Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Decaux stickers around Dublin: "We stole your fu**ing bicycle".

• 22-02-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone notice these black stickers on the stainless Steel bike posts at the top of Grafton ST and around the city? "JC Deecaux "We stole your fu**ing bicycle".

Someone with a sense of humor printed a good few of them, professionally done in black with the Dublin City Council crest. Very funny. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Anyone got a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

We know it was you Run_to_da_hills, you shameless self-promoter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

beans wrote: »
    We know it was you Run_to_da_hills, you shameless self-promoter :)
    I would have about 20 years ago in collage. :p
    72hundred wrote: »
    Anyone got a pic?
    If I get in during the week,It was too datk with cam phone. Theres another one on the Dawsom St bike rack opposite Waterstones.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rabalder

there is some on the bike rails across the road form Whelans, just outside Eddied. I was curious too about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

on the bike rails across the road form Whelans...

The very one:

3304664080_65d5c26764.jpg

Note the DCC logo :)

3303834655_6e12c66dc6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

my eh ..... "friend"
    had this idea to make a large stencil
    asking "where are the f*cking bikes"
    and to spray over the JC Decaux ads,
    would sort of highlight the issue.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

i'm probably just being thick, but i know there's a clever side to this but i'm not getting it...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Decaux signed a deal with Dublin City Council to provide bikes for public rental around the city, similar to the Velib system in Paris. In exchange, Decaux were allowed to put up a load of fancy advertising panels.

The panels have been going up all over the place, but still no sign of the bikes: that's the point being made by the stickers.

There's a few discussions on here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055485537

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055485398

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329731

and several others, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Ah everything is so much clearer,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

my eh ..... "friend"
    had this idea to make a large stencil
    asking "where are the f*cking bikes"
    and to spray over the JC Decaux ads,
    would sort of highlight the issue.........

I absolutely could not support such an action. It would be too damn hilarious, and I might spill coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I absolutely could not support such an action. It would be too damn hilarious, and I might spill coffee.

:)

How much would it cost to buy adspace on one of those things so we could put up a BIG poster that says "Where are our Feckin' bikes???"

Decaux signed a deal with Dublin City Council to provide bikes for public rental around the city, similar to the Velib system in Paris. In exchange, Decaux were allowed to put up a load of fancy advertising panels.

The panels have been going up all over the place, but still no sign of the bikes: that's the point being made by the stickers.
    JC Decaux is hoping that the Government will forget about the bicycles amongst all the confusion of more serious state issues. The fact that the Government could be liable if there were an excess of stolen and vandalized bicycles could also be a reason for trying to shove the project under the carpet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

el tonto wrote: »
    3306672552_a48df08bb7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

These stickers seem a bit unfocussed. Maybe the way to satirise the whole selling-off-of-public property by DCC might be to stencil/sticker public buildings, wear t-shirts/caps etc. reading "PROPERTY OF JC DECAUX".

These stickers are professionally produced, they could be the product of one of JC Decauxes competitors. There is a lot of bitterness among other media display companies over this deal. We may see more of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

These stickers are professionally produced, they could be the product of one of JC Decauxes competitors. There is a lot of bitterness among other media display companies over this deal. We may see more of them. :)

... Nha ... it's probably the work of some hippy-vegan-cycling-artist-type ( no offence )

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

... Nha ... it's probably the work of some hippy-artist-cycling-vegan-type ( no offence )

Agreed.

The conspiracy theory forum is that way
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bfc

here's another - think it was aungier street? lamp post.

bike-sticker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

This stuff is confusing. What is the source of the voice behind these stickers? The ones about the bikes seem to be someone other than JC Decaux. The one on the lamp post (above) seems like it's supposed to be spoken by JC Decaux themselves.

I suspect this is some sort of guerilla art/1st-year-NCAD project. There's a good idea in there - shame it's confusingly executed.
    bfc wrote: »
    here's another - think it was aungier street? lamp post.

bike-sticker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I suspect this is some sort of guerilla art/1st-year-NCAD project. There's a good idea in there - shame it's confusingly executed.

I doubt the Thomas Str. potheads would manages something like this.

(72hundred sits back and waits for the slagging for such slander on the fine students of NCAD!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd watch out there 72oo, there is at least one NCAD student on this very forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think I saw this one on a hoarding. Apologies for the bluriness.

73507.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It does seem to be carried out by a group who are not happy with JCDecaux's lack of bike supply for Dublin. When are the bikes due? I mean the signs have been in place for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

A little of topic but has anyone seen the I love lamp stickers around?

@Victor- that is the best one yet, I genuinely LOLed.

Victor wrote: »
    I think I saw this one on a hoarding. Apologies for the bluriness.
    LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    I'd watch out there 72oo, there is at least one NCAD student on this very forum!

Hmmmm, who's the most pretentious poster here, that'll be them.... :D

Hmmmm, who's the most pretentious poster here, that'll be them.... :D
    You might be surprised Tiny, if you came out on the Saturday Spins any more you would meet these people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    You might be surprised Tiny, if you came out on the Saturday Spins any more you would meet these people :)

Yes yes yes yes yes, I know it's been a while, but the real world's been getting in the way lately... bet I wouldn't be surprised though :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 bfc

here's another from the trip to work today. very random indeed. apologies for quality - off the phone again.

bike-sticker-cats.jpg

Advertisement