Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I ask for a pay rise?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Hold on this guy is working 60 hours per week for €480 a week(25k/52) thats 8e an hour, sure that's less than the minimum of €8.65, time to get a new job i say....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seachmall wrote: »
    Act really stressed about it too, you probably are stressed, but make sure he sees your stress (be subtle about it though).

After 2 or 3 weeks begin dropping hints, casually mentioning car loans, etc.

To be honest, playing this game only makes you look incompetent and unable to manage your time/finances(in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Start putting in a ****load of hours. I know you probably are but put in more.

Act really stressed about it too, you probably are stressed, but make sure he sees your stress (be subtle about it though).

After 2 or 3 weeks begin dropping hints, casually mentioning car loans, etc.

And for God's sake GET OFF BOARDS, it's 10:30 in the morning for fuck sake.!

If that fails get a job in the public sector and get your union to stir shit.
    Ain't you just the funniest fcuk god ever put on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Stark wrote: »
    To be honest, playing this game only makes you look incompetent and unable to manage your time/finances(in my opinion).

I mean subtly, like water cooler talk. "Jaysus, the fecking bank are onto us about the car payments. 2 days late and they're down your throat. Have they nothing better to be doing with their time?" over the tea break.

I don't mean show up covered in sweat, with a ripped shirt, loose tie, a missing shoe and then collapsing on the table while crying about your car :pac:
    not_yet wrote:
    Ain't you just the funniest fcuk god ever put on the planet.
    I'm an atheist actually but I appreciate your sentiment.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Ok here's the story, I work for a small company of about 10 employees. We recently took on a new contract from our main client, and I was chosen to take it on. It is totally different to what I was doing before, and I'm now away from my wife and 2 kids ( aged 6 and 2 ) for 10 days at a time, with 4 days off.

When I started this work my boss gave me an extra €25 a week, but I just don't think it's enough for the extra responsibility and work I'm doing.

So my question is should I look for more( currently on 25k ) or should I be glad to have a job?

Dear god yes, jesus christ.
    You owe them nothing and your goal should be to get paid as much as humanly possible, because their goal is to get you to work for as little as possible.

Anyone who believes they ought to be "glad to have a job" deserves to be exploited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I mean subtly, like water cooler talk. "Jaysus, the fecking bank are onto us about the car payments. 2 days late and they're down your throat. Have they nothing better to be doing with their time?" over the tea break.

I don't mean show up covered in sweat, with a ripped shirt, loose tie, a missing shoe and then collapsing on the table while crying about your car :pac:

I don't think there should be any games at all. All the OP should do is walk up to the boss, explain to them why they're worth more: years experience, time and expense to train someone new, what they do well, what they would be offered for the same work on the market etc. If the boss doesn't respond to that, look elsewhere. He might not find somewhere that pays more but he might find somewhere with less hours and stress. Telling your boss you're falling behind on your car payments is only going to worry him/her about your ability to grow in the job and competently assume responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

25K, is that pretty much minimum wage? You, my friend are being taken for a ride. But then, there's nothing to stop the boss riding you if you keep bending over for him.
    I'd start by letting him know I wanted over-time (time and a half) for every hour he expects you to work over 39.
    I would consider 25K a poor base rate and some one paying that should expect to pay more for anything over 39hours.
    I personally wouldn't even bother working for that kind of wage let alone put in the hours you put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Hi thanks to all who replied, it basically what the missus has been telling me for weeks.
    She's going mental that I'm working 20hrs overtime and travelling 10hrs per week for no extra pay. That and the fact she works full time and is 4months pregnant!
    My boss is the kind of person who will argue over every hour that I can't account for, he thought he was doing great giving me 25 e a week extra, but sure after mr taxman is finished its only an extra tenner!
    I'm gonna have a think about it, I am the only one trained on this new contract and I don't wanna back him into a corner, cause I know who will win that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭okiss

Hi Kev,
    From your last post -I am the only one trained on this new contract.
    You are in a good position at the moment in that you are the only one trained on this new contract. Your wife is right and you need to ask for a pay rise.
    At the moment your wife is pregnant, working full time and your not at home much due to your hours. Your wife knows how much money she and you are paying out for food, bills, children's shoes ect. Meanwhile you working long hours for very poor money.
    You should be getting time and half for every hour over 39 hours a week that you work and be getting a higher salary than €25k.
    You need to have a talk with your boss about this. If you don't get a pay rise, don't say anything to your boss but start to look for a new job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Some points from an employer

Minimum wage is about 18k so 25k is nearly 1.5 times as much
    I advertised for a position recently at minimum and gOt hundreds of cvs from very overqualified people

If you think you can get more somewhere else then get that job and then ask for a raise or yer walking. Bluffing gets people nowhere tbh.

And for gods sake claim every hour you work That's a no brainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

RoverJames wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic in response to the quote I posted :)
    my bad, missed it completely
    25K, is that pretty much minimum wage? You, my friend are being taken for a ride. But then, there's nothing to stop the boss riding you if you keep bending over for him.
    I'd start by letting him know I wanted over-time (time and a half) for every hour he expects you to work over 39.
    I would consider 25K a poor base rate and some one paying that should expect to pay more for anything over 39hours.
    I personally wouldn't even bother working for that kind of wage let alone put in the hours you put in.
    are you mad/? id be happy to get 25k

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

booboo88 wrote: »
    are you mad/? id be happy to get 25k

I hate this sort of crap. Maybe the poster is more qualified than you. Get over it. It's nice to know you'd be happy to get 25k, but it really doesn't add to the discussion at all. That poster obviously wouldn't take 25k, maybe he can easily earn more than that, has a family to support etc. It's not that he is mad.

Sorry to be singling out you, but this sort of a line is being said more and more often. It really infuriates me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Cian92 wrote: »
    I hate this sort of crap. Maybe the poster is more qualified than you. Get over it. It's nice to know you'd be happy to get 25k, but it really doesn't add to the discussion at all. That poster obviously wouldn't take 25k, maybe he can easily earn more than that, has a family to support etc. It's not that he is mad.

Sorry to be singling out you, but this sort of a line is being said more and more often. It really infuriates me.

My apologies, clearly he is more qualified than me, but out of curiosity how do you know this for sure?
    Am I the only one that hasn't woken up from the nightmare that is recession.
    Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Cian92 wrote: »

+1

25K in dublin, with a negative equity morgage and 2 kids wouldn't see you through 6 months, now 25K in cork would be a different matter, I'd say there are cleaners in dublin on more than 25K.
    I earn a lot more than 25K AND my wife also needs to work, which is a fact I'm not proud of, although I'm very proud of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Ok here's the story, I work for a small company of about 10 employees. We recently took on a new contract from our main client, and I was chosen to take it on. It is totally different to what I was doing before, and I'm now away from my wife and 2 kids ( aged 6 and 2 ) for 10 days at a time, with 4 days off.

When I started this work my boss gave me an extra €25 a week, but I just don't think it's enough for the extra responsibility and work I'm doing.

So my question is should I look for more( currently on 25k ) or should I be glad to have a job?

Sorry to bump an old thread here but just thought I'd give an update.

Never got a pay rise despite asking for it twice, so just put my head down and gave the job all I could.
    My employer never once gave me any credit for doing a good job despite the main client telling him they were very happy with my work.

So this week I got called into the main clients headquarters, and they offered me a permanent position. €38,000 per year, company car, phone, laptop, and all hotel lunch and dinner covered!

So for anyone out there who is slaving away getting nowhere, don't give up hope, I didn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Happy days fair play

Advertisement