Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many Irish in the British Army...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

OS119 wrote: »
    whoever says that is a liar, and whoever believes it is a moron.

the UK has two 'spearhead' formations - 16AA Bde and 3Cdo Bde - which, on the whole, are the first units to be deployed to any particular conflict. 1RI is a constituant part of 16X, but its the 'roundout' unit, not one of the parachute Bn's - its job is to fight, but its not intended to be the first unit of the Bde into action. its soldiers don't do P Coy, don't do the BPC, and aren't recruited or trained in the same way as the Parachute Regiment Bn's.

i'm fairly sure that the BA hasn't used an Irish unit as the spearhead force since WW2 - of course all of the units involved in combat operations do so publicly, all of this stuff - which units did what - is publicly available, so i'm amazed that there's anyone stupid enough to actually believe the kind of crap that some - no doubt poltically motivated - come out with.

unless of course this is the same kind of idiocy which says that the BA has formed units of orphans and the friendless who's deaths/maimings can be denied because no one asks about them...?

The Irish Guards battlegroup were the Spearhead force in Iraq, first into Basra also first into Kosovos capital Pristina.

In mechanised infantry campaigns with no infantry air assault component, mechanised infantry are often first in to towns and cities, as with Basra.

If needed the Paras role in such operations is to seize the airports and high ground, which was their role in Kosovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

feeney92 wrote: »
    Oh please God make it stop!!
    I found that post ridiculously hard to read.
    Please use fulls stops and commas!!

and not to be a grammar Nazi but 'untrue' is one fecking word, not 'un true'. Is it a requirement to be literate in the BA??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

People, I'm sorry to be pedantic and OT, but please stop referring to the Republic of Ireland as Southern Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

full_irish wrote: »
    and not to be a grammar Nazi but 'untrue' is one fecking word, not 'un true'. Is it a requirement to be literate in the BA??
    Is it a bit much to be claiming im illiterate.
    Grammar police thank you

beco2010 wrote: »
    Is it a bit much to be claiming im illiterate.
    Grammar police thank you

Yes, you are correct Sir. But I say it only with love and affection, so it's graaand. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

deccurley wrote: »
    People, I'm sorry to be pedantic and OT, but please stop referring to the Republic of Ireland as Southern Ireland!
    Sorry to be pedantic but stop referring to the Republic of Ireland. It's just Ireland. And for Gawd's sake don't say Eire or even Éire.:P

xflyer wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic but stop referring to the Republic of Ireland. It's just Ireland. And for Gawd's sake don't say Eire or even Éire.:P

For the purpose of this discussion there is a need to distinguish between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

'Ireland' per se is not a country. It is a geographical term to describe the island on which both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are situated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I am ex BA Royal Engineers, left the forces as a Captain after 15 years. Went through the ranks from Pte (sapper) to SGT in 10 years then did a late entry into Sandhurst where I made Captain.

Joined at 16 because I could and always wanted to be soldier for as long as I can remember, I wanted the adventure the Irish DF could not provide by wanting to go into battle and also naively wanted to drive tanks:D

The Falklands War was a serious influence as I must have watched every footage and collected the magazine series that ran soon after. I knew every battle in detail and I must have been around 12 at the time.

krissovo wrote: »
    I am ex BA Royal Engineers, left the forces as a Captain after 15 years. Went through the ranks from Pte (sapper) to SGT in 10 years then did a late entry into Sandhurst where I made Captain.

That's some good going. Definitely wouldn't be getting through the promotions at that rate in the DF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure its refered to as southern Ireland because, the person who asks the question wants to find out how many people from the Republic are in the BA rather than those from north who consider themselves Irish

Christ this happens in every damn thread. I thought I had avoided this by clarifying in OP.

And for the record everyone from the island of Ireland are Irish.
    Ireland, the island in northwestern Europe, and the countries located on it:
    Republic of Ireland (also Éire, when writing in Irish), a sovereign state that comprises most of the island, legally described as the Republic of Ireland
    Northern Ireland, a constituent country of the United Kingdom that comprises the north-eastern sixth of the island

when you have to quote wiki to show things to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

The Irish make the best soldiers in the world, when fighting for someone else.

I was QRL for a while going back in as QRH soon, getting paid to stay fit should have been a no brainer the first time. Making a concerted effort to grizz it out for the required time until I can be considered for the photographers course but that'll be many years down the line.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

full_irish wrote: »
    'Ireland' per se is not a country. It is a geographical term to describe the island on which both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are situated.

Read the constitution, it says very clearly that the name of this state is Ireland in English or Éire in Irish.

Turbine wrote: »
    Read the constitution, it says very clearly that the name of this state is Ireland in English or Éire in Irish.

Didn't your mother always tell you not to believe everything you read? :p

But point accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Tomfrancey

Well guys, I am thinking of joining the BA and just wondering if some of you following this thread mite be able to help me. I am from the south and have just turned 28, I am a non smoker and fairly fit so don't think fitness would be a problem. The problem i do have though, after I filled up the forms my girlfriend done some research and is afraid that as soon as I am trained up that I will be sent on over seas duty long term and we will never get to see each other.

I have been working as a carpenter for the last ten years so hoping to train as a carpenter if I get in, or maybe a truck driver as I have some experience in that as well, but dose anyone know what will happen after I am trained, will I be sent abroad straight away or what usually happens new recruitments? Also as I am from the south and will be over two hours from home will it be possible for me to get home much when I am training?

Any info would great cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Tomfrancey wrote: »
    Well guys, I am thinking of joining the BA and just wondering if some of you following this thread mite be able to help me. I am from the south and have just turned 28, I am a non smoker and fairly fit so don't think fitness would be a problem. The problem i do have though, after I filled up the forms my girlfriend done some research and is afraid that as soon as I am trained up that I will be sent on over seas duty long term and we will never get to see each other.

I have been working as a carpenter for the last ten years so hoping to train as a carpenter if I get in, or maybe a truck driver as I have some experience in that as well, but dose anyone know what will happen after I am trained, will I be sent abroad straight away or what usually happens new recruitments? Also as I am from the south and will be over two hours from home will it be possible for me to get home much when I am training?

Any info would great cheers.

Carpenter your looking at royal engineers, that's well over a year training before your settled at regiment and trained in your role. You wont get posted until that's done and dusted and without getting posted you wont go to afghan.

Going as a driver is a bit different. You could join RLC as a driver (yawn) or the cavalry as a tank driver as you'll be placed on better courses suited to the role. Main battle tank regiments are being re-roled as light armoured so you'll be training as armoured infantry and not as old school fat tankies! Good for some bad for others.

My best advice is to kiss the lass goodbye for a while unless your married to her/planning on getting married. You can get hitched accommodation if you get your wedding band on, otherwise you'll be in shared accommodation with the rest of your troop. Which is class, bit like sharing a house with your mates again I suppose.

Other than that a few of the lads know some fine brothels in Paderborn if you go hussars :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Tom,

i would suggest that RE is definately your best option career wise, but look at the website, check out the RE section on Arrse and decide for yourself.

if you applied now you'd be lucky to join within 6 months - a year is far more likely - your training will takeat least a year, and you then get posted to a unit and are in the deployment cycle of that unit. currently the plan is that UK forces will be in a 'supporting' role in Afghanistan by late 2013, with all UK combat forces out of Afghanistan by 31st December 2014.

your girlfriend is a bright girl, get her to do the maths.

while there are units currently in germany - as in thats where they are based, thats where their wives live, thats where their children go to school - the UK govt has said that BFG will close with all units returning to the UK by 2020.

so, you will almost certainly be based in Britain, unless you go to 33 Regt in which case you will be based in NI. you generally go on tour with your unit for up to 6 months, with approx 20 - 30 months between each tour. however, you and your girlfriend need to understand that you would be joining a fighting, expeditionary Army that is the servant of a state that has no qualms about using force worldwide to protect its interests and will do so in the future knowing that it will have people killed and seriously injured while doing so - you would not be joining the engineering department of a county council with a funny uniform. one of the many roles of the RE is as search teams in Afghanistan - you would be looking for IED's with a stick. its dangerous.

you could be deployed to Cyprus for two years (accompanied if you are married), the Falklands for 4 to 6 months, Ascension Island, Kenya, Canada, Tristan de Chuna, St Helena, Benbecula or even Surrey.

you should consider writing off your relationship during the first 3 to 4 months of your training - you will get some weekends off, but you'll be either asleep or sorting your kit out. after that it settles down, but it will be much easier if your GF comes to you instead of you going to her. you will also be the oldest in your recruit troop, you will be expected to show maturity and leadership by the DS, but you'll also have to fit in with a load of 19 and 20 yo's.

its a good career, and RE's have an excellent reputation within the Army for building a bar and BBQ wherever they go as well as having a relaxed, competant atmosphere within the units - but don't join looking fo a job and then get upset when that job happens to be building a runway in a place you've never heard of for 6 months. be realistic when deciding if its for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

+1 to OS119 great post.

I'd like to add that the Royal Engineers have probably earned more medals in combat than any other branch of the British Army for the simple reason that the role of the combat engineer is not only to destroy, but to clear and build.

The RE have to go first to clear the way for tanks and any other vehicles - mines, y'know, IED's - that kind of thing....often, as OS119 notes, with a pointy stick that often goes 'beep'...or not.

Before the tanks can do their impressive 'storning across the battlefield' thing, not only does the way have to be clear, but they'll be needing the odd bridge or ten to cross gaps.

Guess who does that.

Under fire.

Demolition?

Royal Engineers.

Construction?

Yup, them again.

There is no doubt that without them, the rest of the Army goes nowhere.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If your a carpenter now steer clear of the army trade of carpenter! You will more than likely only pick up your tools once every year on minor construction projects or make plaques for sergeant majors as you are first a soldier and second a combat engineer. I doubt there are any chippy shops running in the army any more and if they are then I am certainly positive a ex army chippie will be doing the job.

I would suggest you get a new trade, if you went as a chippy you start from the beginning and will waste a year doing stuff you already know. Do a plumbing course or something and then you will still pick up your chippy tools as you have experience but also a secondary trade!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Im married with mortgaged house and all in Laois but i've just sent off my application today for either the Para's or RIR. If I do good on the barb test maybe they might be able to suggest something else to me but I want to be on the frontline not in afganastian at base fixing things frontline.

As it stands my wife has lived in Donegal for work and college since last July and I've stayed in Laois. So there is no fear of us crying that we don't see each other but of course we will miss each other really bad sometimes but we are both aware il be based in the UK for life as long as im in the army. If it means we only get to see each other every weekend of every 2nd then so be it. I know its not a proper marriage as some people would see a marriage but you take it as it comes. She might try get work in the UK and come over to me and get rid of house in Laois. Am I making sence in what I say?

Just to Add To OS's Post, Currently the BA have said that they are planning to withdraw from Afghanistan in 2014, a mate of mine,who only finished training 2 weeks ago has told me that they have started "penciling in tours for 2015 already" so be under no illusion, you more than likely will be deployed there.

Well Feeney hows tricks :) You staying put till you finish college?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...Am I making sence in what I say?

you certainly are - at least you understand whats involved. during 'normal' times you'll probably get away with a 'one weekend in two' plan, but in high tempo times like the 4 or 5 months in the run up to a deployment you'll be hard pushed to get any decent weekends in at all. beware of that.

also, don't get into this idea that only the infantry go forward - its crap. there's not a single cap badge, even the AGC, that isn't going to go out on patrol in Helmand province tomorrow...

OS119 wrote: »
    you certainly are - at least you understand whats involved. during 'normal' times you'll probably get away with a 'one weekend in two' plan, but in high tempo times like the 4 or 5 months in the run up to a deployment you'll be hard pushed to get any decent weekends in at all. beware of that.

also, don't get into this idea that only the infantry go forward - its crap. there's not a single cap badge, even the AGC, that isn't going to go out on patrol in Helmand province tomorrow...

AGC? Army ground crew (air corps)? I know it will be difficult to see my wife at times and il explain it to her if im accepted. She will understand im sure. The fact that we have been living apart for so long now will help alot I think. I know what you mean about anyone going forward. I put my application through online and heard nothing then today I got another one through the post with a BARD test booklet and other paperwork. Sent back the application today but didn't put army air corps on it :mad: which was a role I had on my online application. I mention it to them after the BARB tests and see what they think :). Im saying Army ground crew in the hopes to get into Air crew at some stage :).

BTW can anyone shed light on the pay rates? It says new entrants 1158 pm then private 1/ 1439, private 3/ 1517 and private 4/ 1648. I know each level is a rank better but how long is a new entrant a new entrant? Also private level 1,3 and 4 are they the phases of training? So you would 1517 after your 6 months basic training cause you would have finished you phase 2 and 3 training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

AGC?

Adjutant General Corps

Donny5 wrote: »
    Adjutant General Corps

Grand thanks, have no idea what they do but im guessing they are not usually at the front?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Grand thanks, have no idea what they do but im guessing they are not usually at the front?

Yeah, they take care of administration, and load of other services support.

Advertisement