Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quitting for good

• 19-12-2011 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

So I was off the damned things for 12 days until I went out last night and I had 3 or 4, I drank way too much and let myself down badly, I was raging with myself, I even went to the 24 hour up the road after the club had finished and bought 20.

During the 12 days I was off them I felt so good abut myself, there was no smell off my clothes or in the car, my sense of taste dramatically improved and even in such a short time I noticed the money I was saving.

So now I have set 00:00 (midnight) January 1st 2012 as the time to take my last puff. I will be using the 24 hour patch for the first 2 weeks then I will be on my own.

It's just under 2 weeks away so I made this thread to give myself a reason to not give in.

I will be updating this thread every day until I am confident I will not smoke again, advice is welcome from people too :) I hope this inspires others to give up the cancer sticks for good.

Here's hoping for a smoke free 2012 and a new beginning for me, see ya'll on new years :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Leave out updating this post until you stop. Then do it daily or more - that's what I did.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to stop. Don't rage at yourself for slipping up last night. It happens. Have a look at what happened to me at post #30. I slipped up after 8 days but got right back on the horse. It's not an easy thing to give up - but if you want to do it you will. Just don't put too much pressure on yourself first. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭clare ny

Best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

I gave up 9 days ago,,, I got a bit of a scare,pains under my ribs and really started to think the worst:( I was thinking how am I going to tell my wife and kids such bad news and all the things I would not see them do in their life.Got the all clear from doc today but it made me think that's one talk I don't want to have with my family. I hope I never smoke again

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

Right Im giving up on Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

So that's day 1 over!

It wasn't too bad at all really, I was in work for a few hours earlier so that kind of took my mind off of the fags for a bit.

I'm using the 24 hour patch and I have to say I had some weird dreams last night :D

Here's hoping day 2 is as easy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Day 2 for me too. Cold turkey.

Didnt find it too hard at all yesterday or so far today, its a bit of a relief tbh that giving up is finally happening, Ive been thinking about it and putting it off and dreading it for so long. Im glad I can just get on with it now and not be worrying about doing it!!

How many were you on OP and for how long?

Ive smoked for maybe 20 years, the max I ever smoked was around 16 or so a day, the past 2 years I was down to 8-10 a day and the past few months was down to 5-6 a day. I was just sick of it. Every time I lit up I felt faintly disgusted. It wasnt the money or the health aspect that got me trying to give up, it was the sheer amount of disgust I was starting to feel in myself for dragging myself outside in any weather to have a 10 minute session of smelly suffocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Well now 29 hours and 5 minutes off the fags cold turkey. Have had a few cravings but so far am doin ok. 3rd attempt in the last 12 months so fingers crossed that this time it sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cloonton

Come on ye quitters!!!
    Juat a quick post to let you know what worked for me in my most recent quit, which will be 5 months strong on the 9th of this month (after being the guts of a pack a day smoker for the past 15 years...)
    Check out www.whyquit.com and its forums for loads of advice and support, I'm sure you've heard it before but Alan Carr's Easy Way also helped me. I also downloaded one of the quit counters from WhyQuit which I still look at every few days (and was glued to for the first few days (/weeks? /months? :p)
    Personally it took me about 3 serious quits over the past 2 years to get to where I am now, as well as about 5 more "mini" quits, and I learned something from each and every one of them :)
    Good luck with your quit, OP, and let us know how you get on.

Day 2 for me too. Cold turkey.

Didnt find it too hard at all yesterday or so far today, its a bit of a relief tbh that giving up is finally happening, Ive been thinking about it and putting it off and dreading it for so long. Im glad I can just get on with it now and not be worrying about doing it!!

How many were you on OP and for how long?

Ive smoked for maybe 20 years, the max I ever smoked was around 16 or so a day, the past 2 years I was down to 8-10 a day and the past few months was down to 5-6 a day. I was just sick of it. Every time I lit up I felt faintly disgusted. It wasnt the money or the health aspect that got me trying to give up, it was the sheer amount of disgust I was starting to feel in myself for dragging myself outside in any weather to have a 10 minute session of smelly suffocation.
    I'm 24 and started when I was 16 or 17 so I wouldn't be as hooked on them as much as someone like yourself.

Day 2 over and again it was easy enough, didn't really think about them much as I kept myself busy, the devil makes work for idle hands and all that jazz I suppose :D

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Day 2 over and again it was easy enough, didn't really think about them much as I kept myself busy, the devil makes work for idle hands and all that jazz I suppose :D

Well done, totally agree about keeping busy.

I find certain times harder, early in the morning, late at night, whole middle of the day is a dawdle by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 drunky monkey

ekkk !! day 3 for me !! back to work was hard ! didn't think smoking had such a hold over me !! i am quiet proud of myself though ! i would have pulled out my hair for a smoke today and didn't!! lets hope tomorrow gets a bit easier :) !! good luck everyone !!!!!!

I was actually getting mild dizzy spells today, as well as being cranky, feeling on edge, and a complete lack of concentration while trying to study. I feel slightly hyped up, stressed out, like Im waiting for something to happen.

Long swim in the morning, hoping it burns off some of the nervous energy and gets me calmer. Day 3 has been hardest so far (and its only 6.30pm!!).

Any idea when food starts smelling and tasting better because I feel like I need something to look forward to!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Day 3 is one of the toughest days. Food will start tasting better very soon. Keep going :)

Day 3 gone thank God.

Like Orion said that was the toughest so far woke up in a pool of sweat this morning but all I wanted was a shower not a cigarette. I was very lethargic all day, I had no energy what so ever. My sense of taste and smell has improved dramatically, the stink of stale smoke in the car is disgusting so tomorrow I'm going to give it a good clean out and scrub.

Also well done to the other quitters in here, keep it going folks, don't let it beat you.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow will be a bit easier....

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Going into day 3, cold turkey=madman, total fuzzy and extreams in moods.
    Alot of cravings. Day 2 less intence all around. Craving s most intent morning end evening, feeling high I surpose over extra o2 to the brain.
    Still as snappy as hell, got to learn to deal with the highness. channell it through talk. Another 24 hours and i shell be nicoteen free.
    All the best to people on their journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I'am on day 4 today, yesterday was the hardest so far because i was around a smoker. But i stayed strong!
    I have a vapebar that someone gave me and smoked a bit of that lastnight, so thats helping i surpose, but it nicotine free vapour so still good.

I'am 25 and smoking since about 17, i tried to give up 2 years ago and it nearly killed me on the first day with pains in my head and lasted about 14hrs. This time was lot easier for so reason, maybe i'am stronger mentaly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I gave up after st Stephens day. for me the hardest part is thwarting commute to work as it's about 2 hours. but defo worth it. feel much better physically and mentally.

Really hope we can all stay strong. dreading the big booze test.

Well done everyone who is continuing their journey into freedom!!

After a good sleep, I feel fine this morning (day 4), just glad yesterday is behind me!!! At one point I was thinking Id have to go to a doctor if the anxiousness didnt abate. Luckily it did and the evening was fine, but Im glad my first thought was 'ill have to see a doc' as opposed to 'ill have to have a fag'!!

Im off for a test now, going to the gym, long swim, used to love my ciggie in the car on the way home after it.

Feeling ok though, just happy to still be off them and hoping it starts getting easier soon, no intention of giving in at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cassia

Quit this morning, tried so many times last year and here I am again.
    Will keep reading here to keep me motivated

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hiDEhi

Day 3 over for me. Today wasn't too bad. I'm not sleeping right, I'm eating more than normal but this is all part of the giving up. This is the second time in 6 months that I've tried but this time it's definite. Have a few cravings during the day but nothing too bad. Best of luck to everyone else quitting.

• Advertisement

72 hours at midnight. What a day, no energy all day, day 3 the hardest by far. Still have headaches, I never want to go through this again. They say 3 days cold turkey and the cravings start to die down. Roll on tomorrow.
    Its good to know I am not the only one who feels like this.

Day 4 over, I have to say it was no where near as bad as yesterday, I still think about them a good bit throughout the day mainly first thing in the morning and immediately after eating a meal. I gave the car a good going over today and it smelled lovely (after half a bottle of Fabreeze :D).

I feel quite proud of myself TBH.....
    72 hours at midnight. What a day, no energy all day, day 3 the hardest by far. Still have headaches, I never want to go through this again. They say 3 days cold turkey and the cravings start to die down. Roll on tomorrow.
    Its good to know I am not the only one who feels like this.

Take a Panadol or something for the headaches, just remember you will never have to do it again once you are free.

Keep it up people...

ThePower11 wrote: »
    I feel quite proud of myself TBH.....

Im proud of you too!!! Youre doing great!!

Day 4 was easy for me, facing Day 5 now, feel ok.

Have been having the odd moment of 'oh no, did I accidently smoke there earlier?' when I havent been near a cigarette - kinda weird, like my mind is trying to trick me!

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cassia

On day 2 here and doing quite well, trying not to obsess about it and liking the fact that I no longer am paranoid about stinking of fags. Didn't sleep great last night though but other than that all good:)

Jesus, day 4 is rough, woke up early again and could not get back to sleep,
    I think my brain has broke down, It feels like a virus is sucking the moisture out of my brain. I just hope that I am still in detox. because if I am not than I feel like I have permanent brain damage.
    If you see a man on the late news eating the roof off his house, just say yes that man is doing well, at least he`s not smoking. I will be free.......I will be free........, I am free....I am free...... who am I talking to. Dam I am raving!
    To all who are suffering..... We will be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hiDEhi

Today was tough too, but not as bad as yesterday. Not much energy, probably caused by the lack of a decent sleep. It should get better from here in. I feel the worst is over me now. Best of luck everyone, stick with it.

Day 5 going fine, got some exercise this morning which is always good.

Am still getting the odd mild dizzy spell, nothing that would make me stop in my tracks but I notice it from time to time. Hopefully its just all this oxygen that wasnt able to get to my brain before getting there.

Didnt really feel cravings today, appetite normal etc...

Keep it going people, you are all doing GREAT!!!!!

Day 4 over with. This evening was a lot better than today. I didn`t eat one slate off the roof. Even at times when I think my head is going to explode, thinking about a filthy fag clogging my lungs, the guilt of crippling my health and pocket. brings about a reality that keeps me going.
    Comming on here and reading username. power11 and all others help me a great deal. Stick with it everyone and soon we will be leading healthy lives,
    What would be worse then the suffering of detox? For me it would the guilt,
    Depression, I will get over the physical and mental detox, but I wont get over the guilt of killing the quality of life that I have been gifted with. Roll on day 5 here I come.

...thinking about a filthy fag clogging my lungs, the guilt of crippling my health and pocket. brings about a reality that keeps me going.

I couldnt agree with you more. Day 6 here. If I actually think about lighting a cigarette I feel kind of cringy at the thoughts of the suffocatingness of it. Im starting to wonder if my head was screwed on at all for so many years, was I really breathing smelly, dirty, suffocating, toxic smoke in on such a regular basis - by choice!

Im a bit in shock at this giving up lark, I honestly thought it would be MUCH worse than this. Its not easy peasy, but its not nearly as bad as Id feared for so long. I thought Id be behaving like a heroin addict and shaking, sweats, wanting to die etc.... Instead I am getting the odd 'ohhh...Id love a....NO I WOULDNT' moment (with the exception of Day 3 which was a day of anxiousness, dizziness and wanting to punch things).

Ive an exam later today that I could have used as an excuse to not give up this week, and Im proud that Im going to sit that exam as a non smoker :)

• Advertisement

Feeling a lot better today, the cravings have died down, so have the headaches, Starting to feel a bit confident.
    I have been here before and am very aware that this addiction can wipe the floor with me if I become complacent.
    I have felt that I had this addiction beat, that the cravings have gone that I had won, only to end up smoking a few days later.
    So be mindfull that addiction can be very tricky.
    I will be going out tonight with a few friends and I am not going to drink alcohol.
    I have a full wedding tomorrow and I am going to enjoy it all.It still is going to be too early to have a drink.
    Remember a drink and cig go hand in hand.
    Hold on in there everybody,it can only get better.

Advertisement