Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin running for President

• 20-09-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

What do you think of MMG running for the Aras? Personally I'm delighted for him, and for Derry in general. If he will win or not, only time will tell.

Politics in Derry have moved along so much in the last 20-30 years, it astounds me at times. To think that John Hume would probably win( open to debate) if he ran, says a lot for our town also. Then throw in Dana and we have three strong runners.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

'Strong runners'? Are you basing that on Derry's opinion of them or the rest of Ireland's?

Mod Note: There are general threads on the presidential race in the Politics forum, so please try and keep this one related to the candidates the OP mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

I'm basing it on the fact that Mc Guinness will be a strong candidate and will be in the mix at the end IMO. Also I'd think John Hume if he did run, which in all probability he won't, would cake walk it. Plus Dana is still trying to get on the ballot, however she did well previously in this race.

So it will be Ireland's opinion that counts and not Derry's. Maybe next time around all of Ireland will decide and indeed all Irish citizens can vote, if they wish.

So with all of that I suppose Mc Guinness is Derry's only real prospect of becoming President :D .I'm sure he will split voters down the middle, and it may prove to be ' to soon' for certain people which is fair enough. Will be good to sit back and watch thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think MMG will poll well but not enough to win it. Too many people simply can't stand him.

As for Hume. In his hayday he would have walked into the job, but unfortunately will never get the chance due to his ill health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well i can't stand him but i don't care if he gets in i will be shocked and a bit surprised but i will say that if he gets in there will be anger up here and people will lose respect for the republic for electing a former ira member.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

Look at the "vote for me I'm a celeb" candidates. Look at one that is a "close" friend and sympathiser of a convicted drug user and statutory rapist. Look at the one who is a businessman, is he in it to further his own financial ambitions. Mandella was branded a terrorist and he reunited the people of SA so why not Mc Guinness for President. He just may surprise you like Mandella surprised everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

owenc wrote: »
    Well i can't stand him but i don't care if he gets in i will be shocked and a bit surprised but i will say that if he gets in there will be anger up here and people will lose respect for the republic for electing a former ira member.

Funny that people up North will get upset if he gets elected. While he is elected their Joint First Minister since 2007. A bit hypicritcal wouldn't you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I don't think Dana has a chance to be honest. Martin McGuinness will poll well but I don't think he'll win it.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Look at the "vote for me I'm a celeb" candidates. Look at one that is a "close" friend and sympathiser of a convicted drug user and statutory rapist. Look at the one who is a businessman, is he in it to further his own financial ambitions. Mandella was branded a terrorist and he reunited the people of SA so why not Mc Guinness for President. He just may surprise you like Mandella surprised everyone

I don't think so.

Funny that people up North will get upset if he gets elected. While he is elected their Joint First Minister since 2007. A bit hypicritcal wouldn't you say.

Erm we can't control who the first minister is? Sinn fien just put him up that wasn't us it was Sinn fien. And hes deputy first minister not first minister. Anyway this is different i'd like to think. You won't like my opinion anyway.

I think he'd poll well but not enough to win. Much like Marmite you either love him or hate him and I suspect there'll be more of a turn toward other candidates just so he won't win rather than a turn towards him so he will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wouldn't be the first Irish president who was a member of the IRA. And it would be hugely hypocritical to do that when he holds the highest position in the northern Assembly along with Robinson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

And hes deputy first minister not first minister.

The roles are the exact same. Just so you know.

Stay on topic please. The workings of the NI political system isn't part of it.

Advertisement