Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

AntiRip wrote: »
    That's great. He was saying all right people do better in the last CA as it's very building based with no decision making (loops) :). There's a lot of making object references and linking up jlabels to jframes etc. It's not too bad until I saw some of the questions on labsheet 14! Private methods and it looks like the whole format of the solution is upside down with the main method at the bottom of the question. May need to read it again a few times :)

Yeah GUI got fairly tricky but manageable I reckon with a little effort, I hope anyway

That's great. He was saying all right people do better in the last CA as it's very building based with no decision making (loops) :). There's a lot of making object references and linking up jlabels to jframes etc. It's not too bad until I saw some of the questions on labsheet 14! Private methods and it looks like the whole format of the solution is upside down with the main method at the bottom of the question. May need to read it again a few times :)

The tutorial today was very good regarding CA3 definitely well worth attending this week you,ll feel great about the CA afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Just edited a previous post instead of writing a new one.
    The banner is needed just for the American Football poster anyway.

Found out you need to do the banner for either choice of project.

Just edited a previous post instead of writing a new one.

Found out you need to do the banner for either choice of project.

Yeah thankfully the banner is pretty easy, just need to write a "script" now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I neve realised that we have to use the John Woods logo from the website instead of off the x drive. The fact that the text is white from the website is a bit of a problem for me and I had made quite a nice looking logo (with contact info) bit of a pain having to redo it again.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    I neve realised that we have to use the John Woods logo from the website instead of off the x drive. The fact that the text is white from the website is a bit of a problem for me and I had made quite a nice looking logo (with contact info) bit of a pain having to redo it again.

Yeah the biggest problems with the website are the CRAP logo the very restrictive color scheme available based on the logo and they simply want too much information on some pages , very difficult to have them uncluttered, why oh why could we have not had even a limited choice :((

JFlah wrote: »
    Yeah the biggest problems with the website are the CRAP logo the very restrictive color scheme available based on the logo and they simply want too much information on some pages , very difficult to have them uncluttered, why oh why could we have not had even a limited choice :((

Yeah, im finding it quite difficult trying to have the home page withou too much clutter but its so akward, and some products have very little information, like the calving camera system has absolutley no information. The whole thing is pure frustrating, whatever about having to do it on the one topic but having to do it in such a specific manner is just too restrictive especially for students with such limited experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Why oh Why didn't I do more work when I was off for Easter?!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Opinicus wrote: »
    Why oh Why didn't I do more work when I was off for Easter?!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

You're either up very early or up very late ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Sleep is for losers! or people who have already finished their projects!

• Advertisement

Opinicus wrote: »
    Sleep is for losers! or people who have already finished their projects!

I truly fear for what's ahead of us :D

In all my years I've spent in college I've only once ever did an all nighter. Took me 2 or 3 days to get over it and swore never to do it again. I love my sleep :)

I did an all nighter for the digital imaging assigment, it was horrible. It wasn't by being lazy but I most have designed about 5 different covers before I finally settled on one. Not fun going into a 3 hour web design lecture with no sleep:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Not fun going into a 3 hour web design lecture with no sleep:D

Your going to love 2nd year, all the sleep/coffee/amphetamines in the world won't help you.

For web design do we have to use the image of the van? Or is it optional? It looks awful :confused:

For web design do we have to use the image of the van? Or is it optional? It looks awful :confused:

I would say yes as it looks like the main picture on original site.

Why not throw it into PS and put a border on it, maybe a shadow or other special effect. May make it stand out better on page?

Ill probably do alright something with it but the photo itself doesn't look great really, least it'll take up some of the home page, which im struggling to fill.

Ill probably do alright something with it but the photo itself doesn't look great really, least it'll take up some of the home page, which im struggling to fill.
    I'm not 100% sure but I don,t think we HAVE to use that image I think we can just chose from the images that are suitable for our site , but don,t quote me on that!!!

We got an email today about web design saying it will be corrected in 1440 x 900. Are we meant to set up the style sheet with this in mind? That document about resolution wasn't much use:confused:

We got an email today about web design saying it will be corrected in 1440 x 900. Are we meant to set up the style sheet with this in mind? That document about resolution wasn't much use:confused:

I used 960 as my page width based on the 960 grid system which is popular with web developers and it's staying like that as my divs are setup now.

The resolution will only be an issue if you don't have some positioning set up on your page because some containers may move in different sized monitors. I check my site on both 15" and 24" monitors just to make sure.

Thank god Digital Imaging finished at last , never want to see another research book!!! now to get cracking on web design!!

• Advertisement

Just finished java CA and subsequently the final CA of the semester. Digital Imaging pretty much done too. Web Design is painfully slow, about 2 hours last night was spent one one tiny section of the products page but the more I do of it, the easier the coding is becoming. Im not havign to refer to notes or the net every few minutes, just lots and lots of minor alterations.

Just finished java CA and subsequently the final CA of the semester. Digital Imaging pretty much done too. Web Design is painfully slow, about 2 hours last night was spent one one tiny section of the products page but the more I do of it, the easier the coding is becoming. Im not havign to refer to notes or the net every few minutes, just lots and lots of minor alterations.

Yeah the website is amazingly frustrating!! beginning to take a little shape now though I think. How was the Java CA? I,m hoping it's reasonably straight forward

Was grand really,
    Got asked to enter a sentence, two buttons one was to convert it to uppercase, the other was to display how many characters in the sentence. There is a method to switch between the buttons but I hadn't a clue how to implement. Apart from that it was ok, kinda struggled to fit in anytime to study for it though.

Was grand really,
    Got asked to enter a sentence, two buttons one was to convert it to uppercase, the other was to display how many characters in the sentence. There is a method to switch between the buttons but I hadn't a clue how to implement. Apart from that it was ok, kinda struggled to fit in anytime to study for it though.

To switch between textfields you have to put an event listener on the one you click. Then I think you type event.getSource() of the textfield and requestFocus() for the next one if that makes since to you?

To switch between textfields you have to put an event listener on the one you click. Then I think you type event.getSource() of the textfield and requestFocus() for the next one if that makes since to you?
    yeah it's if(e.getSource() = textField)
    otherField.requestFocus(); ..... I think

Any of ye have Linux CA today. Heard it was tricky enough..

Had mine on Monday, barely passed the lab CA but done quite well in the written CA. Not bothered with that subject anyway, once I get my mandatory 15% in the final exam i'll have passed it.

I didn't notice I was having this problem till my fecking Web Design class was over. In my style sheets I have this bit of code:
    <style type="text/css">
    body {background-color:red; }
    When I go to the html page that is linked to the stylesheet, it doesn't appear, I've tried it with background-image as well and in the html page i've tried using <body style="..."> and nothing happens either. If ye have any ideas what the problem is?

I didn't notice I was having this problem till my fecking Web Design class was over. In my style sheets I have this bit of code:

When I go to the html page that is linked to the stylesheet, it doesn't appear, I've tried it with background-image as well and in the html page i've tried using <body style="..."> and nothing happens either. If ye have any ideas what the problem is?

Do you have the code <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="main.css" /> before the title tags?

• Advertisement

have you tried the hex value for the colour?
    eg body{background-color:#FFFFFF;} and is there some content in the body before you view it?

Advertisement