Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Navy ... any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

Yea can't wait to get started, just trying to put together a checklist now for packing, couple things to get but other than that i'm sorted :)
    I reckon it'll be around 5 weeks or so and we might get a weekend off. I remember hearing a few of the lads slagging one of the others down in the base, saying he was off every couple of weeks during recruit training so i guess it depends on the training staff and how well behaved we are ha :eek:

Really, we will all be dying for a drink so. Ya I think I have most things. I better buy more blazes for the razor so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

MRLAZY wrote: »
    Really, we will all be dying for a drink so. Ya I think I have most things. I better buy more blazes for the razor so.

Luckily for me I don't touch the stuff... It'll be a while before we get any time off I'd say. If one person messes up the whole class gets punished, it's just how it goes and I'm sure it happens a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Discussing it on the internet won't make life very easy for you either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 naesrrug

Anyone still waiting vetting, pain in the bollox at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Panda General

naesrrug wrote: »
    Anyone still waiting vetting, pain in the bollox at this stage

yea rang this morning my vetting hasn't come back either

• Advertisement

Same here, I called yesterday, so I take it only a few went down today and not a full class!

No, there's a full class, they always do it on first come first served. It isnt their fault you filled the form out incorrectly.

No, there's a full class, they always do it on first come first served. It isnt their fault you filled the form out incorrectly.

Really and how do you know there is a full class?? and i didn't fill the form incorrectly....

Nor did I, I filled it out correctly and was told it simply hasn't come back yet, so whos telling porkies about more going down?

My apologies, I presumed you were one of those whose vetting form was returned.

• Advertisement

From the info I recieved, my vetting form hasn't come back - or didn't come back in time. Do you reckon thats game over for me. I've been hearing conflicting stories regarding intake - one class or two smaller groups. Wishful thinking at this stage?

From the info I recieved, my vetting form hasn't come back - or didn't come back in time. Do you reckon thats game over for me. I've been hearing conflicting stories regarding intake - one class or two smaller groups. Wishful thinking at this stage?

Yea mine hasn't come back either, hopefully its not game over yet, i would like to think that they are doing 2 small groups but can't see that happening, hopefully we will get an answer soon on whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I would get onto your local Garda station and tell them the craic, have them contact the Navy

Don't think that would be much use. I've been told to sit tight, that I'll know when they know.

murph226 wrote: »
    I would get onto your local Garda station and tell them the craic, have them contact the Navy

No good, vetting unit are seperate from the GS.

hi, ive noticed your name on a few military related posts, ive just been given a date for my NS training to commence, thing is I have a young child and long term partner, Im in Dublin, training is 6 months I believe, how often do you reckon Ill be able to see my family, I knew this day would come but not at such short notice so emotionally im not prepared. Any info. greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jim048

hi, ive noticed your name on a few military related posts, ive just been given a date for my NS training to commence, thing is I have a young child and long term partner, Im in Dublin, training is 6 months I believe, how often do you reckon Ill be able to see my family, I knew this day would come but not at such short notice so emotionally im not prepared. Any info. greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I applied for the navy last time around, didn't get it but two of my mates got in. Been honest with you, you will get barely no time off when your in training and as far as I know training is about 5 and a half months.
    The last class started the 12th of May and their passing out parade is the 29th of September. So far they got one weekend off, so I reckon you will be lucky to get off three times during training.
    After you pass out it might be different though, you will have more time to yourself and won't be living in the naval base.
    Correct me if i'm wrong but you will spend around three weeks at sea, and two weeks inland.That doesn't mean you have two weeks off though.

I'm due to go down on Wednesday, missed out on May 12th due to vetting form delay. As far as I know, once assigned to a ship, you do your sea duty but remain working on ship while along side. I have a young child and it will kill me to leave but in the long run I hope it goes towards giving him a better life.
    Have you been given a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

I'm due to go down on Wednesday, missed out on May 12th due to vetting form delay. As far as I know, once assigned to a ship, you do your sea duty but remain working on ship while along side.

That depends on your watch. You could easily have many weekends off when alongside. Don't forget your annual leave. Just a suggestion, is it beyond the realms of possibility to move the whole family to cobh/cork or somewhere near Hbowline?

In the future we've agreed to atleast a mid point betwwen Dublin and Cork, I dont mind the drive, but I'll get settled first and see what happens. After a while a move to Cork would'nt be out of the question as the few times the gf was there she loved it!

• Advertisement

Why did you not use the gym aboard ship instead of listening to the oul sweats bragging?
    How did the crew of Aoife manage to take part in a charity cycle from Dungarvan to Cork? How did the crew of Roisin manage to maintain their fitness enough that they could run the 10K as a block last october?

Don't blame the Naval service for your own personal discipline failings.

Why did you not use the gym aboard ship instead of listening to the oul sweats bragging?
    How did the crew of Aoife manage to take part in a charity cycle from Dungarvan to Cork? How did the crew of Roisin manage to maintain their fitness enough that they could run the 10K as a block last october?

Don't blame the Naval service for your own personal discipline failings.

One treadmill onboard hardly substitutes for a gym. Plus its unusable 90% of the time unless the ship is anchored.

In fairness running 42km requires a lot more training than running 10km in a block.

Bullcrap. How did the NS members who ran cork city marathon manage so?

Bullcrap. How did the NS members who ran cork city marathon manage so?

Explain to me what's bullcrap about it? Plus, not everyone is posted to a ship you know?

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Explain to me what's bullcrap about it? Plus, not everyone is posted to a ship you know?

The people I know who ran it are, and were. They took their own fitness as their own responsibility and trained whenever they had time to spare, and not when the NS told them to. They didn't spend their spare time in the mess listening to old sweats tell tall tales.
    Your personal fitness is your own failings. Blaming the NS is bullcrap. You only lasted a year, you realised after recruit training that the branch the NS decided was best suited to your abilities was not to your grand aspirations of being the next lord nelson. That or the NS decided you weren't up to the grade and showed you the gate when you couldn't achieve your A/Sea bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Why didn't you go on Selection once you realised the NS wasn't quite your cup of tea?

Don't mean that as a confrontational type question but there's more ways to get away from the NS than just going on your ticket. I certainly can see how it would get repetitive for some people, wouldn't be my cup of tea anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

If your happy with sitting on your ass while stuffing your face with chips and burgers drenched in Aromat, the Naval Service is for you.

Nothing better than a burger and chips for lunch at sea :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Obviously you didn't read my post about not being able to use a treadmill while at sea, unless the ship is anchored. Unless your friends were/are on a peacock, which either goes along side or anchors every night. Its possible to keep some sort of fitness then.

The NS knows it can't cater for people serious about fitness. Thats why members are graded on the next level for life tests. For example, we were graded for 27 - 35 year olds, which gives you more time to do the run and less push ups/sit ups required. Its done like that for a reason... because you can't keep fit while at sea!

The 20 weeks of recruit training was absolutely pointless and irreverent to the job afterwords. One week at sea is not enough to decided if you could spend the next three years out there.

Nobody from our class was put into a branch suited to their abilities, everyone was put into Seamans. We were told that would happen about a week or two before passing out as there were no other division courses running until the class behind us passed out. Bad timing or something...

You'll only get thrown out after three years (could be five) if you don't get your AB's. Its up to the individual, all you have to do is fill in this little task book thing. Theres lads in there a long time who are still OS. Not sure why, not my business.

Anyway, this is my last post on the matter.

What do you mean? Like a transfer? Getting one is like winning the lotto, usually the comm ops would only have a chance in getting one.

Not quite true, there a people who keep super fit locked up in prison cells all day, its all about motivation.

"because you can't keep fit while at sea!"

The Royal Marines have a fitness programme for units deployed on ships. Guys who marched across the Falklands had been on ships for 6 weeks.

Why not bring some kettle bells along ?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Surely some navy personnel went on to join the ARW, and I'd imagine that takes a fairly high level of fitness...

• Advertisement

Surely some navy personnel went on to join the ARW, and I'd imagine that takes a fairly high level of fitness...

Many have.

Advertisement