Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike on the Royal Canal

• 03-06-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone has caught pike on the royal canal ( within the Dublin area ). I'm living right beside it and might give it a go tomorrow. I've talked to a few people and they reckon Maynooth is the closest place to go.

But I've cycled up the canal a few times ( from City to M50 flyover ) and noticed some nice spots.

I'm not looking for any secret spots, but if I knew there was pike there to be caught I'd give it a go.

Usually I have to go to Leixlip Reservoir, but have only caught one pike in the last three sessions.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

There are pike in it.

Backpack, lure rod and walk and cast every few metres at likely features.

You can hop on a train back home which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Yllonnoc

Cool, thanks. I might just give that a go.

No luck at all today. I went from Phibsborough all the way up to M50, using a plug. Didn't even get a bite.

Its very weedy so the plug that sat on top of the water was the best option.

I got chatting to a few people and one guy caught two pike about 12 inches long. So at least I know they are in there.

It might have been too bright out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Weed Growth is an issue this time on year on that stretch. If it was me I would fish from the M50 out and ideal time is feb/march.

I have never done well on surface poppers on the canals

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭fiacha

I'm seeing a lot more boats on it this year. The boat traffic and opening of the locks should help a bit with the weed. The last couple of years it was completely blocked with weed around Ashtown.

I'd take a train out and fish back towards the city. Try and find out where the clubs are match fishing. The pike won't be far away from the silver fish.

• Advertisement

Ok, sorry for the delay in getting back. I had two more trips up the canal last week. Caught a small jack pike about 12 inches long again on the plug.

On the second trip I had a nice pike on ( maybe 5/6 lbs ) but he got away.

Both fish were hooked within walking distance of Phibsborough ( a good walk, but walking distance all the same ).

I didn't go as far as the M50 this time.

I don't think anyones going to catch huge fish but its nice to know that there are fish in the canals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Yllonnoc wrote: »
    Caught a small jack pike......I don't think anyones going to catch huge fish but its nice to know that there are fish in the canals.

I think above all the Pike have been targeted and probably hit harder in recent years, than the other coarse fish in the Canals.
    I remember seeing cracking Pike in the Canal, but generally not real big ones. 16lb is the biggest I've seen but she is the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Friend of mine had a nice 12/13 pounder in maynooth area last week. It was a nice fish. So the decent ones are still there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

kwik wrote: »
    Friend of mine had a nice 12/13 pounder in maynooth area last week. It was a nice fish. So the decent ones are still there

Seen a few being caught in Maynooth and Kilcock. The Maynooth ones were late in the evening, before dusk. The one I saw best was about 15 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

COYW wrote: »
    kwik wrote: »

Seen a few being caught in Maynooth and Kilcock. The Maynooth ones were late in the evening, before dusk. The one I saw best was about 15 pounds.

Yeah he caught in the evening. Fishing is good there at the moment. He groundbaited it and the only fish they didnt catch was a tench. Thats not a bad day at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Yeah have saw some decent pike come out of it the past few weeks, I've got a good few the last few evenings even caught the same pike twice. I also saw a lad catch one that must of been 15 pounds at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Yllonnoc wrote: »
    Cool, thanks. I might just give that a go.

Just wondering if you had much luck along the canal?

Gumbo1,

I haven't been up that way since June last year. I've just started thinking about it again, I'm due another walk. I'd recommend it if you just want to get out of the house for a bit. You're not going to catch any monsters, but there's definitely some fish there. Look out for some features, overhanging trees etc. That's where I've had the most luck.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

just out of curiosity, are pike caught generally released?

grew up on the banks of the grand canal in offaly in the 80s, and spent all our free time fishing and some great pike caught , great memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Not if you're Eastern European they ain't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

rje66 wrote: »
    just out of curiosity, are pike caught generally released?

grew up on the banks of the grand canal in offaly in the 80s, and spent all our free time fishing and some great pike caught , great memories.

The Canals are generally Catch & Release. The 2006 Pike Bye law (809) protects ALL Pike over 50cm (About 20").
    It's probably fair to say that, sadly, Pike have been targeted for the table to some extent in the Canal by a minority of anglers who have a tradition of eating Coarse fish.

I'd always release anything I'd catch...I just fish for the sport ( and fresh air ).

Advertisement