Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I've heard that drainage was a major problem for them at the Sars roundabout end. Prob why they are behind schedule.
    It was, i cycle through that rounabout pretty much every day, if there was any heavy rain for the last 6 months it was pretty much flooded out. Then when they raised and the road the front of elmvale, started flooding at any hint of rain.

But the weather was very wet the last 6 months too, i pitied them some days working in the trenches and needing the water pumps going to keep from filling up, that was very tough work without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kells74

According to the National Roads Authority website - End of construction: Q3 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have been passing alot the last few days, lots of machinery lying idle, and seems to be fewer workers than before. Im getting the feeling they are just tipping away till spring, as i live nearby and the ground conditions everywhere are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Have been passing alot the last few days, lots of machinery lying idle, and seems to be fewer workers than before. Im getting the feeling they are just tipping away till spring, as i live nearby and the ground conditions everywhere are terrible.
    You wouldn't blame them given the amount of rain that was dumped last night.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what is the procedure when they're rained off? Do they agree this with the NRA so it doesn't count against them if they're over time (in order to avoid a possible penalty)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭pigtown

serfboard wrote: »
    You wouldn't blame them given the amount of rain that was dumped last night.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what is the procedure when they're rained off? Do they agree this with the NRA so it doesn't count against them if they're over time (in order to avoid a possible penalty)?

In a normal contract you are only allowed use the weather as an excuse if it couldn't have been forseen, like snow in July. Rain in winter in Ireland should have been expected and allowed for in scheduling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Progress update:
    Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    Monday 11th February 2013

Over the coming weeks the works on the Interchanges Scheme will continue to focus mainly on the
    Sarsfield Road Roundabout area. The piling works which are currently ongoing at the eastern side of the
    roundabout should be completed over the next two weeks. The third and final support for the new Sarsfield
    Road flyover structure will also be progressed and it is hoped to have all 8 columns at this eastern abutment
    completed before the end of February. Construction of the approach embankment on the western side of the
    Sarsfield Road flyover will also continue over the next few weeks with a completion date in late
    March/early April anticipated for this element of the works.
    At the Bandon Road end the full length of the new sound barrier should be in place before the end of
    February. Surfacing works at the Bandon Road end are currently getting underway and should reach
    substantial completion around the middle of March 2013.
    It is not anticipated that there will be any significant daytime traffic restrictions in place for the remainder of
    February 2013. However it is anticipated that works on the western tie-in in the Waterfall Road overbridge
    area west of the Bandon Road Roundabout will be progressed in early to mid March. These works are likely
    to be progressed under weekend working in order to minimise traffic disruption and details of the proposed
    arrangements will be issued over the coming weeks. In overall terms it is still hoped that traffic will be
    using both flyovers by the end of this coming summer and regular updates will continue to be issued as the
    works progress.
    As always, if you have any queries or comments in relation to the current phase of the works or in relation to
    the scheme in general site staff can be contacted at the above number, on the freephone 24 hour helpline
    number 1800 932 046 or by email on n25@ccc-site.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Took a drive down there last night.

The ramp from the Western side for the Sars flyover is progressing nicely. Apart from that, there hasn't been much work on that end since Christmas.

Still very little work done on the Eastbound carriageway between both roundabouts. The westbound carriageway is essentially finished.

Bandon flyover is basically finished. Putting up noise cancelling screens on the flyover at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭cork_south

5 photos I took last week, poor quality.

http://imgur.com/fxTmZPp,F6l5xY6,Fl4X9ul,EthyJ4l,fiFk6uw#0

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Looking at the pictures there is still a lot to be done. But Q3 looks realistic to me. Weather is only going to improve from now on and days are also getting longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

I took a couple of pictures yesterday of progress

Bandon Road RAB from south
    2013-02-23155729_zps02c61bec.jpg

Eastbound ramp over Bandon Road flyover
    2013-02-23160249_zpsd4ce6ae9.jpg

2013-02-23160325_zps10b283a5.jpg

2013-02-23155819_zps96cda707.jpg

2013-02-23155839_zpsd98cfa89.jpg

2013-02-23155909_zps74d25253.jpg

2013-02-23160000_zpse1321c3a.jpg

• Advertisement

Sarsfield Road RAB
    2013-02-23161048_zpscd2db9ce.jpg

2013-02-23161148_zps1e87aeaa.jpg

2013-02-23161327_zps6825ff11.jpg

2013-02-23161434_zps1b43a237.jpg

2013-02-23161845_zpseea96dd2.jpg

2013-02-23161908_zps775db947.jpg

2013-02-23161959_zps13064a9e.jpg

2013-02-23162101_zps75509d73.jpg

2013-02-23161802_zps01881bc6.jpg

2013-02-23161436_zps71a1f241.jpg

2013-02-23161501_zps14add49a.jpg

2013-02-23161506_zpsa052e92a.jpg

2013-02-23161619_zps4642c871.jpg

Road between two RAB facing east:-
    2013-02-23160240_zps57624d5a.jpg

2013-02-23160148_zps6ef729b3.jpg

Sarsfield road, showing extent that road was raised:-
    2013-02-23161738_zps94d06eb1.jpg

2013-02-23161608_zps2cf381ec.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Wow, still a lot to do. I thought they might be a bit more advanced by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Is the South Ring Road turning into this.

bumpy-road-thumb22173210.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Pretty much!
    Is the South Ring Road turning into this.

bumpy-road-thumb22173210.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

The Bishopstown roundabout flyover is in the process of getting the black stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭TheChizler

kub wrote: »
    The Bishopstown roundabout flyover is in the process of getting the black stuff.

Ah, that reminds me!

Progress Update

Thursday 28th February 2013

Piling works in the area east of the Sarsfield Road flyover have now been completed. 4 of the 8 columns required on the eastern abutment of the Sarsfield Road flyover structure have been cast and it is hoped to complete all 8 columns in this area early next week. Preparatory earthworks will continue in the area east of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout over the next few weeks with a view to getting construction of the flyover approach ramp in this area underway as quickly as possible.

At the Bandon Road end surfacing works on the flyover itself are currently ongoing and installation of the sound barrier throughout the length of the Bandon Road flyover is currently nearing completion.

As noted in previous updates surfacing works will be progressed at both the western and eastern tie-in points of the Scheme under weekend working over the next few weeks. As part of this process significant lane restrictions and localised diversions will be in place for eastbound traffic between the Curraheen Road Interchange and the Bandon Road Roundabout over this coming weekend. The restrictions will be in place from 7.30 a.m. on both Saturday 2nd March and Sunday 3rd March – on both days the road will be fully reopened as quickly as possible but it is anticipated that the restrictions will be in place on both days into the early afternoon. Available diversion routes will be signposted and motorists are strongly advised to avail of these alternative routes as lengthy delays are anticipated. Regular updates will be issued over the weekend via AA Roadwatch and local radio stations as the works progress.

If there are any queries or comments in relation to the ongoing works or in relation to the upcoming traffic management arrangements, site staff can be contacted at the above number, on the freephone 24 hour helpline number 1800 932 046 or by email on n25@ccc-site.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Not sure if this has been posted before:
    bandonrnd.png

Any idea when that was taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

TheChizler wrote: »
    Any idea when that was taken?

September 2012 I would say (leaves still green).

• Advertisement

Surface being laid on Bandon Road flyover. Surely we'll see a phased opening of this scheme.

It wouldn't take much effort to open the flyover for Westbound traffic anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Surface being laid on Bandon Road flyover. Surely we'll see a phased opening of this scheme.

It wouldn't take much effort to open the flyover for Westbound traffic anyways.

It's now possible to drive from one end of the flyover to the other. All that's stopping you is a few cones and wire fence. Oh the temptation!!!

Progress Update No. 62:

Progress Update - Reminder

Friday 8th March 2013

Motorists are reminded that major surfacing works are planned on the South Ring Road immediately west of Bandon Road Roundabout over this coming weekend. Lane restrictions and localised diversions will be in place affecting westbound traffic from early morning on both Saturday 9th March 2013 and Sunday 10th March 2013 and motorists are advised to take an alternative route where possible. We expect that the lane restrictions will be removed by early afternoon on both Saturday and Sunday.

If there are any queries or comments in relation to the ongoing works or in relation to the upcoming traffic management arrangements, site staff can be contacted at the above number, on the freephone 24 hour helpline number 1800 932 046 or by email on n25@ccc-site.com.

Progress Update 66:
    Progress Update
    Wednesday 20th March 2013

The first two bridge beams for the Sarsfield Road flyover structure were delivered to site on yesterday Tuesday 19th March 2013. The attached photographs show various stages of the beam delivery process, entering the Jack Lynch Tunnel, at the Kinsale Road flyover and at Sarsfield Road Roundabout. A further two beams will be delivered on each of the remaining days of this week including Saturday 23rd March with the beams due to arrive at the Jack Lynch Tunnel around lunchtime on each day.

Night time working will continue over the coming nights as weather conditions allow mainly focused on the eastbound traffic lanes heading east from the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. Lane restrictions will be in place in this area from about 8.00 p.m. each evening but no significant delays to traffic are anticipated.

As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspect of the scheme can contact us on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046, or by email on n25@ccc-site.com.

Saw the two beams that were delivered yesterday. They're lying in the section between the 2 roundabouts. Only thing I can say about them is they are massive!!! Tried to take a photo on my phone this morning but it was crap due to the sun pointing directly at the phone.

Drove in the Ballincollig bypass yesterday in daylight. Almost tempted to go over the Bandon flyover except for the barriers.

Have to say one thing, the Sarsfield Roundabout since being altered is now very tight. Should possibly have made it larger.

Does anyone know where the bridge beams originated? They are massive and I must say I admire the skill of the guys driving those trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

kub wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the bridge beams originated? They are massive and I must say I admire the skill of the guys driving those trucks.

Banagher Precast Concrete Ltd, Banagher, Co. Offaly

Glad to see they did not come in off a boat. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

met the 2 trucks on the M7 on Tuesday with the beams ... absolutely huge things, being hauled by Aylward Heavy Haulage.

Advertisement