Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flannery retiring

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

If he had returned Ireland would have had serious depth at Hooker with him, Best and Strauss. I don't think that it's even remotely obvious in order to put those three.

ya forgot Cronin although his line-out throws aren't great but hes good with ball in hand

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

ya forgot Cronin although his line-out throws aren't great but hes good with ball in hand

Certainly, but I would respectfully say that Cronin won't be benching for Ireland once Strauss is Irish qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Certainly, but I would respectfully say that Cronin won't be benching for Ireland once Strauss in Irish qualified.

true seems like a much better allround player than cronin pity about flannery think the second bad injury he got it was gonna be hard to come back.hope the irfu get flannery training the under age sides in munster or ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

[Jackass] wrote: »

Definitely our best hooker since Keith Wood, he had a good career and I'm sure there's a career in rugby for him beyond his playing days.

I'm not so sure, Shane Byrne would be up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Yeah I liked Shane Byrne. Great line out thrower. Worked himself up to lions starter. Went a bit downhill from there though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Claim The Frame

Really sad to see him go he was a great player shame about all his injury's!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

Sad day,one of my all time favorite Munster players and he always seemed like a gentleman

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

durkadurka wrote: »
    Yeah I liked Shane Byrne. Great line out thrower. Worked himself up to lions starter. Went a bit downhill from there though...

Saying Flannery and Byrne were the best hookers since Keith Wood isn't really saying much. Was there anyone else in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Saying Flannery and Byrne were the best hookers since Keith Wood isn't really saying much. Was there anyone else in between?

Jackman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Sheahan, Jackman and Best. He's well above any of those, and imo, well above Byrne too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think he is 'well above' Best at all. Comfortably better then the others though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

wprathead wrote: »
    Jackman?

Always thought Jackman was average at best

Certainly not as good as he made him self out to be in his outrage over not getting more caps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

wprathead wrote: »
    Jackman?

A poor man's Woody!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

If he had returned Ireland would have had serious depth at Hooker with him, Best and Strauss. I don't think that it's even remotely obvious what order those three would be in.

Tbh i'd rather see Cronin in ahead of Strauss for Ireland eventually, purely because Strauss, as good as he is, isnt actually irish :S

Imagine how much depth we'd have if Stephen Moore had of declared for Ireland also!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

On this topic, Strauss was excellent yesterday, particularly in his role as the mythical seven. He won thousands of turnovers and was constantly slowing things down on the floor.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Dont forget Fogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Saw the Fla training harder than ever in the Arena. Maybe he's having second thoughts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't think he is 'well above' Best at all. Comfortably better then the others though.

Best's performances during and the since the World Cup have put him roughly on par with Flannery IMO. But when they were both competing for the 2 jersey 3 years ago Flannery was a good head and shoulders above Best.

It's worth noting that Flannery would most probably have been the starting hooker during the last Lions tour back then, Best will most probably start in this tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

durkadurka wrote: »
    A poor man's Woody!

thats like comparing a Ferrari to a pair of burnt out slippers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Flannery was a very good player, an excellent pro and a thoroughly decent man. He has some great displays for Ireland and like everyone else I wish him all the best. Talk of him being world class and an Ireland great are wide of mark, he may have had a world class lineout throw but that was it. Rory Best on the form of last 18 months is a comfortably better player than Flannery was at his peak in 2009 in most aspects of play most notably- leadership, scrummaging, tackling, work rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Brewster wrote: »
    Flannery was a very good player, an excellent pro and a thoroughly decent man. He has some great displays for Ireland and like everyone else I wish him all the best. Talk of him being world class and an Ireland great are wide of mark, he may have had a world class lineout throw but that was it. Rory Best on the form of last 18 months is a comfortably better player than Flannery was at his peak in 2009 in most aspects of play most notably- leadership, scrummaging, tackling, work rate.

And most notably he's still a weak thrower. It's like saying a fullback is great at everything except catching, or an outhalf is great except for his kicking.

Advertisement