Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer TV

• 07-10-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed this from magnet

www.aertv.ie

no subscription required, you just have to watch an ad before the feed starts. Wonder how TV3, RTÉ and TG4 feel about them eating into their advertising revenue.

New music service from Magnet

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Won't work for me, get the ad ok then no channel will play, is it working ok for everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

copacetic wrote: »
    Won't work for me, get the ad ok then no channel will play, is it working ok for everyone else?

Try in another browser. It is working in Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cathalosullivan

I'm having issues watching Aertv on all my browsers. The ad loads up perfectly but then when the actual channels come on, the picture is distorted and extremely blurry. The sound quality is fine but its the picture that's not working.

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Elmo wrote: »
    Just noticed this from magnet

www.aertv.ie

no subscription required, you just have to watch an ad before the feed starts. Wonder how TV3, RTÉ and TG4 feel about them eating into their advertising revenue.

New music service from Magnet

RTÉ was considering sending it to their solicitors last I heard. Its almost certainly breach of copyright if done without permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yeah, I was wondering how they can rebroadcast these channels and insert advertisements. I could understand it if it was available just to Magnet subscribers an a part of their deal.

There must be a legal footing for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

icdg wrote: »
    RTÉ was considering sending it to their solicitors last I heard. Its almost certainly breach of copyright if done without permission.

I watched RTÉ 1 tonight on Magnet ..... and shut down briefly ...... and when I tried to access again just after midnight I was refused ..... seems to be now locked to Magnet customers ... for a price?

AerTV worked perfectly ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I'm having issues watching Aertv on all my browsers. The ad loads up perfectly but then when the actual channels come on, the picture is distorted and extremely blurry. The sound quality is fine but its the picture that's not working.

Any ideas?

This worked for me, right click on the picture and click "Settings". Click on the first tab, "Display" (picture of a monitor) and see if "Enable hardware acceleration" is checked. If it is, uncheck it, press "Close" and reload the page. When the video starts again it should be working ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Picture quality if fine for an internet stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cathalosullivan

Thanks for that, a simply matter of unchecking the box!Working perfectly now

Looks like they will also launch a movie channel on the service.

• Advertisement

BrianD wrote: »
    Yeah, I was wondering how they can rebroadcast these channels and insert advertisements. I could understand it if it was available just to Magnet subscribers an a part of their deal.

There must be a legal footing for it.

It seemed to me that they were carrying the ads as broadcast ...... the only extra ad I noticed was the one while the service was beginning.

Am I misunderstanding what is happening?

It seemed to me that they were carrying the ads as broadcast ...... the only extra ad I noticed was the one while the service was beginning.

Am I misunderstanding what is happening?

They are using RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 to advertise their company. As the service becomes more popular that ad will begin to be for other products. Both types of ads have issues.

Magnet do not pay any of the above companies for their services and are thus getting a free ad. This is also down to rights issues as TV3 pay ITV for programming Magnet do not, RTÉ pay BBC for programming Magnet do not and TG4 pay Independent Producers for programming Magnet do not and so on (See can be innocently bias as well haha, okay okay TG4 pay Warner Bros.).

It would be kind of like RTÉ placing an ad for RTÉ every time you switch to TV3, or UPC placing an ad for UPC every time you turn on your STB.

They are using RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 to advertise their company. As the service becomes more popular that ad will begin to be for other products. Both types of ads have issues.

Magnet do not pay any of the above companies for their services and are thus getting a free ad. This is also down to rights issues as TV3 pay ITV for programming Magnet do not, RTÉ pay BBC for programming Magnet do not and TG4 pay Independent Producers for programming Magnet do not and so on (See can be innocently bias as well haha, okay okay TG4 pay Warner Bros.).

It would be kind of like RTÉ placing an ad for RTÉ every time you switch to TV3,

I am not seeing that here ....... there is a Magnet ad when the service starts .... which I would consider they are entitled to have .... but there is no further ad from Magnet no matter what channels are chosen.
    or UPC placing an ad for UPC every time you turn on your STB.

Yes that would equate to what I am seeing ..... but other than pee-ing off the user I don't see there would be anything 'wrong' with that.

regards.

I am not seeing that here ....... there is a Magnet ad when the service starts .... which I would consider they are entitled to have

Can't see why they would be entitled to. It's the broadcasters content that they are reusing.

Having said that there's a lot of third party apps that reuse other peoples content e.g. radio apps. Some day soon the free party will come to an end.

I am not seeing that here ....... there is a Magnet ad when the service starts .... which I would consider they are entitled to have .... but there is no further ad from Magnet no matter what channels are chosen.

Yes that would equate to what I am seeing ..... but other than pee-ing off the user I don't see there would be anything 'wrong' with that.

regards.

Okay the UPC example was badly put perhaps if UPC placed a UPC add up everytime you changed channel, not just their logo. Also the fact that UPC prob won't advertise their service to current customers.

People have to get paid, weather you like that or not. And Magnet are using this as a marketing tool for their own service to make money.

Also AFAIK, and ICDG can confirm this, there was a point at which some local cable/mmds operators were selling opt out ads on certain TV channels and even placed their own local programming during some schedules.

Okay the UPC example was badly put perhaps if UPC placed a UPC add up everytime you changed channel, not just their logo.

But Magnet does not introduce an ad at every channel change only at first access to their service - before any TV channel is selected, so the example previously given was quite appropriate I think.

But Magnet does not introduce an ad at every channel change only at first access to their service - before any TV channel is selected, so the example previously given was quite appropriate I think.

1st I agree with you the UPC analogy doesn't work. I apologies but I did state this.

Now for a disclaimer: -

I do not know of any agreement made by Magnet and the broadcasters involved, they may well have a lucrative deal with each.

If they do not have any agreement my argument stands:-

Magnet are using FTA TV services to promote their service, which is akin to using a piece of music on an advert without the permission of the song writer, singer and/or record label.

If this is the case you would wonder why Magnet don't provide other FTA satellite services (Or FTA services from other countries) on AerTV? <<< Of course that is rhetorical because we all know the answer.

HEAnet and Magnet networks only coming up at the moment, and also I do realize Russia Today and France24 play on the service.

Also AFAIK, and ICDG can confirm this, there was a point at which some local cable/mmds operators were selling opt out ads on certain TV channels and even placed their own local programming during some schedules.

Cablelink used to opt-out of ad breaks on Sky One and Sky News to run adverts for Sky Sports and Sky Movies. Sometimes extremely long adverts that would run almost the entire length of an ad break.

Arguably this was different because BSkyB were not selling advertising in the Republic of Ireland (or, at any rate, specifically for the Republic of Ireland) and benefited if people subscribed to Sky Sports or Sky Movies. Once BSkyB started selling Irish advertising on Sky One and Sky News the practice ceased (but not before NTL had gotten a deal out of Sky in return for carrying the Irish opt out advertising).

It should be noted that while Sky One and Sky News were regarded as fair game, Cablelink never touched ad breaks on RTÉ, TV3, TG4, ITV, or Channel 4.

Cork Communications also interrupted ad breaks to remind people to pay their bills.

I don't remember any cable company actually replacing the ad breaks with substitute commercial advertising. Some deflectors may have though (RLO TV comes to mind).

Back to Aertv ..... as far as I am aware the ads carried and displayed on Aertv are those broadcast by the TV service ..... with the one exception of the ad that is present for Magnet prior to any TV channel being tuned in.

Changes between different TV channels does not induce any further ads from Magnet.
    In a few hours viewing, the only Magnet ad I saw was the one shown before I got a TV channel displayed.

I just don't see what the problem is with that.

It is completely different to the idea of substituting ads that are broadcast with their own ...... for which I presume they would have to have an agreement, with the broadcaster, to do.

If there is cause for them not to stream a particular TV channel or some particular programme, that is a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭very

CatchUpTV in the Uk is similar and was deemed legal. When you think about it, its just acting like tv provider (eg sky) but online.

• Advertisement

very wrote: »
    CatchUpTV in the Uk is similar and was deemed legal. When you think about it, its just acting like tv provider (eg sky) but online.

Ah but sky and virgin and most tv providers have agreements with broadcasters for carraige.

Aer tv as a site is clearly a promotion of magnet services.

RTE, Tv3 and Tg4 do not provide full live broadcasts of there own channels, how is it that magnet can.

Anyway the question still hasn't been answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Scrum5

As RTE.ie not showing Premier Soccer Saturday live this site has saved me from X-factor!

Headphones on, laptop to aertv.ie, football on, wifey watching X factor everyone happy : )

Cablelink used to opt-out of ad breaks on Sky One and Sky News to run adverts for Sky Sports and Sky Movies. Sometimes extremely long adverts that would run almost the entire length of an ad break.

Yep, I remember these. Some were modified Sky Sports promos, with Bruce Hammal actually mentioning Cablelink. I also remember ridiculously long pauses at the end of the adverts while they waited to cleanly cut back to the Sky One feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bump. Enjoying this free service, especially aertv music.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Arguably this was different because BSkyB were not selling advertising in the Republic of Ireland (or, at any rate, specifically for the Republic of Ireland) and benefited if people subscribed to Sky Sports or Sky Movies. Once BSkyB started selling Irish advertising on Sky One and Sky News the practice ceased (but not before NTL had gotten a deal out of Sky in return for carrying the Irish opt out advertising).

It should be noted that while Sky One and Sky News were regarded as fair game, Cablelink never touched ad breaks on RTÉ, TV3, TG4, ITV, or Channel 4.

Cork Communications also interrupted ad breaks to remind people to pay their bills.

I don't remember any cable company actually replacing the ad breaks with substitute commercial advertising. Some deflectors may have though (RLO TV comes to mind).

Cablelink would not have been able to insert any adverts without the prior agreement of the broadcaster, in this case Sky. I presume that this may have been a primitive fore runner to the "Irish versions" of the channels that are now available.

Cablelink would not have been able to insert any adverts without the prior agreement of the broadcaster, in this case Sky. I presume that this may have been a primitive fore runner to the "Irish versions" of the channels that are now available.

Oh, they definitely had Sky's agreement - as Karisini mentions above Sky actually modified their own promos to mention Cablelink and their phone number.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Having said that there's a lot of third party apps that reuse other peoples content e.g. radio apps. Some day soon the free party will come to an end.

To the determent of the user.

We go from having one app that gives you all the channels in the world to needing a separate app for each, crap.

Can't the advertisers just be happy that they are getting more eyeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes RLO TV lost their licence to rebroadcast C5.

bk wrote: »
    To the determent of the user.

We go from having one app that gives you all the channels in the world to needing a separate app for each, crap.

Can't the advertisers just be happy that they are getting more eyeballs.

At the moment, advertisers have no measurement on how their ads perform on AerTV so it doesn't count.

The second thing is that no TV licence seems to be required for AerTV which means that in the long term how do we fund public broadcasting. This could be easily solved by a requirement of AerTV to restrict viewing to licence holders (registration process).

There is a surprising silence from RTE on this one and even TV3. Any wind of developments?

• Advertisement

At the moment, advertisers have no measurement on how their ads perform on AerTV so it doesn't count.

The second thing is that no TV licence seems to be required for AerTV which means that in the long term how do we fund public broadcasting. This could be easily solved by a requirement of AerTV to restrict viewing to licence holders (registration process).

There is a surprising silence from RTE on this one and even TV3. Any wind of developments?

It was my understanding that the TV licencing laws were being changed to ensure that anyone capable of receiving TV channels were required to pay a licence fee.

That, IIRC, included receiving broadcast signals over the internet.

So regardless of AerTV's apparent position, the user would be required to pay a licence fee.

Has this law not been enacted?
    I haven't kept up with the situation ..... only recall the discussion around it at the time it was proposed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement