Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi in Waterford

• 22-10-2005 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I dont know if anyone has seen the ad running in The News And Star for the last few weeks looking for a manager for their new store opening soon in Waterford .
    Does anybody have any idea where they're going and dont say the Glass factory car park because they abandoned that site months ago due to its unsuitability for building and are currently in the process of getting of trying to get their money back there.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

meldrew wrote:
    Does anybody have any idea where they're going and dont say the Glass factory car park because they abandoned that site months ago due to its unsuitability for building and are currently in the process of getting of trying to get their money back there.

Good luck with that,
    Not waterford crystals fault that Aldi bought the land, all they can do is try and sell it on
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

What's wrong with the land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Cabaal wrote:
    Good luck with that,
    Not waterford crystals fault that Aldi bought the land, all they can do is try and sell it on
    :rolleyes:

They're rumoured to have bought to old Valu Centre Cash Carry at the Rear of the Yellow House Pub on the Cork Road (by the dump).:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's going on the ground floor of the new complex opposite the government buildings on the Glen (beside the Showboat pub). As far as I know it's very near completion!

What actually happened with the Cork Road land is that tanks from the Maxol leaked oil into the land hindering construction. Aldi are, to the best of my knowledge, trying to make Maxol pay up for the clean up job and will then persue building the store!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

It's going on the ground floor of the new complex opposite the government buildings on the Glen (beside the Showboat pub). As far as I know it's very near completion!

What actually happened with the Cork Road land is that tanks from the Maxol leaked oil into the land hindering construction. Aldi are, to the best of my knowledge, trying to make Maxol pay up for the clean up job and will then persue building the store!

Is that not going to be a multi story car park?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rightly so, unless Aldi caused the damage to the tanks that caused them to leak

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yeah we were told when I was in college last year that it's going to take a hell of a lot of time to clear up the oil and make the soil suitable enough to build on. Something to do with new health and safety guidelines. That or else those have been around for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Actually, my grandad worked in the Glass Factory, and it was supposedly fuel from inside the factory that made it all radioactive...god can you imagine it..radiated cheap sweets..

You realise that petrol is not ratioactive ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal wrote:
    You realise that petrol is not ratioactive ;)

If it is, we are all ****ed ><

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭south

Freddie59 wrote:
    Is that not going to be a multi story car park?:confused:
    It is but part of the bottom floor with be used as aldi. I don’t they were planning to move in there but after what happened with the other site they were looking for a suitable place and they found one there.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Passing by this multi story car park over the weekend, I now see that Aldi have positioned their signs on the front of this building. Looks like it will only be a matter of weeks at this stage, before we see them opening their doors in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

have heard there's also an Aldi opening in Carrick-on-Suir somewhere near the Sean Kelly centre

can anyone from the area shed any more light on this???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

have heard there's also an Aldi opening in Carrick-on-Suir somewhere near the Sean Kelly centre

can anyone from the area shed any more light on this???

I heard that story around 3 years ago and alas still no aldi.

As for the radioactive Glass factory , Are you related to Monty Burns?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

It is going at the Waterford Crystal Car Park... PLease follow the link below to Waterford City Council Planning lists for Jan/Feb 2006

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/planninglists/lists/2006/Jan30_Feb02Received.pdf

Is their not a Aldi store opening up in The Glenn in the next while, they have the signs up and all
    Its really going to effect SuprValue I'd say :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

They are'nt going ahead with the leisure centre on the Cork road site and are putting in a car showroom instead ! I wonder will they be selling cheap cars as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭col o

I think there was something in the N&S last week.Apparently the rendition works are complete and the can start building but the have modified the plan so thy have to resubmit for permission.I don't think the objectors in Kingsmeadow are an issue this time.I think this looks promising for once.

Courtesy of Bards.........

FILE
    NUMBER
    DATE : 08/02/2006 WATERFORD CITY COUNCIL
    P L A N N I N G A P P L I C A T I O N S
    PLANNING APPLICATIONS RECEIVED FROM 30/01/2006 TO 05/02/2006
    APPLICANTS NAME
    AND ADDRESS
    APP.
    TYPE
    DATE
    RECEIVED
    DEVELOPMENT DESCRIPTION AND LOCATION
    TIME : 13:57:27 PAGE : 1
    PROT.
    STRU
    IPC
    LIC.
    WASTE
    LIC.
    Rowe Creavin Surgery
    First Floor
    Broad Street Centre
    Waterford
    P 30/01/2006 change of use from an existing dwelling to a medical
    surgery. Incorporate dwelling into existing medical surgery
    adjacent by knocking through at ground floor and first
    floor. The removal of existing front wall to provide
    car-parking and the erection of railings to match those on
    the existing Rowe Creavin Surgery and all associated site
    works
    224 Lismore Park
    Waterford
    06/35
    Aldi Stores (Ireland)
    Developments Ltd.
    c/o John Spain Associates
    10 Lower Mount Street
    Dublin 2
    P 31/01/2006 development at (formerly the Waterford Crystal car park).
    This development will consist of a four storey mixed use
    development consisting of 5,245 sq. m gross floor area of
    commercial floorspace including: two retail warehouse
    units with a combined gross floor area of 1,614 sq. m and
    associated signage; a three storey car show room with a
    gross floor area of 1,313 sq. m.; an Aldi Discount
    foodstore with a gross floor area of 1,483 sq. m (net retail
    area 1,075 sq. m) and associated signage; cafe with
    exterior roof terrace with a gross floor area of 169 sq. m
    and office with a gross floor area of 169 sq. m. Vehicular
    access is provided from Ashe Road. A total of 162 car
    parking spaces, an ESB substation, landscaping, service
    areas and associated site works on a 1.1 ha site.
    Kingsmeadow,
    Cork Road
    Waterford
    06/36

Fingers crossed Col , McCann might have a bit of time on his hands until the next Brewery submission , he could be turning his beady eye elsewhere to keep him in practice !:D

• Advertisement

meldrew wrote:
    Fingers crossed Col , McCann might have a bit of time on his hands until the next Brewery submission , he could be turning his beady eye elsewhere to keep him in practice !:D

Fingers crossed but Knowing our luck we'll be the Aldi capital of Ireland and McCann and the rest of them Hijacking the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ive heard again that Aldi is opening in the next week or two over by the tax office on Bridge Street. Is this true? Has anyone a definite date?

At the moment it looks like they are just waiting for the place to be stocked , there has'nt been much done in the last week so it definitely could be within the next two weeks alright

Just passed there again today and its the same as it was a couple of weeks ago ! Wonder what the hold up is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

I noticed the same thing. I looked in about 3 weeks ago and it looks the exact same today :confused:
    Apparently all the staff positions have been filled with weeks so there must be a hold up somewhere..

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Things look to be getting a move on there today. I passed by there this morning and there was an Aldi truck unloading shelving and there seems to be pallets on the floor inside the store now. With a bit of luck it should be open in the next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

About time something broke Lidls monopoly of German supermarkets in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Is it just me or does the place look tiny....more like an over sized Centra or Spar than a proper supermarket?

Roen wrote:
    Is it just me or does the place look tiny....more like an over sized Centra or Spar than a proper supermarket?

They're usually quite small anyway.To me it looks a similar size to the one in Parnell St West in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Aldi/Lidl are note really proper supermarkets anyways. They are small enough. Every lidl/aldi store is built from the same plans whether it's in Waterford or Warsaw.

Advertisement