Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge GP Sunday 18th

• 15-03-2012 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this?

It's the nearest decent size race to me (literally by my door), forgot it was due till I met the guys out marking up the road and handing out leaflets to houses on the route yesterday afternoon.

Who should I be cheering on? I'll most likely take a spin up to Boston Hill with my camera and try to capture some images of suffering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

nilhg wrote: »
    Who should I be cheering on?

Me. Number 30. A4. Swords jersey. Slightly guilty look on face for abandoning my wife on mothers day.

Hope half the field is hungover.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Does anybody know the route? I didn't even know that it was on. I'd love to get out to points on the route to lend my support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

Me. Number 30. A4. Swords jersey. Slightly guilty look on face for abandoning my wife on mothers day.

Hope half the field is hungover.

You make a mad dash off the front on Boston Hill and I'll shout you on...
    Does anybody know the route? I didn't even know that it was on. I'd love to get out to points on the route to lend my support.

Yeah, hard to find much info, the leaflet says racing from 12.15 to 4.00 with six laps of the route, I presume they stagger the start of the various grades?

Map is here, takes me 45 mins to get round it...

http://app.strava.com/segments/971310

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭moggs1972

Anyone doing this?

It's the nearest decent size race to me (literally by my door), forgot it was due till I met the guys out marking up the road and handing out leaflets to houses on the route yesterday afternoon.

Who should I be cheering on? I'll most likely take a spin up to Boston Hill with my camera and try to capture some images of suffering.
    cheer me on in the A4 race, ill be the one out the back cursing like a sailor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Me. Number 30. A4. Swords jersey. Slightly guilty look on face for abandoning my wife on mothers day
    Not your mother so no need for the guilt :) .But what ever you do dont quote me.

• Advertisement

Don't remind me of my mother as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

think I did this last year and met Killanerr in his camper van afterwards for a cuppa. it's failry flat but don't make a break too soon near the end if there's a breeze against you. made that mistake last year and died on last 500m. spectacular crash as well which I just avoided with a fella going over the handlebars and nearly getting hit by a car. Safe cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'd be interested in doing the A4 race but I'm not currently signed up with a club or Cycling Ireland. Pretty sure you have to be signed up to Cycling Ireland and/or a club in order to race, but just wanted to check (a long shot I know) if it's possible to do this sign-up on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'll probably do this. I was half hoping my new front derailler wouldnt be delivered so I'd have an excuse not to bother but the receptionist just handed it to me.

Whats the closest comparison around Dublin or Wicklow to Boston Hill? Is it possible to get up in the big ring (my big ring being a 50)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Whats the closest comparison around Dublin or Wicklow to Boston Hill? Is it possible to get up in the big ring (my big ring being a 50)?

Yes, but that hill won't do the damage- it'll be the drag afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Did this race as an A4 two years ago and loved it.

The hill/drag is hard enough to drop a few people and make a doomed breakaway seem plausible.

The following is on the irishcycling.com calendar for anyone who hasn't seen it:
    Leinster Sunday 18-Mar Road A1,A2,A3,A4 Newbridge G.P. Newbridge Grand Prix Sunday 18th March.
    Race HQ: Lumville House Green Road Newbridge (Exit 12 off M7 Motorway) Follow signs for Kilcullen off Roundabout , Sign On,, half Klm on Left at next cross -rds Race …… Sign on open from 9.30 am and closes at 11 .45 am Riders Note : Roll out from Race HQ 12 .05 pm to . Start -Finish @ Rathbride on the Rathangan Road …. Finish (same as last 5 years ) *** Race (1) A1&2s = 6 laps x 17 kms start time 12.30 pm . roll out 12.05 *** Race (2) A3s = 4 laps x 17 kms start time 12.33 pm . roll out 12.05 *** Race (3) A4s = 3 laps x 17 kms start time 12.35 pm . roll out 12.05 *** Refreshments / sandwiches at Lumville House . ( after all race finishes ) For further Information contact john on 087 -2453403

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

will the finish be in the same spot as last year ? just read last post , same finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Yes, finish in same place. Looks like longer races allround this year with a full lap to start with from the roll-out. Last year it was barely two laps in A4, I think.

Huge turnout on a beautiful day for the job, the steward I was chatting with said around 400 signed on in total, one group in particular (a3?) seemed to have a huge number of riders.

Got some shots from the first few laps on Boston Hill, will post some up later on tonight.

I didn't do a whole lot in the A4 race until the final hill. Drove the pace up it and 6 of us worked together to the finish. I got 4th.

I thought it was good safe racing for the most part and it was really well marshalled.

I didn't do a whole lot in the A4 race until the final hill. Drove the pace up it and 6 of us worked together to the finish. I got 4th.

Congrats on the result. I didn't make it down myself due to sleeping in.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I thought it was good safe racing for the most part and it was really well marshalled.

Yes thoroughly enjoyable race, A4 felt lot safer and less busy than last weeks in limerick. You had right approach I reckon. I'm new to this game, from what I've seen early breaks don't seem to stick in A4. Was first over line at end of first lap but impossible to get any up and over going. Paid a bit for that later.

A few pictures, plenty more uploading at the moment to flickr, just click on any of the images to get to the rest.

The first group through,

6994098701_5c7101444d_b.jpg
    Newbridge GP 2012-1 by cilldara, on Flickr

6994155553_7078605248_b.jpg
    Newbridge GP 2012-20 by cilldara, on Flickr

6848120992_752e122604_b.jpg
    Newbridge GP 2012-56 by cilldara, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

A few pictures, plenty more uploading at the moment to flickr, just click on any of the images to get to the rest.

Fantastic shots man! Makes me want to bring my camera instead of my bike to races.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

... just click on any of the images to get to the rest.
    I did. And I kept on clicking. Some really super photos in your collection. The ones at Tullamore are great. Nice work!

buffalo wrote: »
    Fantastic shots man! Makes me want to bring my camera instead of my bike to races.

Yes agreed, a great set of photos, really clear images

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Did the A4. A lot tougher than last year I thought- faster, more attempts to get away, strong finish. Was just behind the leaders, maybe 20th.

Overall I felt the peleton was well behaved. Just a few silly braking moments, including one on the last lap while going uphill!!??

A4 Garmin Stats

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/159743053

Stats from other categories ?

I am utterly without data - I don't even possess a speedometer.

It's interesting that the second half of the first lap was the fastest part of the race. I didn't realise it at the time but I was told afterwards that a fair few got shelled at that stage.

Advertisement