Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I support a different county hurling team?

• 27-06-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Can a person support a team from a county other than their own? For example, can a person from Offaly support Kilkenny? And if not, why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭celt262

Can a person support a team from a county other than their own? For example, can a person from Offaly support Kilkenny? And if not, why not?

Course you can sure a person from Cavan can play for Kildare so i dont see why someone cant support another county.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Of course you can, but why would you? As the saying goes, the GAA is about where you're from, not who you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

No. When we're born the doctor inserts a micro chip inside our right arm (has to be the right arm, wouldn't work with the left) with a serial number unique to each County.

When you got through the grounds of any Senior Inter-County game (Christy Ring et al included) it reacts if you are wearing a County jersey that does not correspond with the serial number. It is able to do this as each County jersey has a matching serial number attached to the right shoulder, which is invisible to the human eye.

Now, you may think that that's grand, you'll just wear a normal t-shirt. Wrong, it's not grand. The GAA employees several operatives (secret agents if you will) to mingle in with the crowds at matches. They are highly trained individuals, and no how to tell a Cork man from a Kerry man, a feat that deserves to be treated due recognition and caution. If they feel someone is in breach of Code 62 (that's what the GAA refer to this operation as) they confront them and ask them some questions, relevant to their own County (not necessarily relevant to the GAA, as often supporters have no idea of what their County's history was like). They also strategically place themselves in toilets and behind shops, as well as disguising themselves as stewards in an attempt to suss out accents that don't belong at the match they're attending. This last one sometimes has repercussions as evidenced last Sunday in Cork. It appears to many deep-cover agents were let in and it tipped the enforcer-steward equilibrium to one side. In other words, these agents had no idea how to perform the functions of a normal steward, leading to chaos for run of the mill supporters.

I must warn you that while some cunning folks have managed to evade the authorities and support a County not of their birth, few succeed. The GAA's operatives have been briefed to eliminate any persons in breach of Code 62, quietly and discreetly. They are replaced with kinder, quieter people of identical appearance, who will stay loyal too their own County.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Whether your from Carlow or Kilkenny I think you should always get behind your own team. Its a mark of a true supporter to stand by your own through thick and thin. There's an element of bandwagonery in Irish sport that I don't want to see creep into the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

I was born and raised a few miles inside the Cork side of the Cork-Waterford border. Despite this I have always supported Waterford. My father is from Waterford and my grandfather played for Waterford and I have been going to Waterford games for as long as i can remember. Can't bring myself to even cheer for Cork because you can't have your cake and eat it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Its a free country you can support who you want. But I think if i walked into my local wearing a Cork or Tipp jersey I dont think my life would be worth living. But i suppose if your from a non hurling county, and you enjoy hurling and you want to support one of the top teams, cant see much harm in that, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheLoneGunmen

@mountainlad: that's funny. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

deisedude wrote: »
    I was born and raised a few miles inside the Cork side of the Cork-Waterford border. Despite this I have always supported Waterford. My father is from Waterford and my grandfather played for Waterford and I have been going to Waterford games for as long as i can remember. Can't bring myself to even cheer for Cork because you can't have your cake and eat it! :pac:

Kinda the same as you :P Well not really, kinda, I dunno..
    But I've lived in Clare for a good proportion of my life but my dad brought me to all the Limerick matches since I was a young 'un coz he's from there so I support Limerick :P

But ya like, it's good to support your own. I wouldn't really see how you could support fulltime a different county tbh unless you've good reason to. It just wouldn't feel right like..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Connacht hurling support in the All-Ireland championship is a case-study in this - the rest of Connacht defaults to supporting Galway, if anyone. I know I'd love Galway to win as it's the only way the Liam McCarthy is ever going to cross the Shannon.

The poetic hilarity of the inter-provincial starting 15 being made up of the Galway team in Connacht jerseys is lost on no one.

Kinda the same as you :P Well not really, kinda, I dunno..
    But I've lived in Clare for a good proportion of my life but my dad brought me to all the Limerick matches since I was a young 'un coz he's from there so I support Limerick :P

But ya like, it's good to support your own. I wouldn't really see how you could support fulltime a different county tbh unless you've good reason to. It just wouldn't feel right like..

If you ask me, sounds like you should be supporting Clare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

If you ask me, sounds like you should be supporting Clare!

And if you ask me, you should be supporting your geographical home county. But you don't :)
    Pot, kettle, black!

And if you ask me, you should be supporting your geographical home county. But you don't :)
    Pot, kettle, black!

I'll link you a map sometime, then we'll see who supports their geographical home county :P

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

No you can't. What joy would you get from another county winning? This isn't the premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

Wee bit parochial down there are we?
    mouthinlad wrote: »
    I think that Waterford should have 2 different county teams. One from the West and one from the East. It would be nice to get all the eastern influence out of the Waterford team, but for now I think this is the only option. I think that a team made of purely western players and no eastern rif raf would be brilliant, as the west is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

You can't choose who to support, you are what you are and you support your own county, end of.

But then....... My daughter is born and currently living in Dublin, still only a baby, but if I see a Dublin jersey on her I will seriously have to consider her inheritance... She will be brought up as a Meath woman.

My wife on the other hand is English. She wanted to follow Meath, but I explained that that is simply not how it works. I gave her 3 choices: 1. Lancashire, where she is from, 2. Donegal, her mothers county. 3. Mayo her fathers county. She chose Donegal.

So I've contradicted myself twice, in a way.

But one thing is for sure you can never change, ever.... Well apart from Seanie Johnson, Larry Tomkins, Shay Fahy, etc, etc,

I've given myself a lot to think about there, time to put the gaff on the market and start commuting from Meath... The thought of rearing a Dub... I feel sick :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Syferus wrote: »
    Connacht hurling support in the All-Ireland championship is a case-study in this - the rest of Connacht defaults to supporting Galway, if anyone. I know I'd love Galway to win as it's the only way the Liam McCarthy is ever going to cross the Shannon.

The poetic hilarity of the inter-provincial starting 15 being made up of the Galway team in Connacht jerseys is lost on no one.

But Galway is in Leinster... :p

Personally, I'm born and bred in Dublin but follow Waterford almost as much as I do the Dubs. Spent all my summers in Dunmore East as my grandfather was from there (not a hurling town, I'll admit) and from '98 on I supported the Waterford hurlers through the "glory days". Have always followed the Dubs and get to most Dublin hurling games these days, and would always cheer for them against Waterford, but in any other situation I'll shout for Na Déisi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Im living in sligo 28 years out of 29, we moved here when i was a baby, but ive been goin to meath games since i was 5 yrs old, i couldnt just stop supportin meath. Its part of me. Id still like to see sligo do ok, as long as it doesnt impact on the royals!

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    But Galway is in Leinster... :p

Personally, I'm born and bred in Dublin but follow Waterford almost as much as I do the Dubs. Spent all my summers in Dunmore East as my grandfather was from there (not a hurling town, I'll admit) and from '98 on I supported the Waterford hurlers through the "glory days". Have always followed the Dubs and get to most Dublin hurling games these days, and would always cheer for them against Waterford, but in any other situation I'll shout for Na Déisi.

Do you go to Waterford matches in the leage or champo. I am in the same situation in that I was born in Dublin but my father and all my relations on his side are from Limerick and he used to bring me to Limerick hurling games as a young lad. I also spend my summers in Limerick as a youngster and have followed them ever since aswell as the Dublin hurling team;)

John37 wrote: »
    Do you go to Waterford matches in the leage or champo.

Both wherever possible, but it's mostly not possible because the league games are played the same days (or same weekend) and I work weekends as it is, so my time is mainly spent following the Dubs during the league. Was down in Fraher Field this year for the meaningless match this year though, and have been to Munster Finals, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals, AI Qualifiers, Quarters and Semi-Finals to see Waterford also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm a Clare supporter first and foremost, but Galway would be my second team once Clare are out of the Championship, mainly cause I went to college there and my mother is from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I used to remember every Dub I met was a Kilkenny Hurling Supporter a few years ago.

Seems to have died a little now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,294 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I could never support another county hurling team, but I am blessed to be from Kilkenny.
    I've lived in Galway now for over 7 years now, but I have not gained any affection for the Tribesmen.
    I go to a few inter county matches not involving KK throughout the year but I would remain neutral.
    If Tipp are playing, I do hope the other team will win (sorry, it's the rivalry bred into me :o).
    I have three young nephews who are from Tipperary, and the eldest, who is six, is showing a great interest in hurling. His father is out pucking the ball with him most evenings at the moment and the team he plays for has had a training session with Eoin Kelly and John Mullane recently. The nephews have pedigree in them in that their father played for Tipp minors and their great-grandfather played in goal for KK seniors.

God knows what I'll I'll do if he ends up playing for Tipp or if any of his younger brothers do :eek: :eek:
    Blood is thicker than water eh?

I used to remember every Dub I met was a Kilkenny Hurling Supporter a few years ago.

Seems to have died a little now.

Supporter or admirer? Big difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

As an Irish person replied when asked if they would now support England after Ireland had been knocked out of EURO 2012,

I would support them, but I wouldn't want them to win.

Supporter or admirer? Big difference between the two.

Supporter

Supporter

Well I live in Dublin and have followed hurling for years, have never met a Dub who owned a KK jersey or travelled to see them with any sort of regularity. Plenty of people would go and see them in Croker against whoever, but I wouldn't call them supporters.

We're clearly hanging in different circles. :o

Well I live in Dublin and have followed hurling for years, have never met a Dub who owned a KK jersey or travelled to see them with any sort of regularity. Plenty of people would go and see them in Croker against whoever, but I wouldn't call them supporters.

We're clearly hanging in different circles. :o

Maybe. I knew guys who had The KK Jersey and they were Dubs and went down to Nolan park.

Im not just talking couple people either. My mates who lived in Dublin would say the same at the time. We used to find it funny that they would not support their own.

It has changed little since Dublin became good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RockyRainbow

Now that's funny. Fair play bud.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Welcome to boards RockyRainbow and thanks for taking the effort to register to post something positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 RockyRainbow

Clareman wrote: »
    Welcome to boards RockyRainbow and thanks for taking the effort to register to post something positive.

Thanks...I don't actually know what I'm doing, tis daunting, I'm fairly sure people are judging me...

Advertisement