Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microlite

• 28-08-2006 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Starting the pill.. I ant remember if u start the first day of period or last??? Today is my first day..??? Any one on Microlite

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Read the booklet that comes with the pill. If you didn't get one, go back to the chemist and ask for one.

AFAIK with microlite, you take it on the the first day of your period. (I am open to correction on this one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I'm on Microlite. Take it the first day of your period. If you didn't take it yesterday, start today and use extra precautions for the next 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks a mill.. started today.... have u noticed anyside affects.. I gained 1 WHOLE stone last time I went on the pill. My diet hadnt changed (I keep a food diary .. and an honest one.lol) Im kinda wary noow

Hi Op - i have to say ive been on microlite for nearly 2 years and ive found it great. i was on Yasmin before that and had no end of probs with mood swings and weight gain (i gained nearly 1.5 stone). i havent had any of these problems with Microlite - best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you are unhappy with the side effects of your contraceptions take the time to see what other options are advailible to you and talk to your dr about them.

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/index.html
    http://thinkcontraception.ie/

• Advertisement

Been on it about 3 years now and because the dose is so low I've had no side effects at all. It's great. Previous pills turned me a bit loony/had breasts the size of award-winning melons and caused no ends of problems. Microlite is fabulous. Because the dose is so low however there is no room for error so be vigilant about taking it. Good luck. ;)

Thanks so much.. I was terrified beacause of the last few I was on and the effects.. No joke I was a LUNATIC... Cryin, sweatin, laughin, howling again.. And sure ye know what its like then when ur like that AND havin a fat day but u really are FAT... lol.. fingers crossed and thanks again ladies.. and gent ..

Appreciated

at the start when i start taking microlite i got alot of irregular bleeding but it's stopped now, i have tender breasts sometimes but my mood swings have all stopped,, i'm only on my second packet and i'm just wondering is getting used to it so suddenly normal??? i'm starting to get paranoid wether its even working!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jen08

I always take my microlite pill some time between 7 and 9. But the other day I didn't take it til 1 o'clock. Is that really bad? Does it really have to be the exact same time everyday?
    Or is between 7 and 9 or even 1 o'clock an ok time-frame?

I'll repeat what I said earlier - read the booklet that comes with the pill.

Microlite should be taken at approximately the same time every day. However, if you don't take at the normal time, then you have a 12 hour window to take it. If you don't take it inside those 12 hours then one of the following happens:
    1. Take the pill anyway and use protection for the next 7 days
    2. If that next 7 days includes some of the days when you don't have to take the pill, then run two packs back to back, and use protection for 7 days.

I am open to correction if I haven't recalled this correctly.

• Advertisement

Spot on Dudara. As you said though, you should read the leaflet inside out before taking any medication. You can't afford to be careless with any of the contraceptives out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I know this isn't the medical thread but quick question. I've just started Microlite in the last 2 months and around the same time I've had an outbreak of spots on my chest and uneven skin on my face. The skin on my face doesn't feel smooth as it used to, it's all uneven now. This happened to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jen08

Well, I've only been on it for a month but my skin has actually improved a little bit. But maybe that'll change...

I have another question which I'd loved to have answered quickly, if possible.
    I took a pill on the first day of my seven pill-free days (yesterday) and I haven't taken one today so far because I want to start my pill-free period now. Will that mess up the cycle or is it ok?

Read the leaflet. If memory serves me right this will mess up your cycle. By taking a pill in your pill-free week you will trick your body into thinking that you are running into another pack. If you want full protection you will have to continue with this pack and skip a period now until your next 7-day break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pinkymc08

hi im kinda worried here... i was on hols for 5 days last week on the1st two days i took my pills but on the 3rd i misplaced the packet so when i came home the fri i took my recent late pills and continued to take rest as normal but i had bleeding foe a day or two when i came home. i know your supposed to follow the 7 day rule. i was into the 5th day of the 7 day rule when me and my boyfriend had sex WITHOUT using extra protection im really worried bout getting pregant i've been on mircolite for two years now. do you think i should go to doctors to get the morning after pill to be on the safe side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭rescue26

Unregy wrote: »
    Thanks so much.. I was terrified beacause of the last few I was on and the effects.. No joke I was a LUNATIC... Cryin, sweatin, laughin, howling again.. And sure ye know what its like then when ur like that AND havin a fat day but u really are FAT... lol.. fingers crossed and thanks again ladies.. and gent ..

Appreciated
    Hey Im on Microlite for years now and was prone to the odd mood swing, crying etc etc, ha ha until I started taking Evening Primrose Tablets. When I started taking them for a while, I didnt think they were working so came off them. Not a good idea. They were working, I just didnt notice till I came back off them. Much happier now and dont even notice when its TOM.:D

pinkymc08 wrote: »
    hi im kinda worried here... i was on hols for 5 days last week on the1st two days i took my pills but on the 3rd i misplaced the packet so when i came home the fri i took my recent late pills and continued to take rest as normal but i had bleeding foe a day or two when i came home. i know your supposed to follow the 7 day rule. i was into the 5th day of the 7 day rule when me and my boyfriend had sex WITHOUT using extra protection im really worried bout getting pregant i've been on mircolite for two years now. do you think i should go to doctors to get the morning after pill to be on the safe side

1850 49 50 51 the IFPA National Pregnancy Helpline.

Ring and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

Unregy wrote: »
    thanks a mill.. started today.... have u noticed anyside affects.. I gained 1 WHOLE stone last time I went on the pill. My diet hadnt changed (I keep a food diary .. and an honest one.lol) Im kinda wary noow
    Your diet must have changed, weight doesn't come out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

madser wrote: »
    Your diet must have changed, weight doesn't come out of nowhere.

Though an assocation hasn't yet been confirmed scientifically, the oestrogen analogues in birth control pills have been reported to cause fluid retention and increased fat deposition in many women. Hence why lower dose pills like Microlite have been developed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

genegenie wrote: »
    Though an assocation hasn't yet been confirmed scientifically, the oestrogen analogues in birth control pills have been reported to cause fluid retention and increased fat deposition in many women. Hence why lower dose pills like Microlite have been developed.

Fluid retension can't be over a stone, I just think people like to blame anything but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Meathlass wrote: »
    I know this isn't the medical thread but quick question. I've just started Microlite in the last 2 months and around the same time I've had an outbreak of spots on my chest and uneven skin on my face. The skin on my face doesn't feel smooth as it used to, it's all uneven now. This happened to anyone else?

In my own experience, I found that certain pills can cause havoc for your skin. Ovranette for example made me break out very often which is unusual for me. I switched to Yasmin and everything was perfect again. Ovranette also made me feel like I had extra weight around my hips and all. Now that I'm back on Yasmin I feel back to my old self. :) So certain pills will disagree with certain users. If you find you're breaking out too often, go to your GP. I did, switched pills and it's all fine now. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭swatki

ive just started micolite recently and ive had no problems except for now, i got a yeast infection that is worse than i ever had, i read something that said that the pill can cause you to get yeast infections easier and also i heard that they are harder to get rid of when your takin the pill, has anybody else had a problem with this?

I am on Microlite for 10 years and not once had a problem
    Watch your diet, Excercise well and keep the vagina area clean
    Drink plenty of water and some crandberry juice
    I recommend you wash daily with Canesten Care wash, espically for vagina area for women.
    Take Microlite same time everyday, take extra precautions if you skip a pill, or taken antibiotics.
    Talk to your doctor if you are a smoker,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

do not trust microlite, i was on microlite, and now me and my boyfriend are expecting our first baby in july, we're both excited and are lucky both our family's are supportive, but it turns out if you even take a paracetimol with the pill it can effect it, in my case they don't know what caused it to not work, despite the fact i took it religiously same time everyday (i was also on other medication that HAD to be taken precisly at the same time for two years so i was in a routine) they say that other medication can affect it or my metabolism could have broken it down faster than it could work so if you have good metabolism it might not work. either way im not going back on the pill ever again.

The oral contraceptive pill is not 100% effective even then taken correctly, babies do happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    I'm on Microlite. Take it the first day of your period. If you didn't take it yesterday, start today and use extra precautions for the next 7 days.

If you are just starting the pill you will NOT be safe after 7 days, its after the first 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

but it turns out if you even take a paracetimol with the pill it can effect it,

I really really doubt this. What makes you think paracetamol affects it?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭smurfette2212

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Microlite is either day one or day 5 of your cycle. I was on it two years ago, way too many tears on it, diff for everybody though. :D

• Advertisement

I've used microlite for 4 years and have once or twice run two packs together...to do this is it necessary to take the whole of the second pack?

The leaflet that comes with the pill will tell you to take the two packs back to back.
    How safe would say taking the first pack, and then a week of the second or so be?

In short, not very safe. For the pill to be as effective as it can be, you need to completely take each course of pills.
    I tried to ring my doctor to ask, but he's away at the moment, and I was too chicken to ask his replacement!!

Why? They're all doctors. If you are too "chicken" to ask questions about prescription medication that you are taking, then you should consider not taking the medication until you are able to ask questions of doctors.

(sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you aren't mature enough to ask questions of a doctor, then are you mature enough to take the pill and have sex?)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement