Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malen To Mizen August 2011

• 21-07-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Well after years of thinking about it, it seems I'm finally going to attempt to cycle between Malin and Mizen Head over the first week in August 2011.

I've left my route totally open and don't even know is it Mizen to Malin or Malin to Mizen anybody any ideas on up or down or what not to miss. I know people suggest getting the Tarbert Ferry and going up the west coast but to me the ferry almost feels like cheating even though the distance is probably longer.

I've also decided today to try and raise a bit of money for the Irish Cancer Society, so will be doing a bit of fund raising, also have set up a donation page with the mycharity.ie, you can find it if your that way inclined at:

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/desdeeneysm2mattempt/

All suggestions, or donations much appreciated.

Malin to Mizen or Mizen to Malin 4 votes

Malin to Mizen
    0% 0 votes
    Mizen to Malin
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭dnme

I did it a cpl years ago, do yourself a favour and look into prevailing wind patterns. I reckon mizen to malin is thwe way to go, the odds are you'll have a greater chance of favourable wind direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

I did it with a bunch of friends over a week and we went Mizen to Malin and had tail winds all the way.

We kept a blog of our trip with a list of the B+B's we stayed in and garmin tracks of our exact route.

748km I think it was :)

We packed light. One set of cycling clothes and one set of evening wear and washed em. I didn't bring jeans (heavy) but brough light hiking pants as they are light.

http://mizenmalincycle.blogspot.com/

We took the ferry (two ferries I think). You get dropped right in Clare which is great rather than going around through Limerick I think its well worth it.

Loads of ways to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 des.deeney

Cheers dnme,

Solid advise I'd say. Found this handy little site, heres hoping they predict right.

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/wind/in/

Definately worth considering though, Mizen to Malin in lead by 1 at minute.........
    dnme wrote: »
    I did it a cpl years ago, do yourself a favour and look into prevailing wind patterns. I reckon mizen to malin is thwe way to go, the odds are you'll have a greater chance of favourable wind direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Mizen to Malin.

It's always better to be heading away from Cork.

Wind also.

Cheers Maloner,
    looks like you had a blast. Might be able to get my hands on a tracker....its in chain, fingers crossed. I think I'm leaning towards UP. I'm on my tod, advantages and disadvantages I suppose, at least I can stop when my legs fall off. Am also traveling very light, got a 12+3 litre rucksack and the largest saddle bag you can get, orbital, I think it was, its on order. All very last minute sort of stuff which I suppose is half the crack. Thanks for the post, I def. get a chance to read through the blog over the weekend. Cheers....
    maloner wrote: »
    I did it with a bunch of friends over a week and we went Mizen to Malin and had tail winds all the way.

We kept a blog of our trip with a list of the B+B's we stayed in and garmin tracks of our exact route.

748km I think it was :)

We packed light. One set of cycling clothes and one set of evening wear and washed em. I didn't bring jeans (heavy) but brough light hiking pants as they are light.

http://mizenmalincycle.blogspot.com/

We took the ferry (two ferries I think). You get dropped right in Clare which is great rather than going around through Limerick I think its well worth it.

Loads of ways to go though.

• Advertisement

Rebels Unite......
    Mizen to Malin.

It's always better to be heading away from Cork.

Wind also.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

des.deeney wrote: »
    Cheers Maloner,
    looks like you had a blast. Might be able to get my hands on a tracker....its in chain, fingers crossed. I think I'm leaning towards UP. I'm on my tod, advantages and disadvantages I suppose, at least I can stop when my legs fall off. Am also traveling very light, got a 12+3 litre rucksack and the largest saddle bag you can get, orbital, I think it was, its on order. All very last minute sort of stuff which I suppose is half the crack. Thanks for the post, I def. get a chance to read through the blog over the weekend. Cheers....

Having bags on the bike are good I found. I had a backpack (20l) and a 5 litre bag on the handle bars of my road bike and was fine.

If you're in the market for staying in B+B's dont bring a towel, use theirs. Only bring enough soap for you'll use. Dont bring gallons of shower gel if you wont use it. Feck it, you'll be on your own, don't bring any :).

Find room for biofreeze gel and apply liberally to the legs. Its fab stuff.

Oddly enough, the steepest hill we did was the very last 100m to malin head. Sharp little fecker. Something to look forward to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

i did thsi back during easter, had sweet fa of bike experience and we did it over 4 days

totally agree , the last 100 m is a complete biatch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭dnme

glennbhoy wrote: »
    i did thsi back during easter, had sweet fa of bike experience and we did it over 4 days

totally agree , the last 100 m is a complete biatch

Yea especially when there are loads of people there looking at you. I walked the dam thing, exhausted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

has any of you folks done this route mizen to malin on fully loaded bikes camping all the way, i'm looking for a really nice route quiet roads scenic if possible thinking of doing 50to 60 miles a day tops but need campsites along the way any help great appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

I have done Mizen to Fair (and vice versa) a few times alone. That's the most South Western point to the most North Eastern. Keeping stops to a minimum it takes me around 30 hours. Mizen and Fair are both exceptionally pretty, but there's not much to see in the Midlands apart from a bit in Athlone. The flat middle bit is easy on the legs though. If starting in Antrim, rail and bus connections work fairly well. Starting from Mizen is harder - I think Millstreet is the nearest rail stop and the bus connection to Mizen (Goleen) is infrequent. I try and get a lift home from family (purely 'cos I am knackered). Currently planning a re-run for the Easter - so might see you there. I will look at conditions close to the day and decide which end to start. I found the quality of the road surface in Cork fairly punishing last time so I was glad to be starting there. Rough road hurts more when tired and sore. I cycled through Limerick; my focus was on the shortest/quickest route and though I went a bit astray I did 618 Km travelling as light as possible. I'd recommend it to anyone but understand most wouldn't fancy it. Sunrise in Mizen was unforgettable and a sunset in Fair Head equally. And don't tell anyone along the way what you are doing because no-one will believe it much less understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

RV wrote: »
    I have done Mizen to Fair (and vice versa) a few times alone. That's the most South Western point to the most North Eastern. Keeping stops to a minimum it takes me around 30 hours. Mizen and Fair are both exceptionally pretty, but there's not much to see in the Midlands apart from a bit in Athlone. The flat middle bit is easy on the legs though. If starting in Antrim, rail and bus connections work fairly well. Starting from Mizen is harder - I think Millstreet is the nearest rail stop and the bus connection to Mizen (Goleen) is infrequent. I try and get a lift home from family (purely 'cos I am knackered). Currently planning a re-run for the Easter - so might see you there. I will look at conditions close to the day and decide which end to start. I found the quality of the road surface in Cork fairly punishing last time so I was glad to be starting there. Rough road hurts more when tired and sore. I cycled through Limerick; my focus was on the shortest/quickest route and though I went a bit astray I did 618 Km travelling as light as possible. I'd recommend it to anyone but understand most wouldn't fancy it. Sunrise in Mizen was unforgettable and a sunset in Fair Head equally. And don't tell anyone along the way what you are doing because no-one will believe it much less understand it.
    rv i'm ashamed to say i don't know my own country at all only my own end northeast coast and bits of northern ireland.
    next year i'm planing of getting to mizen with a few English lads from the fell club and cycling 50to60 miles a day to malin.but i need advice on a good route OK i have the map of Ireland but what the hell I'm looking at is a pure mystery :D:D i'm not a great climber but as this will be a one off and i want to show these lads the best of our great little country i guess i may do molls gap and a few other scenic climbs .so as a man that did it all any help on route advice would be greatly appreciated.;)

Advertisement