Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions vs Western Force, Wed 5 June 11am; Sky Sports 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Is this game on the radio? I heard rte had radio rights but I can't see it in any schedule...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Is this game on the radio? I heard rte had radio rights but I can't see it in any schedule...

Lw 252 maybe? Talksport doing it in the UK if you have Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

This is an interesting comment from a fan on GAGR, he has a point.

"The Lions are to blame. They opted to play in a stinking sauna in Hong Kong against a nothing team on the weekend instead of playing in Perth, Why? Simply because they are sponsored by HSBC. Dreadful Rugby.

The tour should have started in Western Australia on Saturday. The Force had the weekend cleared and would have been at full strength! Total disrespect from the B&I Lions because they snubbed the weekend fixture as originally planned."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Isn't it part of every Lions tour for the host nation / Lions management to set up a sequence of matches of less than expected intensity pre first Test?

And to generally play 'phoney war' nonsense for giggles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Swiwi wrote: »

"The Lions are to blame. They opted to play in a stinking sauna in Hong Kong against a nothing team on the weekend instead of playing in Perth, Why? Simply because they are sponsored by HSBC. Dreadful Rugby.

The tour should have started in Western Australia on Saturday. The Force had the weekend cleared and would have been at full strength! Total disrespect from the B&I Lions because they snubbed the weekend fixture as originally planned."

I think he's forgetting about that whole money thing! Dont disagree on the match.

AFAIK was always planned to do a non-Australian continent match.

I thought it'd be in Tokyo for extra dollars but by the by.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sure Lions could have began their Australian tour a week earlier but Australia wasn't offering an extra game. Were the Lions supposed to play one game less?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

subfreq wrote: »
    The Force will be well beaten but I expect a few fireworks and big hits along the way as well.

I worry about this aspect of tomorrows game..you may get a few hatchet men trying to make a name for themselves in all the wrong ways...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

toomevara wrote: »
    I worry about this aspect of tomorrows game..you may get a few hatchet men trying to make a name for themselves in all the wrong ways...

What, like Brain Fart McRae........

"MORE than a decade after raining blow after blow on the face of Irish five-eighth Ronan O'Gara, Duncan McRae still can't say for sure what triggered the infamous boilover at Allianz Stadium.
    The former Waratahs utility, who was sent off and banned for seven weeks after leaving O'Gara with a bleeding wound under his left eye, can only refer to a ''running battle'' between the five-eighths during that fateful game of the British and Irish Lions tour in 2001.
    ''I'd love to be able to explain it, but it just sort of tipped over the edge,'' McRae said this week."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/i-was-a-twit-says-mcrae-and-thanks-his-lucky-stars-there-was-no-twitter-20120914-25xqa.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

yep one of the meat heads Quote's from PR

Matt Hodgson. Saying "...if we can't get the win, we can hopefully get a solid performance and hopefully hurt a few of their bodies" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The Aussie wrote: »
    What, like Brain Fart McRae........

"MORE than a decade after raining blow after blow on the face of Irish five-eighth Ronan O'Gara, Duncan McRae still can't say for sure what triggered the infamous boilover at Allianz Stadium.
    The former Waratahs utility, who was sent off and banned for seven weeks after leaving O'Gara with a bleeding wound under his left eye, can only refer to a ''running battle'' between the five-eighths during that fateful game of the British and Irish Lions tour in 2001.
    ''I'd love to be able to explain it, but it just sort of tipped over the edge,'' McRae said this week."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/i-was-a-twit-says-mcrae-and-thanks-his-lucky-stars-there-was-no-twitter-20120914-25xqa.html
    The old story is ROG was chatting up his missus before it. Probably bollocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Plus Origin is the only game in town in Oz tomorrow, nobody really gives a monkeys about this game...

It's the opposite in Perth thankfully, no one gives a monkey's about Origin ;)
    Do post a review!

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tune in to RTÉ Radio 1 Extra for live coverage of Western Force v British & Irish Lions from 11am. Listen on RTÉ Radio player, UPC, Saorview and on LW252.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I have to admit the state of origin would be a better event than this Lions match. Not as much about it in Melbourne compared to Queensland but still a big event. The best players in the rugby league world competing against each other. Any union fan that says they can't learn anything from a state of origin game is lying. I'll be keeping an eye on both games at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

GAGR has put together a compilation of punch-ups through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We had a good bit of rain overnight here and it's starting to spit again now, could make things interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Radio 1 Extra is covering the game and the 5 other non-test matches. The tests will be on 2fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

GAGR has put together a compilation of punch-ups through the years.

That brings back a few memories.

I hope the standard of punching improves this year. Although forgot how well ROG took that assault, wouldn't be shaking hands after that, do that on the street and you'd do time.

Off the sports pitch the Aussies are great but they are the team I most like to see get a few slaps and beaten(result-wise) on it:eek:

Will they be softening up us today?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Any live streams ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Obviously disappointed with the Western Farce team selection. Sure, they have a Super 15 game upcoming but this is a once-in-a-blue-moon opportunity to face the Lions and even a lot of Southern Hemisphere players describe it as the biggest games of their careers.

That being said, exciting line-up and that back-line is scintilating. It really would not look out of place in the Test side. Maybe i'm nostalgic for '09 but i still think the Roberts-BOD centre axis have the tools to be the test pairing but very interested to see how Tuiliagi performs.

I can see Tommy Bowe scoring a brace or hat-trick today, he's had a tough old season with injury and will be raring to go today.

There are some out and out beasts on that pitch, O' Brien, Tuilagi, North and Healy will all be punching huge holes in the Force and should theoretically allow Sexton & Murray a lot of time and space to pull the strings.

Perfect intro for Healy and Best too, and alongside Cole i really see them having pure dominance up front. Healy and Cole may not be as technically proficient as the Jenkins/Jones pairing but they could throw a spanner in the works, especially if Healy has another strong game in the loose.

Given the strength of the Force side on show and the strength of the Lions, it's hard not to envisage a 45 point plus victory.

Perhaps for the benefit of the Tour they really need to embarrass the Force with a heavy win, it might deter the other Super 15 sides from fielding weakened teams. This result will be seen around the world and an embarrassing loss would do little for the Super 15 brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Live stream anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

stackerman wrote: »
    Live stream anyone ?

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭McCalvin

linky srteamy anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

rockbeast wrote: »
    Off the sports pitch the Aussies are great but they are the team I most like to see get a few slaps and beaten(result-wise) on it:eek:

In relation to sports, off the pitch I find them insufferable. I don't know of another nation that takes losing so badly and is so ungracious. I know that's quite the generalisation but, having spent time there and having a number of nephews and in laws there, I do find they take losing extremely badly in all sports and are hyper critical of poor performances to the point of vilification.

Buer wrote: »
    In relation to sports, off the pitch I find them insufferable. I don't know of another nation that takes losing so badly and is so ungracious. I know that's quite the generalisation but, having spent time there and having a number of nephews and in laws there, I do find they take losing extremely badly in all sports and are hyper critical of poor performances to the point of vilification.

Yeah, lot of "machismo" there - or overcompensating:eek:

I do find the majority are grand within a pint/15 mins of the result though.

But, yes "insufferable" between the whistles alright. :mad: which is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Is this on the radio any station?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Really looking forward to Tuilagi-BOD partnership tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

use the stream request thread folks

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Thanos wrote: »
    Is this on the radio any station?

it's on RTE 1 Extra

http://www.rte.ie/radio/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

its_phil wrote: »
    Really looking forward to Tuilagi-BOD partnership tonight.

Should rip it up

• Advertisement

Let me hear the Lions ROAR

Advertisement