Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on mortgage interest supplement

• 30-03-2012 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I am due to finish a jobbridge internship in 2 months. After that I think I have 2 months on JSB and then will have to apply for JSA - in the event of not securing employment.

I don't have any great savings and I have gone interest-only on my mortgage (which comes to a total of €700/month). My current tenant is moving overseas at the end of April so I will have to try and get someone in, although that may prove difficult for a while.

Can anyone tell me if I would qualify for MIS? And also the procedure I need to follow to be means tested for JSA.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

As far as i know Mortgage Interest Supplement is only paid to your private resisdence. You won't get it if you are renting your house out. Are you just renting a room or the whole house ?

marlie2005 wrote: »
    As far as i know Mortgage Interest Supplement is only paid to your private resisdence. You won't get it if you are renting your house out. Are you just renting a room or the whole house ?

Hi Marlie and thanks for your reply

I am renting a room in my house, but the tenant is moving out at the end of the month. If I don't get anyone in asap I cannot afford the interest-only part of my mortgage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You should be covered for MIS, thought the rent from your tenant may be considered.

Stheno wrote: »
    You should be covered for MIS, thought the rent from your tenant may be considered.

Do you know how they work the rate out? I won't have a tenant after the end of April and it will probably take me a while to get one.

• Advertisement

Hi all, I am meeting with a guy in my local social welfare office tomorrow about getting MIS. I explained my circumstances to him and he said I should have no problem qualifying.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much I can expect to receive if my interest per month on my mortgage is €700.

I was told I have to take forms to my bank and get them to fill out.

How is payment then received?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Advertisement