Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron keeps tripping fuse box

• 16-05-2005 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭

I live in a newish house with the more modern fuse box where the trip switch is activated before any fuse in blown. The problem I have is that the last few Irons I've had get to the point where every time I plug them in the power trips. I then have to buy a new Iron, I've tried replacing the fuse in the plug on the iron, it makes no difference.

Can anybody tell me why this happens and what to do about it, I read somewhere that there may be an earthing problem with the electricity in my house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Are you plugging the irons into the same socket, or even the same socket circuit every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭jhegarty

prospect wrote:
    Are you plugging the irons into the same socket, or even the same socket circuit every time?

also what else is plugged into the same circuit... any extension plugboxes ?

does a new iron solve the problem?

does another device in the same plug cause a problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Either you have an issue with earth leakage somewhere on the circuit or else the circuit which it is on is overloaded & the load from the iron (which is quite high) is causing an overcurrent on the breaker.
    Is it an MCB or an ELCB that's tripping?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭masterK

To answer your questions.

1. I have tried the Iron in several sockets in the same room, but not any other room.
    2. I've bought several new Irons, they last for a while and then the same thing happens again and I have to replace the Iron.
    3. I have nothing else connected to the sockets when the problem occurs.
    4. I'm not sure if it's an MCB or an ELCB, how can I tell?

Even If I have an Iron up at it's highest level I presume that this should not occur or is it a fairly common issue?

Thanks for your help.

Well to answer your questions:
    1. The sockets in the same room are possibly (more than likely) on the same main ring so it would be a good idea to try elsewhere.
    2. You're probably wasting your money buying new irons, its unlikely that its the iron thats the problem every time!
    3. Its possible that there are sockets in another room or another large device on the same ring.
    4. Have a look at the attached photo.
    There is only one elcb there (second from the right) the rest are mcbs.
    Basically mcbs trip on over current (too high a load) while elcbs trip if there is leakage of current to earth (i.e. when you drop the hair dryer in the bath :D )

Its not a problem that should occur regardless of the setting on your iron.

I would suggest that you would do the following:
    1. Try the iron in a few different locations until you find somewhere that it works without a problem.
    2. Once you've established that the iron itself is working ok, bring it back into the kitchen & plug it in.
    Switch off everything else electrical in the house and swtich on the iron.
    Switch back on your other equipment one item at a time & this may help to identify a particular item that is a high load.

At the end of the day though you'd be best off to get an electrican in to sort it out. Its probably just a circuit with too much on it.
    It may be a simple job of installing higher rated mcb if the wiring is sufficient.
    Don't go poking around too much yourself if you don't feel competent at it.
    Risk of serious injury / death & all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Good advise to track the problem down but it's probably just a simple as a faulty iron. An electric kettle or a wash machine generally take more power than a iron. Seeing as these are mostlikely in the kitchen too it's probably the iron. Of course there is a the posibility that all three are on at the same time as. If a washing machine and kettle can be on at the same time the problem can pretty much say the Iron is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If a washing machine and kettle can be on at the same time the problem can pretty much say the Iron is faulty.

Did he not say that he has bought several Irons? Surely they all can't be faulty?

B.

As BaZmO says (& as I hinted above) its highly unlikely that its multiple irons with problems. Much more likely that there's an inherent problem with the electrical installation in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sounds to me like the MCB isn't suitable.
    The kitchen and utility were probably put on the same circuit. So there could be a few high power apps, (washer / dryer / oven), and the usual suspects, (fridge / freezer / TV).
    But 'air' has the proper idea with his/her post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭jhegarty

masterK wrote:
    To answer your questions.

1. I have tried the Iron in several sockets in the same room, but not any other room.
    2. I've bought several new Irons, they last for a while and then the same thing happens again and I have to replace the Iron.
    3. I have nothing else connected to the sockets when the problem occurs.
    4. I'm not sure if it's an MCB or an ELCB, how can I tell?

Even If I have an Iron up at it's highest level I presume that this should not occur or is it a fairly common issue?

Thanks for your help.

first thing is to try a plug on a different socket... if you are not sure which plugs are on which circuits, flip the fuse for that room and check you have power on the socket you want to check on...

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Did he not say that he has bought several Irons? Surely they all can't be faulty?

B.
    opps missed that
    but I checked it washing machine easily takes more current than a iron and a kettle is about the same. It sounds like they could be doing some thing to the iron. The socket in the kitchen might be the cause because of position. If the plug lead is under pressure when plugged in the high current can damage to the lead, this takes a little while so it might explain the delay. It would also explain why it's the iron causing the problem and nothing else.

In response to an earlier question, it is neither a MCB or an ELCB. It's a RCCB (residual current circuit breakers).

Morning star your explanation makes a lot of sense, it takes a few months for this to happen with a new Iron. It would usually always have been used from the same socket. The iron itself no longer works after this happens.

Is there anything I can do myself to check the socket in question or should I just get an electrician?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

masterK wrote:
    Always turn on an appliance at a low level, leave them get up to power (in the case of an iron when its hot), then increase it to the maximum.
    masterK wrote:
    Morning star your explanation makes a lot of sense, it takes a few months for this to happen with a new Iron. It would usually always have been used from the same socket. The iron itself no longer works after this happens.
    Are you blowing the fuse in the plug attached to the iron?

An RCCB performs the same function as an ELCB to the best of my knowledge, its just the way that they sense earth leakage that differs.
    AFAIK an RCCB trips if there is an imbalance between the current on the live and the neutral (current missing, must have gone somewhere - to earth), whereas an elcb detects current flowing on the earth itself.

Anyway if you're tripping the rccb you have an earth fault either on the circuit or in the iron and if a new iron doesnt cure it call in an electrician.

With respect to turning on applicances at the low setting, there is no need to do this as mcbs are rated for short term startup current to deal with this - usually a B or C rating in domestic installations (type B: 3-5 times rated current, type C: 5-10 times rated).
    This means that if you start up something with a large inrush current (like an applicance with a large motor) it will tolerate an overcurrent situation for a short time to allow the device to start up and the current to stabilise instead of tripping out.

Just a thought, do you do anything unusual with your iron that could cause water to get into it?
    If you're not particularly careful when filling it up, perhaps water is leaking into its innards over the few months which your irons are lasting & causing an earth fault within the appliance.
    This is the most likely scenario I can come up with based on the limited information to hand.

I don't think we're doing any unusual with the iron. We've been through several in the last couple of years. I don't think any water would be getting into the actual Iron itself. I might just get an electrician to have a look at it just in case.

Thanks a lot for all your help

masterK wrote:
    In response to an earlier question, it is neither a MCB or an ELCB. It's a RCCB (residual current circuit breakers).

Is there anything I can do myself to check the socket in question or should I just get an electrician?

My theory is that it isn't actually an electric problem but the position of the socket. When you plug in the iron is the lead pushed against a counter below the socket? It could be also where the ironing board is positioned if the lead is streched when you are ironing you could slowly be breaking the cable. The trip switch would probably go before the fuse at the socket level would.
    If the irons are breaking you can be pretty sure it isn't your electrics but what you are doing with the iron. If the washing machine doesn't trip you can be sure that your electrics can handle the load.

My theory is that it isn't actually an electric problem but the position of the socket. When you plug in the iron is the lead pushed against a counter below the socket? It could be also where the ironing board is positioned if the lead is streched when you are ironing you could slowly be breaking the cable. The trip switch would probably go before the fuse at the socket level would.
    If the irons are breaking you can be pretty sure it isn't your electrics but what you are doing with the iron. If the washing machine doesn't trip you can be sure that your electrics can handle the load.

The socket used is on an open wall, there are no counters near it. The lead of the iron is not stretched at all. Since we have always used the same socket for the iron it could well just be a problem with that particular socket.

masterK wrote:
    The socket used is on an open wall, there are no counters near it. The lead of the iron is not stretched at all. Since we have always used the same socket for the iron it could well just be a problem with that particular socket.

Well that more or less shuts my theory down but who does the ironing? My mother has an amazing ability to break things if their is any electronic parts in it. :D She never uses them incorrectly of course for that you need to read the manual :rolleyes:
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dconwho

I had the same problem and I seem to have isolated my problem. It seemed to occur when the water resevir was too full and I put the iron on its end. The water seemed to leak into the iron thus tripping the fuse. I now have an ironing board that you sit the iron on its plate and it seems to have resolved the issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mcgraw1974

This was really helpful I have same prob went threw 6 irons in 1 yr using diff sockets changing fuses buying expensive and cheap irons same prob with them all can happen when I have several appliances going or 1st thing in the morning wen I've nothing at all on :/ I do notice it seems to be when the iron has been filled all on full steam really puzzled as I've had a new trip switch fitted to meet latest regulations but it's still happening ... I'll give some of ur ideas a go thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Best to start a new thread. You mention changing fuses, so I assume you've an old style fuse board, can you confirm this? Sounds like your over loading the circuit and blowing the fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭maxamillius

i am an electrician get a new iron that is your problem,the element has broken down and is leaking to earth,dont need to be going near sockets or fuse boards just get a new iron!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mcgraw1974 wrote: »
    This was really helpful I have same prob went threw 6 irons in 1 yr using diff sockets changing fuses buying expensive and cheap irons same prob with them all can happen when I have several appliances going or 1st thing in the morning wen I've nothing at all on :/ I do notice it seems to be when the iron has been filled all on full steam really puzzled as I've had a new trip switch fitted to meet latest regulations but it's still happening ... I'll give some of ur ideas a go thanx
    i am an electrician get a new iron that is your problem,the element has broken down and is leaking to earth,dont need to be going near sockets or fuse boards just get a new iron!
    maxamillius, as with the original poster, the problem is not with the iron. Both posters have went through numerous irons and still had the same problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread moved from DIY to electrical

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

OP, a few questions:
    1) Have a look at your board. Is it the RCD that looks like one of these that trips (this unit has a test button):
    H5.1.3_rcd.jpg

or is it the MCB that looks like this:
    Schrack-MCB.jpg

2) What rating is the MCB, this should be written on it? Normally a house would be a 20B or 16B. Your MCB may be too small for a large load like that from an iron.

3) Have you tried plugging the iron into someone else's house? If not please try and report back

RCDs normally trip irons if a part that should be kept dry becomes wet. MCBs are designed to trip if they see an overload condition or short circuit.

Hope this helps

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This problem is not related to the plug fuse. Not lightly to be an earthing issue either.

Advertisement