Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Barber in Limerick II

• 07-07-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hey Folks - there was a thread on this already a couple of years back with it is out of date and locked so I thought it was time for a revisit to the topic.

I currently have no Barber to go to, to be honest just about anywhere I have gone over the past while has been too expensive and has had average to crap haircuts, theres the odd decent Barber and then you can also as easily get sat in front of the Moron who shaves bald semi-circles a full inch over both your ears!!!

As for the bargain basement ones - Ali's is cheap but its a lottery as some of the Barbers in their are totally shíte, also it can be like a Methadone clinic in there sometimes with the amount of fcuking Limerick Heads in there getting steps and blond spikes etc. I also dislike entering Limerick City due to traffic and parking problems and the state its in etc.

Westbury Stores is a complete disaster - has gone from €7 to €9 and there is either no Staff in the Barber part, so you wait 45 mins waiting for a Hairdresser to run in from the Salon next door or else they have a complete Newbie who is learning to cut hair completely unsupervised doing his best to work it all out???? (Blaming the cheap, crap Management not the poor clueless Learner BTW)

- Finally €20 for a ten minute haircut works out at €120 an hour - Ye are not fcuking Neurosurgeons Lads, why not charge a reasonable price, make a fair profit and fill those seats?

P.S. To any Girls who want to quote what ye are paying - Ye are fcuking nuts!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Eddie's in that little side street off Little Catherine Street. Nigel does a good job, is a sound bloke and I consider the 13 bucks for the chop a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

21 yoyos in Figaros - best place if you want a proper haircut by trained barbers

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Stuart74

You could try The Gentry in Raheen. I go to Dave there you can't miss him shaved head and arms fully of tats. Really nice guy. Paid €16 when I was there a couple of weeks ago. http://www.munsterbusiness.ie/thegentry/

Been going to him for years. He was originally in Rosini's and then had his own place in Caherdavin but that closed.

If Dave isn't there then the owner Pat might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Mc Love wrote: »
    21 yoyos in Figaros - best place if you want a proper haircut by trained barbers

Not paying it - but thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Does it have to be a barber? Or would you trust a hairdresser aswell? :)

• Advertisement

They always seem to brush off your face though as they reach around you to get to the awkward bits.....

- At least you have the cape to hide the aftermath :p

Ahem - Back on topic! What should a Barber charge?

I say €13 and throw them €15 if they actually put a bit of effort into it and pay some attention to detail leaving a nice tidy cut?

- Seems fair for 10 minutes work?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Stuart74 wrote: »
    You could try The Gentry in Raheen. I go to Dave there you can't miss him shaved head and arms fully of tats. Really nice guy. Paid €16 when I was there a couple of weeks ago. http://www.munsterbusiness.ie/thegentry/

Been going to him for years. He was originally in Rosini's and then had his own place in Caherdavin but that closed.

If Dave isn't there then the owner Pat might be.

If that where Dave ended up? I was going to him for a few years in his place out past LIT.

Would defo second him as a great barber, sound guy as well. Delighted that he has gotten work again, and I know where I will be going for my haircuts now, as I was going from place to place since Dave's place closed in Dec/Jan.

Kess73 wrote: »
    If that where Dave ended up? I was going to him for a few years in his place out past LIT.

Would defo second him as a great barber, sound guy as well.

Must be this Guy from the old thread then so Kess?

Will call in there so and see if he still has his Mojo ticking over......

What do ye think of when they grab the straight razor from the Counter top and go to tidy up your neck?????

Most places seem to use absolutely no sterilization and it seems like a handy way to get yourself a lifetime supply of Hepatitis or HIV/AIDs?????

- Not sure I like the odds with the mystery Jar of blue liquid which may or may not have an anti-viral agent added???

I just politely decline and ask for the electric option......

Raiser wrote: »
    Must be this Guy from the old thread then so Kess?

Will call in there so and see if he still has his Mojo ticking over......

Yep that is Dave. He always does a top job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

actually i had only seen this the other day where belissimo now do mens hair cuts, im rather curious to see how they'd do and i think its reasonable enough, wasnt paying much attention to the price but i think its around €20... :)

i used to go to garveys on i think is it denmark street? but after a while their €10 "does the job" haircuts shot up to €13.50, i could live with that i thought, til bloody hell they charged me €13.50 for my five year old son's haircut aswel!

and then, i asked for a little more off around the sides, and he goes "oh i'll hafta charge ya for two haircuts then"!!! :eek:

since then i go to figaros, and yes, it is €21 for a haircut, but damn its a proper haircut, not just an electric around the sides and wave a scissors round the top!

and my son the same then for €12.

i dont mind paying for something when i feel im getting value for money!

i also tried the towel shave in figaros, just out of curiosity as i'd never shaved with a cut-throat razor before. man, the guy REALLY knew what he was doing, even though i was frozen as a stone in the seat, haha, and then he proceeded to massage oils into my face and work the tension outta my shoulders! fantastic!

yes i left there my wallet feeling a little lighter (€21 for haircut, €25 for shave) but, gotta say, i'd a face smooth as a baby's bottom for about two days before i had any need to shave again!

definitely recommend them! :)

• Advertisement

Dont know about bellisimo as there is a huge difference I am led to believe between cutting mens and womens hair

Dont know about bellisimo as there is a huge difference I am led to believe between cutting mens and womens hair

i was always led to believe too that women can't cut mens hair, so imagine when i walked into figaros and as i chatted to the girl cutting my hair i discovered that its not so much that girls cant cut mens hair, its that hairdressers usually cater to women, whereas barbers cater to men, i wasnt even aware that there was such a thing as barber college, yep, she studied in england! mad! :D

but yeah, i did go to a female stylist once and thats exactly what she did, barely took anything off (my hair i mean! :rolleyes:) but just "styled" my hair and took £14 pounds it was at the time for a small pot of wax. never went near her again but she's a popular mens stylist/wannabe barber now in nenagh, never saw the attraction myself tbh but there ya go, just my opinion... :o

EDIT: oh yes, and also a nice touch was the offer of coffee after my haircut while i waited for a shave, and a great atmosphere in there too, excellent and very professional staff! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

goodfellas in foxs bow is really good its keith who used to work in rossinis who owns it. i think they charge about 13 to 16 euro a cut but its always done well and they take their time and always wash before the cut and will rinse again after it to get rid of those pesky hairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

bertisevil wrote: »
    goodfellas in foxs bow is really good its keith who used to work in rossinis who owns it. i think they charge about 13 to 16 euro a cut but its always done well and they take their time and always wash before the cut and will rinse again after it to get rid of those pesky hairs

I agree with this used to go to keith and rob in rossinis and now go to his new place got all my firends to start going there aswell couldnt recommend them highly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I recommend Niall Colgans- 25 for gents cut.

I do have long hair hence why I attend there but nontheless the standard is extremely high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

I'm in Dublin once a month and theres a guy there in the city centre 6 euro, and he does a proper job of it too, if I'm not in Dublin and need a haircut I chance Ali, probably because I usually get a cheap but good cut and the idea of forking out 15 euro just doesn't fit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I uesd to go to Dave too.

Now go to Carols on Mallow street.

kilburn wrote: »
    I uesd to go to Dave too.

Now go to Carols on Mallow street.

Is she good? I almost went to her last time out. Her prices are quite low. She had a sign out last saturday for a wash, cut and dry for €10.

I'm assuming that the small barber place across from the joke shop is Carols of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Is she good? I almost went to her last time out. Her prices are quite low. She had a sign out last saturday for a wash, cut and dry for €10.

I'm assuming that the small barber place across from the joke shop is Carols of course.

Ya on Mallow Street opposite the laundrete.
    Tenner tues - thurs plus she is sound

If you dont really care about how someone cuts your hair - cheap places
    If you do - more expensive places like figaro's etc

• Advertisement

Not to disrespect you personally McLovin - But if I could criticise that argument right there...... its plainly nonsense :eek:

Just from my own experience of seeing haircuts from cheaper places. Surely if you have a shaved head you can just go get it shaved in the cheaper place.

Have to disagree. When Dave was out in Identity, he was cheaper than the majority of barbers yet was easily as good as any of the lads in them.

Some cheap and cheaper places, pricewise, give service to match their prices whilst some give great service for the money, just as many of the places that charge more give very average service at a higher price.

Have to disagree. When Dave was out in Identity, he was cheaper than the majority of barbers yet was easily as good as any of the lads in them.

Some cheap and cheaper places, pricewise, give service to match their prices whilst some give great service for the money, just as many of the places that charge more give very average service at a higher price.

Thank you Kess.

Hopefully this thread will help separate the Hackers from the Craftsmen and the profiteering cross-eyed ones from the Barbers who expect a fair wage for a fair days work!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The Italian chap in Ali's gives me a very sharp haircut every time.
    Quick service there too.

€7 for the haircut and €3 tip and I'm a happy camper.

J.

Is there anyone decent over by Castletroy/Annacotty?

- Want to go on a lunch break and Town/Dooradoyle is too much of a trek.....

Max's is very hit and miss, Johnny (Over Rios) is the same as the Staff frequently change and he also never can quite seem to find your change outta €20 - despite pretending to look for 10 minutes.......

- Powercut is a Lay-dees Salon as far as I can tell......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

I went to the Gentry the other day,i was charged 18e and i have short hair,crazy price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Can't beat Conor in Peter Marks Crescent - €35ish but worth ever penny and more

i just thought i'd throw this in while this thread is back up-

belissimo are lookin for guys to get their hair cut, they're training the girls to cut guys hair, and best of all- its FREE!!

the girl i go to in there does a great job and gives me exactly what i want, and i'd be a picky f*cker! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

xsiborg wrote: »
    i just thought i'd throw this in while this thread is back up-

belissimo are lookin for guys to get their hair cut, they're training the girls to cut guys hair, and best of all- its FREE!!

the girl i go to in there does a great job and gives me exactly what i want, and i'd be a picky f*cker! :D

really?was gonna go get my haircut tomorrow.

What days?After closing time I'm guessing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement