Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Baby at 38

• 15-06-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

To get the ball rolling am recently pregnant with 1st planned baby. Only 5 1/2 weeks so it could all still go away. ( Wish I had accurate statistics on Miscarraiges). Have a multitude of questions worries and queries.:confused:

Since I found out ( 6th June) I have stopped drinking and sat through the Leonard Cohen concert sober last night ( Better with a few red wines but still brilliant)
    Have bought 2 books, Miriam Stoppard and what to expect when you're expecting. Both good but I prefer the expecting book. I have made a doctor's appointment for this Tuesday and will see what he has to say to us. It's all very exciting and scary and I'm looking forward hopefully to sharing the experience with and gaining knowledge from both first timers like me and parents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Congratulations Grawns,
    Its a very exciting and nervous time! Good luck with your doctors visit, I am sure they will advise you on your hospital options.

They will probably ask you if your taking folic acid, Which is recommended to take out before conception and during the pregnancy.

Apart from that relax and enjoy it... Try not to worry about Miscarriage, I know it is easier said than done. But if it is going to happen it will and there is no point in you worrying unneccesarily about it until it does.

Anyhow, there are a couple of us preggers here at the moment, So it should be fun and games over the next few months.

Best of luck and congratulations.

Quality!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Thanks Quality, and congratulations to you too. How far along are you? And is this your first?

Grawns wrote: »
    Thanks Quality, and congratulations to you too. How far along are you? And is this your first?

Your welcome,

Ok heres me,

This is my forth pregnancy...

My 1st was a little girl born May 99. 7lb 8oz, normal delivery, no pain relief but had to have episiotomy. 18 hours in labour. 8 days late.

My 2nd was a little boy born January 06. 8lbs 2oz, induced, normal delivery, no pain relief. 10 minutes in labour ward. 10 days late.

My 3rd I lost, Miscarried last June anniversary coming up soon. It was our honeymoon baby and I would have been due on February 2nd of this year. (Which also happened to be the first day of my last period.) Lost the baby at 8 & 1/2 weeks, Had to have emergency D+C, unfortunately baby wasnt meant to be.

So on pregnancy No 4, 19 weeks 1 day (I have to update my ticker). So far everything has been great, Mild sickness at the beginning. Tiredness. Moanyness (which is out of control at the moment). Starting to really show. Due the 9th of November, But I may add 10 days onto that with my history!!

So thats me for now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Congratulatons Grawns.

I'm a first timer too. Bit younger than yourself though, doesn't help with the nervousness of being a parent!

I'm 21 :). 14 weeks and 2 days if I'm correct, doc says I am! I bought a book called Pregnancy & Birth, which is a kind of diary type book. I found it really interesting, only thing is it's an English book, so not much info on Irish hospitals or anything like that!

Try not to worry about miscarriage, I worried a lot and it only caused me a lot of sleepless nights.

I had very bad sickness and was sleeping all the time, getting better now!

Off on holidays in the morning :D, since it's ok to fly now!!

Adrieanne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

Many congratulations to you, Grawns.
    I'm 38 as well, and expecting my second child in September. There will be nearly 18 years between my first and second, so in many ways, this has been like a first time for me again.

As an "older" parent, I have several more considerations than I did when I was an expectant 20 year old. I've had doctors who have cautioned me about this thing and that, but I've had a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy and the scans have all shown a healthy and well developed fetus (we're having a boy).

The best advice I can give you is to simply underscore what's been said above already - relax, rest, eat well, take your prenatal vitamins, drink plenty of water, get your exercise (walking is super), and stay off the alcohol and ciggies.

I highly recommend the book, "Your Baby and Child" , by Penelope Leach. I bought this book with my first born in 1990 and ran out to Waterstones to buy it again in January when my husband and I found out that we were expecting. It's the best "baby manual" I've come across and will be your bible in the days after your little one arrives.

Best of luck to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

To get the ball rolling am recently pregnant with 1st planned baby. Only 5 1/2 weeks so it could all still go away. ( Wish I had accurate statistics on Miscarraiges). Have a multitude of questions worries and queries.:confused:.

Congratulation Grawns I had my first baby last August at 38 so I know exactly how worried and excited you feel.

Hate to tell you Grawns but baby is 9 months old and I still haven't had more than one glass of wine. I think I lost my taste for it while I was pregnant and I can't really enjoy a few drinks when I don't know what time I'll be woken at.:)

Have bought 2 books, Miriam Stoppard and what to expect when you're expecting. Both good but I prefer the expecting book. I have made a doctor's appointment for this Tuesday and will see what he has to say to us. It's all very exciting and scary and I'm looking forward hopefully to sharing the experience with and gaining knowledge from both first timers like me and parents.
    I have the what to expect the first year and it's the best book I ever bought has been a life saver - my husband's! (he thought I should have all the answers)

Any way best of luck hope you don't mind my replying to your mail when I'm not pregnant! but I keep thinking this time last year... and its nice to hear how other people are getting on.

Sulukie

Hi Sulukie

Delighted to hear that you were 38 too when you were going through this for the 1st time and that it all worked out for you. The thing is I'm pretty fit and healthy and used to running my own life. I'm only 3 months married so even including my husband doesn't come naturally to me. My main worry outside the health of my baby is dealing with midwives, consultants and the like. I dread them.

How did you find the whole experience? Would you do it again?

ps. Am not convinced I won't be back on the wine as soon as they cut the cord :D

Congratulatons Grawns.

I'm a first timer too. Bit younger than yourself though, doesn't help with the nervousness of being a parent!

I'm 21 :). 14 weeks and 2 days if I'm correct, doc says I am! I bought a book called Pregnancy & Birth, which is a kind of diary type book. I found it really interesting, only thing is it's an English book, so not much info on Irish hospitals or anything like that!

Try not to worry about miscarriage, I worried a lot and it only caused me a lot of sleepless nights.

I had very bad sickness and was sleeping all the time, getting better now!

Off on holidays in the morning :D, since it's ok to fly now!!

Adrieanne.

Congratulations Adrienne
    When I think what I was up to when I was 21! Well done.
    As for me, 5 weeks and 5 days today ( I think). No morning sickness yet but am sleepy but that's nothing new. The quirkiest thing is that I wake up early every morning. I mean wide awake and that's so not me. Must be a side effect of pure alcohol free existence. Also have been taking the folic acid for maybe 9 months as we did plan to try for a baby from March onwards so feel I have my health on track. Anyway Doctor appointment at 3 today so I will let you all now what he has to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Hey girls, congrats on yer pregnancies!

Grawns best of luck with the doctor today, im sure everything will be fine :) Is this your first appointment with him yes? He'll only be checking things blood pressure, weight etc and explaining booking into hospital etc. Now is your chance to ask anything you are afraid of.

Im currently 30weeks gone according to hospitals date but by our date im 32. So we'll be on our toes all of Aug. Im also a first timer and only 20 - so its just as scary for me and my boyfriend. According to doctor baby is breech atm, set alarm bells in my head but sure 8/10weeks left for himself to move and engage properly. He moves a lot so im not all that suprised. Anyways sorry for rambling on.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

Hi Sulukie

Delighted to hear that you were 38 too when you were going through this for the 1st time and that it all worked out for you. The thing is I'm pretty fit and healthy and used to running my own life. I'm only 3 months married so even including my husband doesn't come naturally to me. My main worry outside the health of my baby is dealing with midwives, consultants and the like. I dread them.

How did you find the whole experience? Would you do it again?

ps. Am not convinced I won't be back on the wine as soon as they cut the cord :D

Hi Grawns

I know what you mean about dealing with midwives etc. before I got pregnant I hadn't seen a doctor in over five years and even then it was only for a throat infection. My first checkup when I was pregnant my gp sent me home with a blood pressure monitor because every time I sat down in her office to get my pressure taken it jumped - white coat syndrome:)

Anyway after a few months of regular check ups the anxiety died down and I have to say every medical person I dealt with (with one exception) was really helpful and professional. The only advise I'll give you is never to be afraid to ask why something is being done. They don't mind being asked questions and at least that way your not lying awake at night thinking something is wrong because they did a blood test or something equally routine.

As far as how I found the whole experience - I'm not one of those women who loves being pregnant. I have a friend who loved everything about it. Don't get me wrong it was all worth it and there were parts of it I loved, the first time I heard the heart beat, feeling movements etc and the weeks from week 30 to 36 when I felt absolutely marvelous and bloomed even if I do say so myself. On the down side I had horrible all day nausea for 24 weeks, two bad UTI's (keep drinking loads of water!) felt like a whale and the tiredness for the first weeks and last weeks really couldn't be described.

I wouldn't say no I won't do it again but as I'll be forty next year and already think of this baby as my miracle it probably won't happen.

As far as the wine goes I'm planning a celebration for babys first birthday :D

Good luck with everything and let us know how you're feeling (expect that to change ten times a day!)

Sulukie

• Advertisement

Well I saw my doctor ( very casual) and made a hospital appointment for the Rotunda, ( took all day for someone to answer the phone and then they cut me off). 1st September ( I will be 17 weeks). And this was the semi-private clinic! Luckily I am willing and able to pay for private scans. Also I hate hospitals so the less I see of the place the better :) So far I am not filled with confidence and may have to emigrate :rolleyes:

I had my first visit in hospital at 16 weeks and I am not back there til I am 24 weeks now. I think that is the norm now.

They say the best time to scan is between 15-20 weeks. So 17 is good.:D

Be prepared to spend most of the day in the hospital though!!!

Really, oh crap, I got a 9.30 appointment so I thought that meant 9.30. I am so nieve:)

Also there's no way I could wait until I was 17 weeks but I'm not upset cause everything I hear about the maternity system says seriously overstretched resources. All going well I'm getting a private nuchal scan at 11 weeks.

I'm doing the combined care with my doctor so no queues there I hope :)

Yeah you may be a while, especially with the maternity hospitals being so busy.

I had a scan done at 8 weeks for my own piece of mind as well.

The combined care is great, I went this week to my doctor, she has the fetal heart monitor, so I could hear the babys heartbeat, s/he gave a big thump as well. Another little bruiser for me!!

How exciting, I can't wait to hear the heartbeat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm going public in the Rotunda Grawns and my first appt is not till I am 21 weeks pregnant, so count yourself lucky!! I paid for a private scan in their RCSI unit though and it was brilliant. Well worth the money to know that babs is ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Congratulations, Grawns! i hope all goes well for you. Isn't Boards.ie great, as I assume you haven't told anybody but your husband yet - yet you're able to share your lovely news here!
    My cousin had her first baby at 42, and will give birth in September to her second girl at the age of 43 (only 3 months off 44!). Both babies are perfect.
    What to expect when you're expecting I imagine is very informative, as no matter what problem crops up you will find it discussed in this book and can put your mind at rest or take whatever steps are necessary. I definitely recommend it's follow up "What to expect the first year of life"before baby arrives as it does really put your mind at ease. It was my lifeline!
    Good luck on your first appointment.

Thanks kelle. Have told my parents and his but we all understand itis early days and all. Brings me to a dilemma I will start a new thread on.

Advertisement