Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only one?

• 21-04-2012 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I on a personal and emotional level,feel no connection with Ireland.
    I'm fully Irish.Both me and my parents were born here and their parents too.It is worth noting that I have tanned skin.Unfortunately this has lead to me becoming somewhat alienated in Irish society.I was never quite accepted but never
    bullied.
    This has begged the question,why in the "land of a thousand welcomes" has this happened?

Geekness.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

With the state this country is in and the clowns running it, I wouldn't blame you at all for feeling like that. If I could get on a plane in the morning and leave I'd do it without a second thought. The Ireland that I had an attachment to is dead and gone, it's an island EU outpost now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I'm fully Irish.Both me and my parents were born here and their parents too.It is worth noting that I have tanned skin.Unfortunately this has lead to me becoming somewhat alienated in Irish society.I was never quite accepted but never
    bullied.

Geekness.

Blatant Protestant tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Have you never heard the quote that Phil Lynott gave as to what being black in Ireland was to him??
    He said (and am para-phrasing here)
    "It's like being a pint of guinness":D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

bullied.
    This has begged the question,why in the "land of a thousand welcomes" has this happened?

Geekness.

No one is owed a thousand welcomes. Plenty of whities who are alienated in society as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Rory Square Underclothing

Both me and my parents were born here and their parents too

Because apparently, your parents are siblings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Geekness.

There is a real possibility that people here think you are a cunt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Why do people sign posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sea Filly wrote: »
    So they know where going.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Your'e alienated cos your'e tanned? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

OP, I'm also an Irish person with sallow skin who has also experienced abuse as a result. My advice to you is be who you are and play to your qualities, woman love a tan. We're brothers of the Spanish Armada, stay strong my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm in agreement with the OP, i don't find anything particulary endearing about the place, GAA culture maybe an exception. I don't have dark skin or anything, for me, its my mentality, i don't subscribe to the Irish one.

The appauling attitude to alcohol, the joke that is our health system/public transport/infrastructure, the weather (and the constant moaning that comes with it from middle aged women) and the increasing tolerance of a scumbag sub-culture are some of the things that are driving me to emigrate.

grenache wrote: »
    I'm in agreement with the OP, i don't find anything particulary endearing about the place, GAA culture maybe an exception.

GAA, endearing? :confused:
    and the increasing tolerance of a scumbag sub-culture are some of the things that are driving me to emigrate.

There are scummers in every nation on Earth.

Also, all sexes and age groups moan about the weather, bizarre to single out that subgroup.

Your'e alienated cos your'e tanned? :confused:

Agreed, I'm tanned as is my mother and sister, and far from being alienated, it separates you from the pack in a positive way, more often than not, I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Why do people answer their own questions?

Geekness.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I think sometimes if you're not particularly interested in GAA or the Irish language or if you don't have white skin people, then people will make you feel like you don't belong here. But don't listen to them, you were born here, you are every bit as Irish as the people in the Gaeltachts so don't put up with that bullsh*t.

Ireland is more then what the tourist industry claims, maybe try and find some bit of Irish culture you can connect with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I can empathise with the OP, I've slightly off-brown hair and have never been accepted but never quite bullied.

I've no emotional connection with Ireland either but I'm not even sure what people would mean if they said they'd an emotional connection with a country.

There's things I like and things I don't. Dublin feels like home but it's not where I'm from, it's where my friends are. I've lived elsewhere and elsewhere has felt like home...

GAA, endearing? :confused:
    An urban dweller by any chance? Yes, the GAA is endearing. I know some folk like to paint GAA people as neanderthals but the GAA is the best run organisation in the country, and the number one sport, and more importantly, unique to this island. All Ireland Final day in either hurling or football is unlike anything else on this planet, certainly when talking about amateur codes.

There are scummers in every nation on Earth.

Also, all sexes and age groups moan about the weather, bizarre to single out that subgroup.
    Scummers seem more prevalent in the Britain/Ireland, certainly from my experience, probably down to our generous welfare system. You don't see the same quantity of them on mainland Europe. All of my French and Italian friends commented on this.

Oh everyone moans about the weather, sure. But no one moans as much as females in that age category. I work in a shop, i've to listen to them every day.

An urban dweller by any chance? Yes, the GAA is endearing. I know some folk like to paint GAA people as neanderthals but the GAA is the best run organisation in the country, and the number one sport, and more importantly, unique to this island. All Ireland Final day in either hurling or football is unlike anything else on this planet, certainly when talking about amateur codes.

Nope, born and reared in the countryside, and whilst living in Dublin always lived in the environs of Croke Park. The GAA wields way too much power and influence, IMO. And I have never been impressed with any county player I have met in person. Nothing endearing about them. And the sideline comments at matches across all levels is pretty shocking and mortifying.
    Scummers seem more prevalent in the Britain/Ireland, certainly from my experience, probably down to our generous welfare system. You don't see the same quantity of them on mainland Europe. All of my French and Italian friends commented on this.

How many French and Italian friends do you have? I have two French friends who say they will never live there again, clearly not everyone is so enamoured with the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I can assure you, there is. Other countries are better able to filter tourists away from scumbag areas.

I cringe every time I see a tourist alighting at one of the busiest train stations in the country and walking down Talbot Street.

Nope, born and reared in the countryside, and whilst living in Dublin always lived in the environs of Croke Park. The GAA wields way too much power and influence, IMO. And I have never been impressed with any county player I have met in person. Nothing endearing about them.
    No the Church wields too much power and influence. The GAA does what it does, and has in general, a positive impact on society. What about the volunteers who sacrifice their own time/money training youngsters all over the country week in, week out? Or Semple Stadium on Munster Final Day? That's endearing. I've yet to meet a foreigener who wasn't very impressed by our native sports. And so they bloody should be! There are many things i dislike about my native land, but i'll defend Gaelic Games to the hilt, because they are worth defending.

How many French and Italian friends do you have? I have two French friends who say they will never live there again, clearly not everyone is so enamoured with the place.
    About 50. Go out sober some Saturday night in Dublin, or Cork. I'll tell you this, it's far more intimidating than any French or Italian city after dark! Why? Because many young Irish people have zero respect for alcohol and think it's cool to go out and get as drunk as they possibly can. It's pretty disgusting. Not to mention sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Going on about how cold it is, even when it's July and merely dull and drizzly, seems to be a phenomenon among many Irish women all right. Put on a ****ing cardi!

That said, it has been pretty damn cold for April.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

bullied.

Geekness.

I hear ya OP. I was born in America and my parents moved me to Ireland when I was a year old. I lived in Ireland for 26 years, all of my education was in Ireland, my father was Irish. I got an American twang from being around my mother growing up. I got bullied in school because of it. After school I still caught crap off people who just didn't like America or Americans. If you watch this space you'll see the reaction to this, otherwise just keep an eye on After Hours for a week and you'll see the sentiment amongst the Irish. Just to let you know you are not alone.

I will say this though, although in my case it was actually the majority of Irish people I knew that thought ill of America and Americans, there are some people in the country that don't hold prejudice. Just befriend those people and ignore the rest. Maybe the people aren't the best but the country is very beautiful and it's relatively safe compared to other developed countries. Also it's got a very laid back work environment with generous employee benefits. The music is great too and some of the sports is pretty decent.

I left Ireland because I was a bit down about it. Not because of the recession, I had a good job and was fine. I travelled a lot for business and started to stop feeling happy to come back to Ireland. I just left 2 months ago thinking I'd probably move back there to settle and possibly will. It could be a good idea to leave for a while and see how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I hear ya OP. I was born in America and my parents moved me to Ireland when I was a year old. I lived in Ireland for 26 years, all of my education was in Ireland, my father was Irish. I got an American twang from being around my mother growing up.

Hey, just because the OP's tanned doesn't mean he's not Irish, like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

humbert wrote: »
    Hey, just because the OP's tanned doesn't mean he's not Irish, like you.

Never said he wasn't Irish. He's just seen as different and never felt accepted. I see the similarities.

Not being Irish doesn't mean you shouldn't be accepted. Both of us are Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭franbe

scottish irish rant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

In fairness OP, forget anything to do with the GAA because slagging is the national sport of Ireland. Irish people love to slag each other, they will pick the first thing they see and slag, it's the Irish way of striking up a conversation and dealing with deep seated insecurities.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I cringe every time I see a tourist alighting at one of the busiest train stations in the country and walking down Talbot Street.

Dunno, train/bus stations always seem to be dog rough and in dog rough areas whatever country I've been too.

There are many things i dislike about my native land, but i'll defend Gaelic Games to the hilt, because they are worth defending.

You seem pretty biased here. The GAA is far from rosy. We'll agree to disagree. ;)

Go out sober some Saturday night in Dublin, or Cork. I'll tell you this, it's far more intimidating than any French or Italian city after dark!

I have done, many times. It's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Scummers seem more prevalent in the Britain/Ireland, certainly from my experience, probably down to our generous welfare system.

We have one of the lowest welfare systems in Europe...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

What about the severe racial riots in France and France indeed becoming less tolerant about diversity?

Same thing could apply to Italy and they have a very violent football sub-culture that often ends in lots of murder or serious injury just to give one example.

Every country has good and bad and really saturday night in Dublin for example is not that bad i travel home every saturday through town late in to the night and very rarely see any hassles, fights etc.

If you feel dis-connected from society then its probaly more your issue than society.

Gaa can be ripe with bullying and clannish mentality although like the priesthood i can see the good elements also.

Advertisement