Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Mediabox 'INIT' problem.

• 25-06-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Thomson UPC Mediabox which has never given me any troubler before.However,I plugged in the box this evening and I get no picture on my TV,and the box itself is showing the word 'INIT' on it's display.It's also unresponsive to the remote and to the buttons on the box itself.

Anybody know why it's doing this and how to fix it without arranging for a UPC technician to call out?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭shane.

you need to unplug box for about a minute, when it turns back on select ireland, you need to enter a 3 digit code, normally 131 for dublin, it'll search for channels then you should be fine, upc support can run through it with you over the phone also, no need to call someone out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Have tried unplugging it loads of times,it doesn't give me any options on screen at all, and the display on the box just says 'INIT' and wont respond if I press the UPC button on the remote or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

Have tried unplugging it loads of times,it doesn't give me any options on screen at all, and the display on the box just says 'INIT' and wont respond if I press the UPC button on the remote or anything.

Try pressing ok then the UPC button. That should bring the picture on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Thanks,it's working now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bbay

I am actually having this problem on an ongoing basis. For the last 2-3 days the box is freezing and will not respond. My only option is to power it down and restart. But then the init comes up and I have to go through the channel search every time. It works and doesn't take too long but I am guessing there is something wrong which I should take care of. It also seems to have decided to series link 'An Idiot abroad' , a program I have never recorded in my life and have no intentions to. It refuses to cancel the series link and point blank refuses to cancel the individual recording.
    Any suggestions or is my box haunted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 brady73

I have just changed from Sky to UPC and decided to go with self-install...yesterday evening. I too am getting INIT on the digi box and no response to the remote control. I powered down, pressed UPC button, etc to no avail.

So I called UPC and they tell me that I need to find a HDMI channel !?! How on earth do I do this? I have a Phillips HD ready TV and clearly have no technical ability.

Any pointers would be most appreciated before I have to pay for a technician.

Hi Brady73
    Are you getting any video output on your TV? When INIT comes up on the mediabox just power it on and you should get a screen with an 'Ireland' option on your TV. The HDMI channel is just one of the connections on the TV or mediabox like a SCART or coax connection. You will need a HDMI cable.

My INIT problem appears to have resolved itself. No INIT screens for the last week. And no phantom series links either. Here's hoping it stays that way.

Edit. On rereading, UPC may be telling you to find the channel on the TV where the mediabox is connected. I have several devices connected to my TV on different channels. I can scroll through these devices on my TV remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Murky Waters

brady73 wrote: »
    I have just changed from Sky to UPC and decided to go with self-install...yesterday evening. I too am getting INIT on the digi box and no response to the remote control. I powered down, pressed UPC button, etc to no avail.

So I called UPC and they tell me that I need to find a HDMI channel !?! How on earth do I do this? I have a Phillips HD ready TV and clearly have no technical ability.

Any pointers would be most appreciated before I have to pay for a technician.
    Look for a SOURCE or INPUT button on your tv remote. It will either toggle between TV inputs, or bring up an input selection menu. You use it to select different inputs on the TV, like the internal tuner or external connections, like a cable or satellite box or a DVD/BluRay player.

If you've connected your UPC box to your tv using a HDMI cable, choose one of the HDMI options (which exact one will depend on which HDMI socket you have used). If you've have connected using a SCART cable, choose that (will probably show as EXT or AV)

Hi bbay

Yes you seem to have identified my issue - finding the channel on my TV where the mediabox is connected. I'm getting a "no video signal" on the tv when everything is connected up (incl the HDMI cable).

From the main menu on my tv screen I'm choosing the most obvious "Digital Receiver" but just keep getting "no video signal" message.

I did install UPC on another (older) tv in the house and all went well! It seems the new tv is trickier - its a Philips HD ready job. I'm sure it's simple when you know how... but I don't!!

Hi Brady73
    I can only suggest trying all the options not just the 'digital receiver'. Murky Waters post seems to cover the options. I have a 'source' button on my TV remote which gives me HDMI1, HDMI2, EXT and so on. I have my BlueRay on HDMI2, my mediabox on HDMI1, an older recorder on EXT1. I can scroll through the list to pick the device I want. None of them are obvious and I had to label them myself so others could figure out which one to use!!
    Good luck with your efforts

• Advertisement

Thanks folks, I'll give it a go when I get home from work. Fingers crossed!

Turns out the cable at the second tv point had perished (!!) so I had to get an engineer to come out in the end... and he sorted everything out on Saturday - just in time for the Olympics, yay!

Thanks to all for their help, cheers.

Advertisement