Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPG Guide not working on some channles - Win7 Media Center

• 21-05-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a HTPC set up with Win 7 Media centre, Tv card is a BGT 3600 ( http://shop.blackgold.tv/BGT3600 )

Problem is that a few of the satellite channels (BBC One HD and ITV One HD and one or two others) fail to get the EPG guide - i have tried tuning in the channels from scratch again but to no avail, had a look around online too with little success,

Anyone come across this problem before? The main reason i want to fix it is so i can record programs on these channels, this is not possible atm..

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭frash

A friend recommended this to me for a similar problem

http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool

Haven't actually gotten around to using it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Conar

Avoid EPG Collector. It does a great job on getting the listings bit breaks series link on any channel you use it on so wouldnt suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It also helps a lot with both guide completeness and the choice of epg entries to associate with found channels using GuideTool if you choose UK as the country when you do the initial install. I used SW1 1AA as the post code.

To get a decent, properly ordered and complete lineup for the Freesat channels on MCE is a bit of a nightmare to be honest. If I ever have to redo it for whatever reason, it can take me the best part of an afternoon to get it all back to the way I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Alun wrote: »
    It also helps a lot with both guide completeness and the choice of epg entries to associate with found channels using GuideTool if you choose UK as the country when you do the initial install. I used SW1 1AA as the post code.

To get a decent, properly ordered and complete lineup for the Freesat channels on MCE is a bit of a nightmare to be honest. If I ever have to redo it for whatever reason, it can take me the best part of an afternoon to get it all back to the way I like it.

Thanks for the replies lads,

I have used GuideTool with my latest install of the channels with Ireland set as the location, it did take about an hour to get it the way i wanted!

Ill hold out a while to dee if there are any other fixes for lack of EPG for some of the channels before i try retune them with the UK as my location, will this still pick up[ saorview channels from my antenna?

Yes, selecting a UK postcode doesn't seem to affect tuning DTT signals at all.

I found that when you select a UK postcode, you get a different selection of lineups to choose from in GuideTool which are more complete, 'Freesat unmapped' seems to be the best although even that has a few holes. I just choose whatever lineup has the channel I want regardless of what it's called.

I've just added a second LNB and DiseqC switch to pick up the German FTA channels, and to add this I have to go through the whole setup all over again rather than simply adding the new channels which is a PITA. Been putting it off for weeks now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenagoolie

Anyone notice that the RTE EPG values always come us as repeat? Any TV shows (US or UK based, not RTE produced shows like the News) show as repeat on the EPG.

Also can't find EPG values for the following
    UTV
    Channel 5
    Film 4
    Film 4+1
    Anyone have any luck? The data only appears when you select the channel.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Im the same with BBC One HD, ITV HD, utv,c4,c5, Film 4, F4+1 ... Havent found a solution though..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Try this instead:

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/sky-uk-it-aus-enhancements.87526/

I stopped using Windows Media Center over 1 and 1/2 years ago.

Very easy to setup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenagoolie

How is it in terms of reliability Keith?
    • Wake from sleep
    • Handles 2 x DVB/S + DVB/T
    I do have an Xbox that I use as an extender occasionally but it looks interesting. I did try other solutions years ago (SnapSteam BeyondTV) but
    never had anything as easy to setup as WMC

Ronan
    Try this instead:

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/sky-uk-it-aus-enhancements.87526/

I stopped using Windows Media Center over 1 and 1/2 years ago.

Very easy to setup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

How is it in terms of reliability Keith?
    • Wake from sleep
    • Handles 2 x DVB/S + DVB/T
    I do have an Xbox that I use as an extender occasionally but it looks interesting. I did try other solutions years ago (SnapSteam BeyondTV) but
    never had anything as easy to setup as WMC

Ronan

I recently did a full install there about 2 weeks ago.
    Works flawlessly as long as you have BDA Drivers,

Longest part was channel scanning and then filtering out what I wanted into categories.

Mine wakes from sleep just fine when using my Laptop as a client.

Mines running with Analog, DVB-T and DVB-S2, works fine.

• Advertisement

Media Center can supply EPG for all those channels as has already been explained, just use GuideTool and select a UK postcode when you're installing. What you're seeing when you view a channel that hasn't got an EPG entry is the Now/Next EPG embedded in the signal.

I tried MediaPortal a few months ago and wasn't over keen on it to be honest, although the whole process of scanning and channel editing is a lot easier than MCE.

Advertisement