Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

timing chain on astra

• 08-04-2011 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi,
    Considering buying opel astra 07 sxi 1.4, they are chain driven but when should they be replaced/tightened? I hear lots of threads saying when ever they rattle or lose tension but need some more concrete answers.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Afaik timing chains only need replacing when they're causing trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

My knowledge of this is that generally a timing chain will be pretty good for up to about 200,000 miles, after that it should be inspected by a mechanic to verify it's tension and check for signs of excessive wear. Best to just check with your mechanic though, they'll give you the correct intervals for your particular car.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Sorry for hi jacking ur post op, i've an 08 Astra OPC and it's done 86k, does it too uses a timing chain? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

napapa wrote: »
    Hi,
    Considering buying opel astra 07 sxi 1.4, they are chain driven but when should they be replaced/tightened? I hear lots of threads saying when ever they rattle or lose tension but need some more concrete answers.
    Cheers

Chain tensioners operate on oil pressure. There is no periodic check/adjustment required. Issues can arise with tensioners if the wrong oil is used or the car has very high mileage but unless the chain is excessivly noisy then it doesn't need attention.

@rob180. The OPC astra uses a belt and its due @120,000kms or 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pateen

sorry for stirring up the thread again, but would anyone know what is the best oil to use in a 1.4 06 astra? and how often to change it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

pateen wrote: »
    sorry for stirring up the thread again, but would anyone know what is the best oil to use in a 1.4 06 astra? and how often to change it?

A fully synthetic 5w30 is best in those and the oil should be changed every 15,000kms at most.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

The correct service interval is 30,000km or 1 year.

Advertisement