Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

King Tutankamun exhibition Rds Dublin

• 05-01-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question - but can anyone confirm does this display contain any original items or are they all replicas ?

http://www.kingtutdublin.ie/home/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

All replicas to the best of my knowledge. There is another exhibition on the road over the last couple of years that has real artifacts. That being said,the best place to see the best stuff is Cairo as the Egyptian Authorities won't allow the likes of the Golden Mask,Sarcophagi,Chariots to travel.

Still sounds like an interesting exhibition though. The real tomb in the VOK's is quite non-descript without it's treasures,only the single coffin holding the Pharaoh in the burial chamber alludes to it's previous magnificence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

lord lucan wrote: »
    All replicas to the best of my knowledge. There is another exhibition on the road over the last couple of years that has real artifacts.

Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I am wondering. I believe I have seen one very similair to this at the O2 in London about 3 or 4 yrs ago. I don't know if this is the exact same one as this as at that time I believe those were original or at least partly original items. If they (the o2 London) ones were also replicas it certainly was not mentioned anywhere in the publicity (that I can recall anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was considering this for a while but €18 a ticket (I wont be able to go Mon-Fri) seems quite steep for looking at a bunch of replicas

I agree €18 is too high to view replicas.

I found the info on the one from London a few years ago :

http://www.theo2.co.uk/general/tutankhamun-and-the-golden-age-of-the-pharaohs.html

Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs
    March 12, 2007

Marking the first time the treasures of Tutankhamun have visited London in over 30 years, an extensive exhibition of more than 130 artifacts from the tomb of the celebrated Pharaoh and other Valley of the Kings ancestors visits London on 15 November 2007. London is the only European city to host the treasures.

Featured treasures in the exhibit, which are all between 3,300 and 3,500 years old, include Tutankhamun's royal diadem - the gold crown discovered encircling the head of the king's mummified body that he likely wore while living - and one of the gold and precious stone inlaid coffinettes that contained his mummified internal organs. Don’t miss the most highly anticipated exhibition in London history in Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs. Presented by Credit Suisse

For pre-registration information, visit www.kingtut.org.

That
    one - which had original artifacts is currently in the US and heading ot Australia next year :

http://www.kingtut.org/home

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Morlar wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I am wondering. I believe I have seen one very similair to this at the O2 in London about 3 or 4 yrs ago. I don't know if this is the exact same one as this as at that time I believe those were original or at least partly original items. If they (the o2 London) ones were also replicas it certainly was not mentioned anywhere in the publicity (that I can recall anyway).

That was this one: http://www.kingtut.org/home,it was in London around late '07/early '08 iirc. That had artifacts(albeit small ones) from his tomb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 condorknock

Here's the info from the website...

THE PHARAOH IS COMING...TO DUBLIN
    TUTANKHAMUN – HIS TOMB AND HIS TREASURES

A major exhibition of the international archaeological sensation, featuring a spectacular reconstruction of the Pharaoh’s tomb and treasures

RDS INDUSTRIES HALL, from 17 February for a limited run
    Tickets on sale Now

Coming to Ireland is an enchanting exhibition that allows visitors to experience ‘first hand’ the moment archaeologist Howard Carter entered the treasure-laden burial chambers of Egypt’s most famous Pharaoh, Tutankhamun.

‘Tutankhamun – His Tomb and His Treasures’ carries visitors on a captivating journey through time into the lost wonders of ancient Egypt and reveals the epic story of the discovery of the forgotten tomb of the ‘Boy King’ who died under mysterious circumstances aged only 19.

With the assistance of leading Egyptologists and using sketches and diary notes made by Howard Carter and original photographs taken by exploration photographer Harry Burton, three burial chambers and an extensive collection of the most important treasures of Tutankhamun have been authentically recreated.

For the first time, Irish audiences will have the opportunity to look through Carter’s eyes and experience the amazing moment of discovery for themselves.

Over 2,500 square metres of exhibition space and state-of-the-art multimedia technology will bring to life the story of Tutankhamun and the fascinating cultural and spiritual world of ancient Egypt; its funerary cults, gods and mysterious hieroglyphic script.

Replicas of 1,000 burial artefacts, intended to equip the young Pharaoh on his journey to the afterlife, have been painstakingly reproduced to scale by expert Egyptian craftsmen and can be viewed in the recreated burial chambers and in an extensive and detailed display.

These include jewellery, cult objects, amulets, coffers, chests, chairs, weapons, a stunning golden chariot, large golden shrines and the iconic death mask; a rare and beautiful sight not seen in the UK since the original mask was displayed at the British Museum in 1972.

‘Tutankhamun – His Tomb and His Treasures’ has already delighted over 1,700,000 visitors across Europe and will open on the 17 February at Dublin’s RDS in the Industries Hall. The RDS is located on Merrion Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.

Ticket Information: Adult Tickets from €16 online at www.ticketmaster.ie and the venue Box Office at the RDS from 10am to 7pm daily. Tickets on sale Now.

Check www.kingtutdublin.ie for opening times, group bookings and discounts for children and school groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Funny enough, the Eygptians don't push the buttons for me. Don't know why, but they just don't, even though it probably was the most amazing civilisation when most of the rest of the world was sleeping in caves etc

Funny enough, the Eygptians don't push the buttons for me. Don't know why, but they just don't, even though it probably was the most amazing civilisation when most of the rest of the world was sleeping in caves etc

I think if you saw the bust of Nefertiti in Berlin you might change your mind !

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sammie36

Just went to this exhibition over the weekend. Mind blowing rip off.Basically you get an audio tour pack with earphones, two five minute films, some background info on walls and then replicas of the treasures in a very small space. Really not suitable for young children as they just got completely bored (5 and 8 year old) very quickly. The gift shop is such a rip off it is actually shocking! All you could hear were people picking up things and calling their mates or partners over to show them the price! Seriously that bad. I ended up feeling that I just paid to be mugged...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I'm the same. It's ironic when one considers that contemporary peoples were frequently mesmerised by Egyptian culture. I think it's partly because the public generally know so little about the Egyptians. There's a wealth of easily accessible and fascinating info on the Greeks and Romans. That's not quite the case with the Egyptians. I just ordered The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt to remedy my ignorance. Hopefully it'll inspire as great fascination with that country as that I have for Greece and Rome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement