Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands Bogus Beggers on Tv3

• 20-02-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,189 ✭✭✭✭

Those Roma seem to only come over here to beg on the streets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Make you feel big to go on a tv internet forum and vent your closet racism does it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,189 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Make you feel big to go on a tv internet forum and vent your closet racism does it? :rolleyes:

How about you watch the programme instead of accusing me of racism. Seems like its ok for some posters to be accusing others of these kind of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Toothpaste89

Never mind the beggers that Paul Connolly is sexy! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Maybe next week he"ll grow a pair and go after corrupt politicians and big businessmen instead of easy targets, unlikely seen as all he's fit for is Sunday World type "journalism".

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

since when were they a race?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

alright bleeding heart, find me one positive story regarding the Roma gypsies?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My friend is a Roma gypsy who's a university professor and a European arm-wrestling silver medallist (left and right arms).
    My other Roma friend is a lawyer.

So I guess they cancel each other out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As I stated myself, on this very same topic when it arose in After Hours...
    The programme tonight - for those that didn't watch it - stated that for all the rumours abounding at times about organised begging groups led by gang leaders, was in fact unfounded and that the journalist doing research over many months (and filmed them for that long) stated that he found NO instances of a lot of the stuff Rome beggars were accused of.

I though the Roma beggars actually came out of the programme in good light.
    The journalist showed that they while making very small money actually per day, they were not earning the massive amounts the usual crap Sunday rags spew out in possible flaming reporting, hyping up numbers for the sake of trying to sell their ink and paper!

FAR from showing them as the crap slanderous media would make out in hype and big headlines, the vast majority of them are struggling and while we don't like to see them begging, its a way of life that they only know of how to exist - be it in a country of their original ancestral base or here in Ireland.

If people have a particular gripe about SOME of them besides being a pain sometimes begging (and admittedly some of them are), I would suggest they ease up on the wide bashing of them unless they can back certain allegations or wise scale applied slanders up with actual real creditable evidence!

Some Roma are a pain when it comes to them begging - but as shown by the show on TV, some are also trying their best to do better than what they are usually portrayed as.
    A lot of legally allowed Roma now staying in the country are now also working, paying tax citizens too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

From what I read about the series it tried desperately to uncover a gang of beggars but ultimately failed. Similar to other TV3 docs that seem to think they uncovering something we didn't already know. Tabloid type stuff really. It was on a while back. I think I read 3 reviews in The Irish Times, The Sunday Business Post and the Sunday Times all of which pretty much stated the same thing.
    My friend is a Roma gypsy who's a university professor and a European arm-wrestling silver medallist (left and right arms).
    My other Roma friend is a lawyer.

My Roma friend comes around with her child and tells me she is praying for me! (That's my racism for they year done)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Biggins wrote: »
    As I stated myself, on this very same topic when it arose in After Hours...

FAR from showing them as the crap slanderous media would make out in hype and big headlines, the vast majority of them are struggling and while we don't like to see them begging, its a way of life that they only know of how to exist - be it in a country of their original ancestral base or here in Ireland.

If people have a particular gripe about SOME of them besides being a pain sometimes begging (and admittedly some of them are), I would suggest they ease up on the wide bashing of them unless they can back certain allegations or wise scale applied slanders up with actual real creditable evidence!

Some Roma are a pain when it comes to them begging - but as shown by the show on TV, some are also trying their best to do better than what they are usually portrayed as.
    A lot of legally allowed Roma now staying in the country are now also working, paying tax citizens too!

Well said but when it comes to Roma a lot of people don't let the truth get in the way of their prejudices, that programme always has ominous music and that dickw*ds sensationalist voice over and pieces to camera to give the impression that people are wrongdoers, pure tabloid muck, if TV3 was a newspaper it would be the Sunday World.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...if TV3 was a newspaper it would be the Sunday World.

True! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Look at you making an arse of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Look at you making an arse of yourself.

May as well call a spade a spade :)

Advertisement