Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i like smith but he doesn't have killer instinct for me that murtagh has. when murtagh gets the ball there is only thing in his mind and that is getting a score, even at minor level donie would run down blind alleys and i can guarantee had murtagh had that chance donie missed in last years connacht final he wouldn't have hit the post...

we had such a great group at minor level between 2011 and 2013 than only winning two connachts was a massive disappointment. we let ourselves down in croke park in 2011 and how we lost to kerry in 2012 i will never know.

Jesus, I've seen Donie do some incredible things with the football in hand, and in big matches too.

More than any miss he had in last year's Connacht final he was head and shoulders the best player on the field, and I rate Shane Walsh, Adrian Varley and Ian Burke highly. He did something silly (a tackle the rode high) while on a yellow that day and it probably cost us the Connacht final because whatever about the other lads I'd have backed Donie to nail more than enough of the stream of chances we had after his sending off to see us home comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Is there an improvement in this team for the final?

I hope there is because I cannot see Dublin being as poor again.

any word on the injuries to the likes of Kelly, Daly etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Do you think will your U21s play next week lads or be rested?

Was disapointed with some of our handling at the back and the goals we conceded, it was in no way a complete performance. Hopefully the lads can go out on a high in the final.

Daly was supposedly borderline for Saturday so he should make the final barring set-back.

The two Fintans have differing injuries, Sweeney a foot/ankle and Kelly has a hamstring injury. Heard nothing about them so far so their availability is up in the air.

We'll need to make better use of the bench against Dublin than we did against Cork or indeed Dublin in 2012 if we're to win. Assuming some injuries clear we'll have plenty of impact on the bench so we need to back those lads to close out a tight game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Hoping that all ye're forwards are fit I think ye have a bit more than Dublin. Ye have multiple threats not just a Murtagh show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

Syferus wrote: »
    Was disapointed with some of our handling at the back and the goals we conceded, it was in no way a complete performance. Hopefully the lads can go out on a high in the final.

Daly was supposedly borderline for Saturday so he should make the final barring set-back.

The two Fintans have differing injuries, Sweeney a foot/ankle and Kelly has a hamstring injury. Heard nothing about them so far so their availability is up in the air.

We'll need to make better use of the bench against Dublin than we did against Cork or indeed Dublin in 2012 if we're to win. Assuming some injuries clear we'll have plenty of impact on the bench so we need to back those lads to close out a tight game.

During the warmup on Saturday I saw Kelly taking part in the subs handpassing game. Although he didn't seem to be going flat out, he didn't seem to be limping either. There might be a chance.

megadodge wrote: »
    During the warmup on Saturday I saw Kelly taking part in the subs handpassing game. Although he didn't seem to be going flat out, he didn't seem to be limping either. There might be a chance.

Didn't notice that myself but that's a good sign. I heard he was having a little trouble with his knee before the injury so if his hamstring can heal up he should be better overall for the time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Hoping that all ye're forwards are fit I think ye have a bit more than Dublin. Ye have multiple threats not just a Murtagh show

But in all fairness what a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Lemlin wrote: »
    Do you think will your U21s play next week lads or be rested?

hopefully not but i can't predict the mind of the manager.

of the 3 guys that would have been certain starters from the under 21s ie conor daly (was injured and missed the under 21 semi against cork). of the other two enda smith and diarmuid murtagh both of whom are forwards we should have a strong enough panel to cover those losses given the under 21 final is more important.

Article in the Independent today on Evans and he stated that all 6 U21s on the senior panel will be taking no part in Saturday's match. I agree with that thinking as we are already promoted and the U21 final is of far more significance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Gunneros

megadodge wrote: »
    Article in the Independent today on Evans and he stated that all 6 U21s on the senior panel will be taking no part in Saturday's match. I agree with that thinking as we are already promoted and the U21 final is of far more significance.

In same article, Evans says that at least 4 other players are out through injury. Does anyone know who they might be.

Gunneros wrote: »
    In same article, Evans says that at least 4 other players are out through injury. Does anyone know who they might be.

Paddy B did his collarbone in the Cavan game so he's one. Tough luck on the lad, he has lots of potential. Don't know who the other three are.

How do ye expect the team to line out lads?

I've heard no news of new injuries from the Cavan camp. A good few, Keating, Givney, Mossy Corr for example, had picked up niggles throughout the league campaign but most are back now. I posted on the Cavan thread a few weeks back that this is how I'd expect us to line out:

Gilsenan
    Joshua Hayes, Rory Dunne, Killian Brady
    James McEnroe, Alan Clarke, Fergal Flanagan
    Gearoid McKiernan, Damien O'Reilly
    Niall McDermott, Martin Reilly, Cian Mackey,
    Eugene Keating, Martin Dunne, David Givney

The U21s are now available so Killian Clarke and Michael Argue may also slot in. Jack Brady is working his way back from injury and came on against Limerick in the final game so he'll get a run second half I'd imagine.

We'd also have a strong bench with players like Alan O'Mara, Jason McLoughlin, Ronan Flanagan, Mark McKeever, Tomas Corr, Declan McKiernan, Kevin Tierney, Turloc Mooney and Niall Smith.

As with yourselves, there is tremendous competition for places at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I honestly can't believe how difficult it seems to be for Roscommon to get their best 15 on the field fully fit.

This happens at all levels from minor up.

Is it training methods?

Super competitive club scene?

Every time there is a big match on the horizon there seems to be niggles and worse all over the field....

Serious handicap for a county with a small enough population.

Gunneros wrote: »

paddy brogan, donal ward, donal keane and ian kilbride are all out through injury

i expect it to be

1. D O'Malley
    2. S McDermott
    3. N Carty
    4. N Collins
    5. D Keenan
    6. N Daly
    7. C Cafferkey
    8. C Shine
    9. M Finneran
    10. C Burns
    11. K Higgins
    12. D Shine
    13. S Kilbride
    14. C Cregg
    15. C Murtagh

Ronan Stack, David O'Gara, Dara Donnelly and Colin Compton will all come on at some stage i suspect, Donnelly might even start in the half forward line after his performance in a challenge with Longford over the weekend.

Eh? You're not watching very careful if you'd say that. Since training began for the season we've had all of one serious long or even medium term injury, Paddy B. And a broken collarbone has feck all to do with training methods.

Every team in the country has a few players injured pretty much at all times and many unreported knocks and niggles on top of that.

Syferus wrote: »
    Eh? You're not watching very careful if you'd say that. Since training began for the season we've had all of one serious long or even medium term injury, Paddy B. And a broken collarbone has feck all to do with training methods.

Every team in the country has a few players injured pretty much at all times and many unreported knocks and niggles on top of that.

I agree. I'm not aware of Cavan having any problems at the minute but I'm sure news of some will creep out towards the weekend.

Lads regularly pick up niggles. Against Offaly, for example, only the second game of the league, Cavan were missing Rory Dunne, Alan Clarke, Gearoid McKiernan (only fit to come on as a sub), David Givney, Micheal Lyng and a few others I believe. Several of those missed two to three games of the league through different complaints.

Its why an extended panel is now so important.

paddy brogan, donal ward, donal keane and ian kilbride are all out through injury

i expect it to be

1. D O'Malley
    2. S McDermott
    3. N Carty
    4. N Collins
    5. D Keenan
    6. N Daly
    7. C Cafferkey
    8. C Shine
    9. M Finneran
    10. C Burns
    11. K Higgins
    12. D Shine
    13. S Kilbride
    14. C Cregg
    15. C Murtagh

Ronan Stack, David O'Gara, Dara Donnelly and Colin Compton will all come on at some stage i suspect, Donnelly might even start in the half forward line after his performance in a challenge with Longford over the weekend.

Poor Ward has always been injury prone. Picked up an injury after starting the first league game and was fit enough to reach the Irish amateur Elite semi-finals in the boxing but hasn't played since then. If he could get a run of fitness he'd be very near the starting line-up with everyone back.

What's the story with Keane? Saw him and Caff on Saturday at the match and he didn't seem to be limping or injured. Are Killer's problems the same ones he's been dealing with since last year or something else?

I'd have DO'G, Dollars and Comp all ahead of Burns for 10 in all honesty. Dollars if you want a good sweeper, Comp if you want to play on the front foot and DO'G if you want a workhorse. Would be a big change of tact for Evans to name Higgins at 11 when Donie has been spectacular at the position this year. I'd have Higgins on the wing myself but manager after manager have insisted on playing him as if he's a midfielder. Evans has never played Finn/Cathal Shine/Higgins together, iirc.

to be fair to padd b1975, roscommon DO have a habit of playing injured players which then comes back to haunt them.

remember cathal shine in the 2011 connacht under 21 final and he didn't play for another year. a chap on here at the time said that cathal comptons parents pleaded with the roscommon management team NOT to play him in the 2012 connancht minor final...we did anyway and he missed the next few months because of injury.

the under 21s have conor daly, fintan kelly, compton, sweeney out injured

to be fair to padd b1975, roscommon DO have a habit of playing injured players which then comes back to haunt them.

remember cathal shine in the 2011 connacht under 21 final and he didn't play for another year. a chap on here at the time said that cathal comptons parents pleaded with the roscommon management team NOT to play him in the 2012 connancht minor final...we did anyway and he missed the next few months because of injury.

the under 21s have conor daly, fintan kelly, compton, sweeney out injured

Aye, our treatment of underage players is one thing we need to address but none of the senior team's injuries above are because of that. We're also not the only county to be flogging our best young players.

Cathal Compton only returned to non-contact training last month, the poor lad's young career has been beset by too many injuries to name already. He's probably already concentrating on the club championship and 2015 with the U21s, he pretty much didn't feature this year at all. All the other injuries will be cleared up by the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

That's what happens with a small playing pool. Injuries to key players.
    Poor mobility and conditioning work are also issues.

Most injuries are soft tissue issues that can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gunneros

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe how difficult it seems to be for Roscommon to get their best 15 on the field fully fit.

This happens at all levels from minor up.

Is it training methods?

Super competitive club scene?

Every time there is a big match on the horizon there seems to be niggles and worse all over the field....

Serious handicap for a county with a small enough population.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about poor conditioning, mobility etc. Arsenal are supposed to have the very best and cutting edge medical facilities available to them but are now carrying out an internal investigation into the injury crisis that derailed them recently. I think it is more to do with a lack of depth and therefore no long term thinking. I believe Ultan Harney is only getting by on injections on a game to game basis for the u-21s. When that finishes I'm sure clann would like him available for the summer. Big decisions for a young fella.

Ultan's awaiting surgery. It's almost 100% that he's getting treated as fast as humanly possible after May 3rd.

I think Harney is still in charge of Clann so he's not going to flog his own family.

Was talking to Donal Ward in Portlaoise and he's having an operation on the pubic/hip area sometime in the next two weeks. He said it's this that has been at the base of all his injuries in the last year or two. He's expecting to be out for 3 months.

I hope this sorts out the injuries, because IMO he's our best half-back. He can defend and attack equally well and is as cool as they come.

Cavan team named:

CAVAN: Conor Gilsenan (Bailieborough); Joshua Hayes (Cootehill), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge); James McEnroe (Ramor United), Alan Clarke (Kingscourt), Damien O’Reilly (Belturbet); Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Killian Brady (Mullahoran); Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Niall McDermott (Ballinagh), Martin Reilly (Killygarry); Jack Brady (Ramor United), Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels), Eugene Keating (St Sylvester’s).

3 changes from the team that played ye in the League. McEnroe, Mackey and Jack Brady all start.

None of our U21s are in the starting 15. I don't know if they'll be involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Lemlin wrote: »
    Cavan team named:

CAVAN: Conor Gilsenan (Bailieborough); Joshua Hayes (Cootehill), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge); James McEnroe (Ramor United), Alan Clarke (Kingscourt), Damien O’Reilly (Belturbet); Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Killian Brady (Mullahoran); Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Niall McDermott (Ballinagh), Martin Reilly (Killygarry); Jack Brady (Ramor United), Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels), Eugene Keating (St Sylvester’s).

3 changes from the team that played ye in the League. McEnroe, Mackey and Jack Brady all start.

None of our U21s are in the starting 15. I don't know if they'll be involved.

14 different clubs represented

14 different clubs represented

It's great to see. Not so long ago 8 or so of the starting 15 would be from the Gaels!

1. Darren O'Malley; 2. Sean McDermott,3. Niall Carty, 4. Neil Collins; 5. David Keenan, 6. Niall Daly, 7. Ciaran Cafferkey; 8. Cathal Shine, 9. Kevin Higgins; 10. David O'Gara, 11. Donie Shine, 12. Dara Donnelly; 13. Senan Kilbride, 14. Cathal Cregg, 15. Ciaran Murtagh

8 changes from the team that started the league game in cavan

roscommon have 7 of the team that played in the 2010 hastings cup final against cavan starting this sunday, cavan have 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Fairly strong looking team out, considering we're shorn of our U21 contingent. Would be nice to get our first win in Croker since 2008 (or was it'07??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Safe travels to everyone going to crocker, should be a mighty day, quinns pub near the stadium is a good spot for before the match if any fellas are looking for a few pints to settle the nerves, up the rosies

Advertisement