Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady Cutting My Hair Asked Me Where I Was From....

• 01-05-2012 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I'm a US citizen. I live and work in Dublin (and have for the last 6 months or so). When I'm out, people tend to ask me, 'Where are you from?' when they hear my accent. The thing is, I'm not a tourist, I came *from* my apartment, in Dublin, to get my hair cut.

But when I say I'm from Dublin - people seem to get pissed off at me. Am I wrong? What should I say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

How about, "I'm originally from the States but I'm now living in Dublin"?

For fuck's sake. Where's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

You're from the US then.
    How is that confusing for you?
    Where you're from and where you're living are two different things y'know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Say you're from your Ma's gee :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Kill them all, that'll learn'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

People throwing bread out their windows, housemates using too much toilet paper and now this. The country is fu*ked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

You have an American accent.

When people ask you where you're from, they mean which country, or more specifically, which state, as you're clearly not from Dublin.

You clearly know what they mean.

Congratulations, you've trolled this lady who was trying to make conversation with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

El Weirdo wrote: »
    How about, "I'm originally from the States but I'm now living in Dublin"?

For fuck's sake. Where's the problem?

This.

But leave the out the "For fuck's sake. Where's the problem?" bit if you want a good cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Robdude wrote: »
    I'm a US citizen. I live and work in Dublin (and have for the last 6 months or so). When I'm out, people tend to ask me, 'Where are you from?' when they hear my accent. The thing is, I'm not a tourist, I came *from* my apartment, in Dublin, to get my hair cut.

But when I say I'm from Dublin - people seem to get pissed off at me. Am I wrong? What should I say?

Why dont you get a Dublin accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

At least you're not originally from Dublin and still always hear 'no like where were you born?!', people never accept Im not polish and i really couldn't look more Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

This is one of the reasons we find many Americans extremely annoying.

• Advertisement

branbee wrote: »
    At least you're not originally from Dublin and still always hear 'no like where were you born?!', people never accept Im not polish and i really couldn't look more Irish!

You'e obviously good looking with a killer body. It could be worse ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Oh you Americanos with your fancy ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Wouldn't it be worse if she told you to piss off back where u came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

You'e obviously good looking with a killer body. It could be worse ...........

Oh how i wish that were true! Perhaps its coz i eat swan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Eathrin wrote: »
    You're from the US then.
    How is that confusing for you?
    Where you're from and where you're living are two different things y'know.

If someone is born in Galway and moves to Dublin when they are 5 - how long does it take before they'd say they are 'From Dublin'?

Or does it only matter where you are born?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

This is one of the reasons we find many Americans extremely annoying.

Speak for yourself.. I love the Americans.. they both created and vehemently defend the way of life we in the west all know and love

poppyvally wrote: »
    Why dont you get a Dublin accent?
    But, for the love of god, don't use stereotypes like "Top of the morning to ye"...!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Lmao! Brilliant!

If someone is born in Galway and moves to Dublin when they are 5 - how long does it take before they'd say they are 'From Dublin'?

Did you live until you were an adult in America?

If so, then you are from America, originally, but now live in Dublin. Doesn't matter what a five year old would answer to the question, she wasn't asking a five year old, she was asking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,045 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Advertisement

Speak for yourself.. I love the Americans.. they both created and vehemently defend the way of life we in the west all know and love
    3p2ew8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,140 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My french teacher asked me once where I was from. I said Seattle. He said "So you come to class from Seattle every day durhuhruhruhur"

It's a retarded question with no winner. Stop asking.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Did you live until you were an adult in America?

If so, then you are from America, originally, but now live in Dublin. Doesn't matter what a five year old would answer to the question, she wasn't asking a five year old, she was asking you.

He's here 6 months :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Man..."where are you from" and "where are you coming from" mean two different things. Where's the confusion? You've been here 6 months. You're not from Dublin.

But to answer your question, my dad moved from Cavan to Dublin when he was 9 and he still says he's from Cavan. "I'm from Cavan but was raised in Dublin for the most part" would be his answer.

He's here 6 months :rolleyes:
    That's great. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,346 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Just say
    ' i come from a land down under'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

firstly, you lot have scared the OP so much, he gone and closed the account lol!

Secondly,

Ok, so your not Mr Sheen, are you Mr Muscle perhaps?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

I guess some folks are just sensitive. Hell, I've been in country since 97. I'm still "The Yank."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,045 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ghandee wrote: »
    firstly, you lot have scared the OP so much, he gone and closed the account lol!

It's a good job they didn't start a thread about something less trivial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

you work in dublin you are not from dublin, typical american lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement