MAIN CARD: SKY SPORTS 4 Tuesday @ 10pm (UK&Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Not at all Stuffins views are views don't apologise............
    djor88 wrote: »
    Definitely recommend re-watching the fight on tv, because it was an intense fight,.....

Have just Sky +'d it and am gonna rewatch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Lilah Flabby Perfume

The ring announcer and commentator insisted on calling him Ricky!.

Most people will know Ricky as Ricky.. I don't think I've ever called him Richie.

His brother Stewart fought in Ring of Truth II & III if I recall, and his father who was also a postman trained Judo with Parkgate St judo club and later The Daigokan Judo Club before retiring.

Big thanks to Whoa TV, Michael Morgan and Neil Grove for coming over to the event!

Gunnar Nelson's finish at CCXII :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Hadn't seen this previously. It looks like Nelson took it easy on him.

Advertisement