Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin bay visability

• 01-05-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

A question from a novice diver but is there ever good viz in Dublin bay and where is the nearest place to dublin you can get it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

moonfish wrote: »
    A question from a novice diver but is there ever good viz in Dublin bay and where is the nearest place to dublin you can get it

are you with a club -- if not you should try join one
    are you based dublin north or south

i dive with club in north dublin -- if you want to PM me i can give you details
    we dive howth - irelands eye, lambay , kish
    yesterday vis was bad -- like swimming in milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paul o

Vis today was in the varied from 0.5m to 2m off Muglins and water was 9degs

Excellent vis can be found DEEP (>50m) off Malin Head in Donegal, great for wrecks. You will see pics where the vis is in the region of 30 - 40meters. 4 hours from Dublin
    Audacious%252B1.JPG&w=775&h=519&ei=fb6uT8z4K9CzhAfu9PTwCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=414&vpy=194&dur=1185&hovh=184&hovw=274&tx=131&ty=129&sig=114539716329599387508&page=2&tbnh=137&tbnw=187&start=22&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:22,i:135
    Good vis can be found regularly off Cork Harbour (3 hours from Dublin) and also off Hook Head (2 hrs 45 from Dublin). Weather can be a bit more variable but the West Coast, Galway, Clare etc can offer great vis as well. Killary Fjord is usually sheltered all year, vis can be >30m at times and is 3.5 hours from Dublin

Generally the deeper you go the better the vis as the sediment is less disturbed and you can get below the plankton growth layers.

If you get a few days of settled weather then the vis in Dublin can reach 10 -15m

Clubs are a good way of diving relatively cheaply if you are doing it regularly and they often plan trips all around the country depending on how active they are. Membership is around the €500 mark for a year but vaies between clubs. There are a few PADI dive centres dotted around the coast but this can be a very expensive model if you are diving alot, expect to pay around €40 a dive

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 coreyd

Ocean Life in Kilkee 2.5 hours from dublin PADI centre 20 euro a boat dive and free air fills.You wont get a better deal,plenty of different dive sites to cater for all divers and grear viz

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

40euros a dive! ive never heard of anyone being charged that ive been charged 35 for 1 but that is turned into 60 if ya do the 2 dives. if your paying 40 you are being seriously ripped off. the usual rate is 30 quid. ive been to oceanlife also and got 2 for 40 with air and led if needed.they are unusually cheap thou. 30 is definitely the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

coreyd wrote: »
    Ocean Life in Kilkee 2.5 hours from dublin PADI centre 20 euro a boat dive and free air fills.You wont get a better deal,plenty of different dive sites to cater for all divers and grear viz

2.5 hours? How many points you got on your licence?

• Advertisement

why would i have points for doing kilkee in 2.5 hours,its easly done!

Dublin to Ennis = 234 km
    At 120km/h that's 1hr 57 minutes (and even that's breaking the limit for a chunk of the Limerick to Ennis section, cos some of it is 100km/h.)

Ennis to Killkee is a further 56km, which would take 56 minutes IF you could do it all at exactly the speed limit and IF the limit was 100km/h all the way (which it's not).

It's impossible to do Dublin to Kilkee in 2.5 hours without breaking the speed limit.

Dublin to Ennis = 234 km
    At 120km/h that's 1hr 57 minutes (and even that's breaking the limit for a chunk of the Limerick to Ennis section, cos some of it is 100km/h.)

Ennis to Killkee is a further 56km, which would take 56 minutes IF you could do it all at exactly the speed limit and IF the limit was 100km/h all the way (which it's not).

It's impossible to do Dublin to Kilkee in 2.5 hours without breaking the speed limit.
    Please go away little boy you should be in bed for school tmthen you can play in the yard with your little pals!

Please go away little boy you should be in bed for school tmthen you can play in the yard with your little pals!

Well, it's certain that somebody in this conversation is immature and could do with growing up a bit, but I'm not altogether sure that it's me!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

€20 a dive is very good I must say, I was surprised to find that when booking my summer break away last night to Gran Canaria that the diving cost just as much as there as it does here, around €30 - €40 a dive, obviously there is packages, and that price includes equipment, but still its expensive, but surprised about Kilkee, never been but will be sure to pay a visit now. Any wreck dives down there???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Banned - no hope of parole.... If you can't play with others ....

Also just a note here lads... no more off topic posts. The OP would like to know about the vis in Dublin bay.

On topic my experiences of about 10 dives in Dublin was that the usual was 2-4m vis.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Best I have experienced has been 6m at best... mostly diving around the Muglins, the Kish and Sandy Cove. Like the general flow of this thread, best vis is on the west coast.
    YourName wrote: »
    Any wreck dives down there???

No wrecks in Kilkee unfortunately. It's a very exposed area of coastline which has really carved out the dramatic dive sites which make it a pretty spectacular area. If you have the opportunity try to get a dive at Donegal Point & Middle Rock. Two of my favourite sites there.

Peace wrote: »
    ... no more off topic posts. The OP would like to know about the vis in Dublin bay...

Respectfully, the OP also asked:
    ...where is the nearest place to dublin you can get it

Therefore discussion of how long it takes to get to various other locations is on-topic.

Respectfully, the OP also asked:

Therefore discussion of how long it takes to get to various other locations is on-topic.

Reccomending other locations is fine.

Getting into pety arguments on the board about distances and speeding is deemed off topic. Any further discussion of this nature will get people banned.

fozz10 wrote: »
    40euros a dive! ive never heard of anyone being charged

http://www.oceandivers.ie/prices.html

Oceandivers charge €35 to go to Dalkey region and €45 to go to any of their wrecks, even the Guide Me 2 which is only a mile further than the Muglins. This is €4 cheaper than last year but still a lot of money for the standard of Dublin Bay diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Before everyone starts comparing prices make sure you are comparing like with like... eg. Oceanlife charge 20 euro for dive and fill but you need your own gear. They used to charge (don't have up to date info) 40 euro a dive including equipment rental....

loctite wrote: »
    Before everyone starts comparing prices make sure you are comparing like with like... eg. Oceanlife charge 20 euro for dive and fill but you need your own gear. They used to charge (don't have up to date info) 40 euro a dive including equipment rental....

The prices I quoted were for a dive only, no fills, no rentals, nothing other than a space on a rib

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭moonfish

basically what i was asking is there anywhere on the east coast within travelling distance of dublin that offers reasonable viz having moved here from else where myself..ive had about my tenth dive in dublin bay today and to be quiet honest its putting me off diving you just cant see anything im willing to travel maybe an hour to hour and a half to get somewhere half decent.

Hi Moonfish

As per my 1st reply there is nothing of note on the East Coast. Best bets are the South, North and West Coasts, all in the region of 2 -3 hours drive away but worth the trip IMO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Hi there

I'm in North Wexford, about an hour from Dun Laoghaire and an hour from Hook Head too. I went to DL a couple of times when I first began diving a few years ago, and know exactly what you mean about the vis there putting you off, because I quickly thought 'never again'. I strongly recommend Hook Head as maybe your best bet - generally 8 to 10 metres even on shallow shore dives - and probably about two hours drive from South Dublin anyway, rather than two and a half.

Though I hope I don't get into trouble for estimating driving times....! :)

Duffryman wrote: »

Though I hope I don't get into trouble for estimating driving times....! :)

What got the other poster in trouble was partially the unreasonable estimate he gave, but even more importantly the immature smartar5e answer he gave when proven wrong. I'd say you'll be allright!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭moonfish

did you stick at the diving duffryman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Yup. Joined the Hook club as a PADI crossover diver this year (and I'm not getting into all the pros and cons about that process either, because I know it can be a hot potato here sometimes too!). Out for at least one dive almost every weekend now, which is a lot better than it used to be, when I was lucky to get out once a month.

Advertisement